A true anti-hero protagonist

Nubychuriz

Every anti-hero protagonist novel I read in this website had a protagonist that is straight up a villain instead of an actual anti-hero. The term "anti-hero" is used on individuals who are willing to stoop as low as villains (be it murder, deceit and such) as long as it is lead by a good motives and goals. This does not mean that they will kill their foes no matter what, if murder is avoidable, they would avoid it, killing a douchebag just because they are a douchebag is a douchebag move. Hell, most ""anti-hero protagonists"" on this website is only driven by revenge (which may be satisfying to read but don't belong to anti-heroes). What I'm saying is that I just want the anti-hero protagonist tag isn't filled with stuff that belong in the evil protagonist tag. Is it too much to ask for protagonists that aren't straight up evil, do have morals and ethics, and don't prefer unethical methods even when they are avoidable

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
It sounds like you are splitting hairs. I mean, by your definition, HKN, IWS, and Hotrod lantern are all Anti-Hero. HKN cuts fingers off high school students, IWS shapeshifts into looking like an angel to get laid, and Hotrod works with villains as long as it helps him hunt demons. I mean, the only "hero" I got is with flip the script, and he's kinda a weak willed "hero".

Tsuru

Robot
WAIT WAIT I GOT ONE

IT IS MY TOP 2 favorite
and ONE VERY FAMOUS NOVEL IN CHINA WEBNOVEL !!!!

Give me 5s to write !!!

Plantorsomething

Every anti-hero protagonist novel I read in this website had a protagonist that is straight up a villain instead of an actual anti-hero. The term "anti-hero" is used on individuals who are willing to stoop as low as villains (be it murder, deceit and such) as long as it is lead by a good motives and goals. This does not mean that they will kill their foes no matter what, if murder is avoidable, they would avoid it, killing a douchebag just because they are a douchebag is a douchebag move. Hell, most ""anti-hero protagonists"" on this website is only driven by revenge (which may be satisfying to read but don't belong to anti-heroes). What I'm saying is that I just want the anti-hero protagonist tag isn't filled with stuff that belong in the evil protagonist tag. Is it too much to ask for protagonists that aren't straight up evil, do have morals and ethics, and don't prefer unethical methods even when they are avoidable
Kidnapped Dragons (one of my favs)

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Overlord
The death mage who doesn't want a fourth time
To deprive a deprived person
Seoul Station's Necromancer
The king of the battlefield
The legendary moonlight sculptor
Arifureta
Youjo senki

These one I don't really know if I can call them anti-hero or not :
Suprem Magus
The Author Pov
Konjiki no moji Tsukai

And by your criteria of an "Anti-Hero" my story can fit it but I don't really think that what you looking for.

Tsuru

Robot
@Plantorsomething @Sleds @Nubychuriz @TenderHuman @TheEldritchGod by coincidence i also mentioned in the thread just while ago

"History strongest husband" (novelupdates)

quality rivaling Reverend Insanity*
(with how crazy and ruthless MC is)
(the kind that cut balls, use diseases, consider lives of others as ants, didnt hesitate to kill millions as collateral)
(know about shittiness of human beings)

Its just that unlike RI that is totally evil.
MC is the ultimate anti-hero.
He don't care of other lives.
But care of close ones.
Because his ONLY but unreachable goal is simply "having a wife/family"
That even in an arc he once said "If my (poisoned) wife die, i will make the world burn to follow suit"

= "History strongest husband" on NU

recent manhua published "Survive as the hero husband"
the manhua butcher the original material. Kinda like Arifureta anime butchered the novel and hated by fans.
Ex : Prologue is rushed and dont portray the uglyness of humans and MC giving up on them

=> Basically MC was rich but disfigured in college years. So he decided to be a doctor to get a wife. But despite living until 80y old. Despite saving ton of people, that won him the reputation of earth best doctor and getting a PEACE nobel prize. Even if lot of families said to him "we will do anything". Even if he paid a nurse BILLION to marry him. He is still single. And then write about him being in war zone, operating on people. And blocking a bullet for his kid-patient against enemy soldiers that entered the camp.
The transmigrate

How the heroine look like in novel
minamoto no raikou (fate and 1 more) drawn by fujikawa_arika

Manhua :
Screenshot_8.jpg

Pirate FL3 :
miss fortune (league of legends) drawn by jian_tai_(cuoyu0)

but act like cold machine
the kind that would probably be unfazed even if she fought nude
Despite being cold, she is kind to people, and saving women.
Her charisma make this women also fall for her, or even venerate like a goddess. (She doesnt care at all about that)
She is the 2nd classic example character in the series telling about the original idea of "blood/muscle/ancient-lineage vs QI" author had.
Qi isnt omnipotent because if it allow someone to kill 100 people. When empty the user is easy kill. Hence why the few qi users, despite having masters rivaling thousands of people, wont be able to conquer countries.
And well. SHE, her way of fighting is quite SPECIAL.
Her 2 machetes (or swords).
She basically turn them around her like fucking helicopter wings. Anyone coming close is basically...............are like tomatoes in a mixer.
And thx to her ancient lineage/blood, unlike qi, she can do it for LONG DURATION, so she got reputation she is unbeatable. And even could beat an army alone.

