A question regarding Mana affinity/nature

Spilled_Soup

We've all seen stories written about lightning mages, pyromancers going around burning shit up. Even the cloud surfers who conjure blades of wind, or the lurkers in the dark that teleport between shadows. Not to mention those cloaked perverts, who interfere with time to make you forget they touched you.

My question is, what are some badass, flashy elements that don't often get the credit they deserve? I've dabbled with Earth benders before, which led me to iron. Light may come to mind to others, but I think that's a pretty common element as well. List any elements you have in mind down below. A blend of elements is also fine.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
definitely metal.

it's harder than rock, can be melt with enough heat, a good insulator to flowing an electricity, etc.

it's supposed to be a very versatile substance in the world of magic, but most people just depict it as something frail that could be cut with just a wind blade or something.

Spilled_Soup

definitely metal.

it's harder than rock, can be melt with enough heat, a good insulator to flowing an electricity, etc.

it's supposed to be a very versatile substance in the world of magic, but most people just depict it as something frail that could be cut with just a wind blade or something.
True. I feel like it's also versatile. Like you can have it channel/conduct mana, which is often the case. But then you could flip that to have it absorb mana, binding someone in chains or shackles.

I like elements that behave in different or unusual ways. Ex: a Pyromancer who's a healer/ buff instead of a damage dealer.

Agentt

Thighs
Reality bending gets the least spotlight. This is from one of my unfinished works.
At basic level, you can only solidify or liquidity reality. Logic? Eh consider reality as a bunch of sheets of paper, separate them, we got liquefied, bring them closer, we got it solidify. Uses, at this level, it just causes air to look weird.
Next step, illusions. Take one or more sheets of paper mentioned above, and try to wrap it all around d the room. Beginners use a perfect cube room.
Next step, teleportation
Next step, slow/fast time. Can even stop it after training.
Next step, manipulate matter anyway. Initially, you can only increase the gravity.
Next step, everything.

Sylvie

Those days are gone, now the memory's on the wall
Reality bending gets the least spotlight. This is from one of my unfinished works.
At basic level, you can only solidify or liquidity reality. Logic? Eh consider reality as a bunch of sheets of paper, separate them, we got liquefied, bring them closer, we got it solidify. Uses, at this level, it just causes air to look weird.
Next step, illusions. Take one or more sheets of paper mentioned above, and try to wrap it all around d the room. Beginners use a perfect cube room.
Next step, teleportation
Next step, manipulate matter anyway. Initially, you can only increase the gravity.
Next step, everything.
Reality bending sounds like the most broken concept ever. It is literally unbeatable if you think about it. Unless everyone is varying levels proficient in reality bending, it doesn't seem like it would work when incorporated into a work with other types of powers. It encompasses all other types of control too. But it does sound like an amazing idea to work with. Especially battles at lower levels. There are so many creative methods to win so it will be the most direct confrontation of two people's intelligence. At higher levels though, there's no fun if you can just destroy everything with a snap of your finger.

Agentt

Thighs
Reality bending sounds like the most broken concept ever. It is literally unbeatable if you think about it. Unless everyone is varying levels proficient in reality bending, it doesn't seem like it would work when incorporated into a work with other types of powers. It encompasses all other types of control too. But it does sound like an amazing idea to work with. Especially battles at lower levels. There are so many creative methods to win so it will be the most direct confrontation of two people's intelligence. At higher levels though, there's no fun if you can just destroy everything with a snap of your finger.
Yeah, my work included gods fighting sooo. Still, it can be taken advantage of. Remember the shitori scene from no game no life? Isn't that op as hell.

CypherTails

Flesh Magic, its basically the more messed up version of Hemomancy or Blood Magic with a touch of Soul Magic.

Which is the ability to alter living creatures and bodies. Essentially creating living weapons. Like turning arm bones into blades, fire bone projectiles filled with toxins, pathogens and acids naturally found in the creatures body. You can turn babies and children into running bombs, morph adults into flesh golems. Really crazy stuff, but quite powerful in my opinion. Afterall humans are most vulnerable to our own diseases and parasites, that and the psychological fear of fighting horribly distorted versions of humans makes it really effective as way of magical combat.

Basically think necromancy but the caster isn't kind enough to kill the subject first.

Spica66

If the story features modern magic and the user has science knowledge, light is definitely badass.

Sylvie

Those days are gone, now the memory's on the wall
There are quite a few types of magic that do not get enough attention even though they are mentioned in a lot of works.