But sadly, the manhua, had cameo of her face in ch1. She is as ugly as the little mermaid movie bullshit. I want to puke.
Screenshot_9.jpg

I don't want to share the manhua image so you are not corrupted.

------------------

THIS NOVEL STAYED IN TOP5 RANKING OF RAW WEBSITES FOR YEARS !

(warning, the beginning arc is slightly boring and annoying as he didnt marry FL yet but as soon he is married you totally see the difference in writing quality, as the perfect FL that is as good as FL of DOUPO CANGQION, didnt hesitate to torture-punish her most close maid that talked badly about her "husband")

IT IS one of the VERY UNIQUE CHINESE WEBNOVEL WHERE THE PROTAGONIST GOT 0 FIGHTING STRENGTH AND ONLY USE HIS BRAIN TO FIGHT (kill)

Fallen_Pages

I would shamelessly recommend my own novel, but at the moment (about six chapters that I still haven't uploaded to this site), he is still more of a lazy hero than an anti-one, but the antiheroism is coming. However, if you want an antihero story right now I absolutely love Tsukimichi, and if you don't mind it not being a novel but an anime, I recommend Code Geass, Death Note (debatable), and a more recent one, Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e.
Overlord
The death mage who doesn't want a fourth time
To deprive a deprived person
Seoul Station's Necromancer
The king of the battlefield
The legendary moonlight sculptor
Arifureta
Youjo senki

These one I don't really know if I can call them anti-hero or not :
Suprem Magus
The Author Pov
Konjiki no moji Tsukai

And by your criteria of an "Anti-Hero" my story can fit it but I don't really think that what you looking for.
I think Overlord is quite a villain, not an antihero right now... I love it though. But more strange than that, the legendary moonlight sculptor? How is he an antihero? I read up to a hundred chapters I think and it's really good, but he was quite the hero from what I remember. Uninterested in other people's circumstances, but not an antihero, maybe later he turned underhanded?

Last edited:

Sleds

I would shamelessly recommend my own novel, but at the moment (about six chapters that I still haven't uploaded to this site), he is still more of a lazy hero than an anti-one, but the antiheroism is coming. However, if you want an antihero story right now I absolutely love Tsukimichi, and if you don't mind it not being a novel but an anime, I recommend Code Geass, Death Note (debatable), and a more recent one, Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e.

I think Overlord is quite a villain, not an antihero right now... I love it though. But more strange than that, the legendary moonlight sculptor? How is he an antihero? I read up to a hundred chapters I think and it's really good, but he was quite the hero from what I remember. Uninterested in other people's circumstances, but not an antihero, maybe later he turned underhanded?
Legendary moonlight sculptor : It's been like ten years (I think?) that I read it and he mostly move for his own good. He don't really care about other people except the one close to him. He greedy asf and often use other people to gain money. He even got in a dungeon with his classmate and when he learn that they about to die in 2/3 minutes, he stopped moving toward them and literraly go drop the other part of the dungeon before coming to their help since he have time.
I don't know if you can really class him in a anti-hero but he not a hero too.

Tsukimichi is a good one
Code geass is somehow debatable, yes he control other and cause people to die but it's not for hiw own good but to reach world peace.

Fallen_Pages

Legendary moonlight sculptor : It's been like ten years (I think?) that I read it and he mostly move for his own good. He don't really care about other people except the one close to him. He greedy asf and often use other people to gain money. He even got in a dungeon with his classmate and when he learn that they about to die in 2/3 minutes, he stopped moving toward them and literraly go drop the other part of the dungeon before coming to their help since he have time.
I don't know if you can really class him in a anti-hero but he not a hero too.

Tsukimichi is a good one
Code geass is somehow debatable, yes he control other and cause people to die but it's not for hiw own good but to reach world peace.
That's the thing: moving for his own good makes him/her a villain. Moving for other people's good but in a Machiavelli way (the objective justifies the means) makes someone an antihero. But to be honest, I don't remember the Legendary Moonlight Sculptor that much to really debate about it.

Sleds

That's the thing: moving for his own good makes him/her a villain. Moving for other people's good but in a Machiavelli way (the objective justifies the means) makes someone an antihero. But to be honest, I don't remember the Legendary Moonlight Sculptor that much to really debate about it.
Yeah, maybe he more a gray/ low villain protag

TUSOG

I guess you are right, you just reminded me of wei wuxian, doing bad things but led but good motives and goals.

Do check out my story, one of the main characters is an anti-hero which will be slowly revealed throughout the story.

Tempokai

Overworked One
My MC is anti-hero, but not because he's evil but because he's a chaotic neutral, to have a good dream he does everything to defeat whatever being with whatever means

TotallyHuman

@Plantorsomething @Sleds @Nubychuriz @TenderHuman @TheEldritchGod by coincidence i also mentioned in the thread just while ago

"History strongest husband" (novelupdates)

quality rivaling Reverend Insanity*
(with how crazy and ruthless MC is)
(the kind that cut balls, use diseases, consider lives of others as ants, didnt hesitate to kill millions as collateral)
(know about shittiness of human beings)

Its just that unlike RI that is totally evil.
MC is the ultimate anti-hero.
He don't care of other lives.
But care of close ones.
Because his ONLY but unreachable goal is simply "having a wife/family"
That even in an arc he once said "If my (poisoned) wife die, i will make the world burn to follow suit"

= "History strongest husband" on NU

recent manhua published "Survive as the hero husband"
the manhua butcher the original material. Kinda like Arifureta anime butchered the novel and hated by fans.
Ex : Prologue is rushed and dont portray the uglyness of humans and MC giving up on them

=> Basically MC was rich but disfigured in college years. So he decided to be a doctor to get a wife. But despite living until 80y old. Despite saving ton of people, that won him the reputation of earth best doctor and getting a PEACE nobel prize. Even if lot of families said to him "we will do anything". Even if he paid a nurse BILLION to marry him. He is still single. And then write about him being in war zone, operating on people. And blocking a bullet for his kid-patient against enemy soldiers that entered the camp.
The transmigrate

How the heroine look like in novel
minamoto no raikou (fate and 1 more) drawn by fujikawa_arika

Manhua :
View attachment 21505

Pirate FL3 :
miss fortune (league of legends) drawn by jian_tai_(cuoyu0)

but act like cold machine
the kind that would probably be unfazed even if she fought nude
Despite being cold, she is kind to people, and saving women.
Her charisma make this women also fall for her, or even venerate like a goddess. (She doesnt care at all about that)
She is the 2nd classic example character in the series telling about the original idea of "blood/muscle/ancient-lineage vs QI" author had.
Qi isnt omnipotent because if it allow someone to kill 100 people. When empty the user is easy kill. Hence why the few qi users, despite having masters rivaling thousands of people, wont be able to conquer countries.
And well. SHE, her way of fighting is quite SPECIAL.
Her 2 machetes (or swords).
She basically turn them around her like fucking helicopter wings. Anyone coming close is basically...............are like tomatoes in a mixer.
And thx to her ancient lineage/blood, unlike qi, she can do it for LONG DURATION, so she got reputation she is unbeatable. And even could beat an army alone.

But sadly, the manhua, had cameo of her face in ch1. She is as ugly as the little mermaid movie bullshit. I want to puke.
View attachment 21506
I don't want to share the manhua image so you are not corrupted.

------------------

THIS NOVEL STAYED IN TOP5 RANKING OF RAW WEBSITES FOR YEARS !

(warning, the beginning arc is slightly boring and annoying as he didnt marry FL yet but as soon he is married you totally see the difference in writing quality, as the perfect FL that is as good as FL of DOUPO CANGQION, didnt hesitate to torture-punish her most close maid that talked badly about her "husband")

IT IS one of the VERY UNIQUE CHINESE WEBNOVEL WHERE THE PROTAGONIST GOT 0 FIGHTING STRENGTH AND ONLY USE HIS BRAIN TO FIGHT (kill)
that sounds more like a villain tbh

Rhaps

Master of Nightmare
I was about to recommend my novel shamelessly. But then I realized my MC isn't an anti-hero, she's just a straight up asshole

Tsuru

Robot
that sounds more like a villain tbh
SPOILERS

Helped his brother in law get better
Saved his in law family from ruin
Made the body-transmigrated's family live a happy life
Save and get revenge for the body's best buddy. A mega op body but very stupid friendly guy (retard)
Didn't kill an enemy old man when he lost and even collaborated with him later on
Allowed the women with STDs in the territory to have basic respect and a decent life for their remaining lifespan (as they helping him with task)
Was sad as he basically know methods to cure them but sadly technology isnt sufficient
Can bargain enemy king
Helped THOUSANDS of "retards" that are in fact people with a secret-blood, awaken their blood and becoming the perfect machine of war that don't follow any order (even suicide order would be obeyed without hesitation)
Married too the kind maid that FL1 send to "marriage night" to replace her
Didn't hesitate to risk his own life, even self-injecting a deadly disease, all for the dangerous bet to delay the enemy so his loved ones can escape to a safe zone. Even near died, as he turned delirious, to the point of telling past-life random infos (irl infos) that dont make sense.