Illusion magic: There are almost no main characters that are ever proficient in this type even though it can be incredibly useful. Although it can be argued that illusions are a part of light magic, the works that have light magic rarely give importance to illusions.

Life magic: Basically even though some works have been popping up with healers because of their popularity in MMORPGs, genuine life magic is rarely seen. Even most healers are made out to be a product of light or water magic. Despite the popularity of its counter (necromancy), it remains unpopular.

Space magic: Every time I see a mention of space magic and the protags act like they are so damn smart to discover teleportation and act like that is the smartest way of using space magic, I feel like laughing in their faces. (Versatile mage has decent space magic but due to limitations of the system of the novel, we get to see very very limited number of spells so that sucks.)

Also destruction magic and seer magic seem to have a lot of potential.

Agentt

Thighs
Yeah, well
There are quite a few types of magic that do not get enough attention even though they are mentioned in a lot of works.

Illusion magic: There are almost no main characters that are ever proficient in this type even though it can be incredibly useful. Although it can be argued that illusions are a part of light magic, the works that have light magic rarely give importance to illusions.

Life magic: Basically even though some works have been popping up with healers because of their popularity in MMORPGs, genuine life magic is rarely seen. Even most healers are made out to be a product of light or water magic.

Space magic: Every time I see a mention of space magic and the protags act like they are so damn smart to discover teleportation and act like that is the smartest way of using space magic, I feel like laughing in their faces. (Versatile mage has decent space magic but due to limitations of the system of the novel, we get to see very very limited number of spells so that sucks.)
Space magic, huh. There is honestly no use I can think of it. Like use it as a pocket or like a glutonine. What else can you think of

D

Deleted member 45782

If you do not posses this magic in reality, I am worried about you.:blob_evil:
You're right. That just sounds like someone who is constipated.

Should I specify creating gas as in, creating toxic gas that can deter or vanquish your enemies completely?

Spica66

If the story features modern magic and the user has science knowledge, light is definitely badass.
Let me elaborate

Mess with opponent/camera vision (Illusion)? checked.
Invisibility (optical camouflage)? checked.
Finding weakness (photo-scatterograph and x-ray in general)? checked.
Information gathering (including ToF)? checked.
Can provide support (for example create UI for a party as a map)? checked.
Destruction? checked.

There are more light applications~

Last edited:

Spilled_Soup

Next step, teleportation
Next step, everything.

You're right. That just sounds like someone who is constipated.

Should I specify creating gas as in, creating toxic gas that can deter or vanquish your enemies completely?
This brings to mind Smoker, and that gas clown from One Piece.
Yeah, well

Space magic, huh. There is honestly no use I can think of it. Like use it as a pocket or like a glutonine. What else can you think of
Check out Law from One Piece. I love the way Oda utilitizes his "Space" Devil Fruit. It's a bit comical, and the main function of the power is to Operate on whatever is inside of Law's domain / "Room", as he calls it. But nonetheless he has decent techniques.

Agentt

Thighs
This brings to mind Smoker, and that gas clown from One Piece.

Check out Law from One Piece. I love the way Oda utilitizes his "Space" Devil Fruit. It's a bit comical, and the main function of the power is to Operate on whatever is inside of Law's domain / "Room", as he calls it. But nonetheless he has decent techniques.
I never understood laws power. Like, he breaks space, but that means the victim should still be able to move, like buggy fruit.

Alienix

definitely metal.

agree. I only know one story with metal based power. that is Mistborn Trilogy. This is an untapped elemental. people need to use this elemental more if they plan to make elemental based magic power stories.

True. I feel like it's also versatile. Like you can have it channel/conduct mana, which is often the case. But then you could flip that to have it absorb mana, binding someone in chains or shackles.

I like elements that behave in different or unusual ways. Ex: a Pyromancer who's a healer/ buff instead of a damage dealer.
try to read Metallurgy power in Mistborn Wiki. Hopes you can gain enlightenment from it..

Spilled_Soup

agree. I only know one story with metal based power. that is Mistborn Trilogy. This is an untapped elemental. people need to use this elemental more if they plan to make elemental based magic power stories.

try to read Metallurgy power in Mistborn Wiki. Hopes you can gain enlightenment from it..
Metallurgy is probably the coolest shit I've ever seen lol. The simplicity if it is just wonderfully beautiful. Kelsier's battle before his death gave me chills