SPOILERS

Slapped women
Poison enemies
Cut the balls of arrogant people coveting his wife
Human beings are born evil, only law and rules are sole reason we arent fighting all the time
Saved the nation a few times
Helped a harshly bullied prince change his situation
Arrogant against the emperor/king but still keeping a close relationship with him (whipped punishment but in fact allow hidden armor)
Used poison, bomb, STDs to kill high-targets
PUNCHED / KICKED a arrogant princess because she hurt FL in duel
Raped her when she returned home, hence causing a break in engagement. And because of drug/darkness, she can't proof it's MC.
Killed a evil barbarian king by poisoning by secretly injecting "nano metallic balls" that had cyanide inside

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
From details, and some sentences far later. Its basically half-telling that MC acting like a flirting douchebag but in fact he got a pure heart, he never truly coveted other women, but is just a façade. Even to the point he flinch when target flirted back.
The prologue. Basically explained why he became that evil-like. Because only people that experienced despair and suffering, know human race is a shitty race, and also its better to be kind to closed ones compared to random strangers.
It's not official stated but when all details tell something, there isn't a need to clarify it. And is better this way.
There isn't a need of author to write MC crying and thinking he just want a family or wanting peaceful life.
Because all actions and numerous details, already told the truth to (smart) readers.
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Isnt anti-hero, a villain with bottom lines ? :sweating_profusely:
The fact you can't recognize one is probably because

Look like you never saw a TRUE anti-hero. That is why you can't understand the taste of a good one. :confused:

Btw
lot of korean series have great anti-hero
because unlike china, they didn't suffer CCP censoring

Screenshot_14.jpg
Screenshot_15.jpg

Btw, china WNs could have had ton of masterpieces
if not for the censoring

Looking at all the 2023 good chinese WNs, and the recent chinese ero novels (old one: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/dragon-blood-warrior/)
its easy to tell ton of series could have bloomed

Also funny detail people don't know.
Faceslap or nationalism. Sure lot of authors are hardcore that like that.
But lot of author also write that, ONLY BECAUSE IT ATTRACT POPULARITY (of crazy brainwashed chineses by ccp)
Its like some very strong jp artists, do furry because they receive lot of high-paying commissions.
Once saw a author note being normal speech, heck even smart, but the plot of novel was full retard characters.
And another author had like 5k view for a smart MC novel but for the other work of shit nationalism novel had like 200k views.

Now in 2023, the censoring is relaxing, (though porn banned, a genshin 3d-model artist was arrested recently)
but still there.
Ex : assassins purging evil is more common plot to appear, but one author explained he was warned and forced to modify back so its NOT real world but a earth game world MC was transmigrated into, with npcs acting like true people [Author : "Just imagine they are real people")

------------------------
If you want shota and loli heroine anti-hero
There is https://www.novelupdates.com/series/great-tang-idyll/
A rare early masterpiece
that escaped CCP Censoring

Is a rare C NOVEL where author wrote about irl china corruption (MC is scammer and mention sometimes that in "past life" the shittiness of the country) (he is in favor for the chineses but doesnt support china itself, in short people)

A rare novel where MC-FL are true masterminds behind the scenes
I was about to recommend my novel shamelessly. But then I realized my MC isn't an anti-hero, she's just a straight up asshole
Should i guess its Reverend Insanity ?

I have no clue why people liked RI and good MCs so much
but anti-heroes seemed ignored or disliked (no deadpool movie yet)
Where "History strongest husband" series i favorite so much, was discarded in a corner of NU without translation. Despite sticking in ranking of raws for years.
Crappy cover, title, summary's faults i guess. And crappy first small arc.

Last edited:

Redadam04

【Human Savant of True Almighty God】
Anti-hero protagonist is likable, relatable and memorable. If turning themselves as a villain to solve the problem, they will do it.

laccoff_mawning

The term "anti-hero" is used on individuals who are willing to stoop as low as villains (be it murder, deceit and such) as long as it is lead by a good motives and goals
This sounds like a villian to me. Although I guess anti-hero could be seen as a type of villian, so thats makes perfect sense.

Although its not on this site, something like "I became the villian the hero is obsessed with" might be what you're looking for, if you haven't read that one already.
It's lighthearted, and loosely matches the description you posted. Except its portrays the MC's actions along the lines of "doing good while pretending to be evil" rather than "doing evil under the pretext of good".