Add A Polyamory Tag

Succubiome

Polygamy and Polygyny are both pretty gendered, it'd be good to have a tag that wasn't.

I'd argue you should be in favor of this even if you don't like same gender/multiple gender polyamory, as this will make it much easier to avoid it as well as find it.

Last edited:

EldritchPotato

Eldritch deity & really hard thinker.
Polyamory should definitely be a tag since it’s quite different to polygamy.

Succubiome

@Tony

Just letting you know this has gained a lot more traction, up to +15 votes now!

Also, AliceShiki has informed me that you like to hear reasoning, so:

I think having a polyamory tag would be very useful, for the following reasons:

1. Polygamy, polygyny, harem and reverse harem are all about a certain type of relationship where one person is the center of many relationships. Polyamory is a much wider bubble that can also include:
  • 3+ people all in a relationship together
  • People with relationships who in turn have people in relationships with others
  • People dating others while being married with the full consent of their spouse, I.E., without cheating being involved.
Unlike Polygamy and Polyandry, Polyamory does not imply marriage.

2. Polygamy/Polygyny/Harem/Reverse Harem, most by general terminology, but Polygamy by Scribblehub terminology specifically.

3. Having Polyamory as a tag helps people writing about polyamory and those searching for polyamory, obviously.

4. However: Having Polyamory as a tag also makes searches for people looking within those probably-more-common narrow categories such as Harem/Reverse Harem/Polygamy/Polygyny much easier by removing things that are the "closest tag" to it that people are forced to use to be searchable at all, even though it isn't quite correct.

In short, polyamory is a very efficient tag and would be generally useful both for those who wished to see it and those who wished to avoid it, so please consider adding it.

Thanks!

EDIT:
lacoff_mawning's question below made me realize I forgot to put a specific proposal for polyamory in, so I'd like to propose the following:
  • Polyamory: A series involving someone being romantically or sexually involved with more than one person with the knowledge and consent of all parties.

Last edited:

Succubiome

I now don't know what any of these tags mean...
I forgot to put my proposal for a new term, so thanks for asking!

According to Scribblehub, the terms are as follows:
  • Harem: A series involving one male character and many female characters (usually attracted to the male character). A Reverse Harem is when the genders are reversed.
  • Reverse Harem: Where a (usually) female protagonist is surround by guys. Harem is the where the genders are reversed.
  • Polygamy: This tag is to be only used if the male protagonist is married to more than one female at a time.
    (this is the one which is more narrow than the dictionary definition-- this would be usually be called 'polygyny' to be this narrow, although historically most polygamy is polygyny TBF.)
  • Polygyny: This tag is used if the female protagonist of the story has a polygamy in which a woman has more than one husband.

I want to add to this:
  • Polyamory: A series involving someone being romantically or sexually involved with more than one person with the knowledge and consent of all parties.

Lodur

Eight virgin
  • Polygamy: This tag is to be only used if the male protagonist is married to more than one female at a time.
    (this is the one which is more narrow than the dictionary definition-- this would be usually be called 'polygyny' to be this narrow, although historically most polygamy is polygyny TBF.)
  • Polygyny: This tag is used if the female protagonist of the story has a polygamy in which a woman has more than one husband.
Both "polygamy" and "polygyny" definitions are incorrect (@Succubiome , I know, that it's not your definitions, but copied from the site lore). "Polygyny": one male has relations with several females. "Polyandry": one female has relations with several males. "Polygamy": legal form of marriage, where one person has more than one spouse of the opposing gender (both "polygyny" and "polyandry" suites here, but only if it is permitted by local law).

Succubiome

Both "polygamy" and "polygyny" definitions are incorrect (@Succubiome , I know, that it's not your definitions, but copied from the site lore). "Polygyny": one male has relations with several females. "Polyandry": one female has relations with several males. "Polygamy": legal form of marriage, where one person has more than one spouse of the opposing gender (both "polygyny" and "polyandry" suites here, but only if it is permitted by local law).

Fair!
I was more focused on the site definitions for this, just polygamy was obviously more narrow to me.

KrakenRiderEmma

I’d definitely support this tag as the other tags are kind of narrow in what they refer to, and this can sometimes mess with reader expectations. I have the #3 story in the “Reverse Harem” tag’s default ranking; the MC in my story has relationships with me and women (and characters with no gender) and I used the Reverse Harem tag only because there’s no Polyamory tag.

Some readers think “Reverse Harem” refers only to a story that has many men and one woman; other readers are using these tags to look for stories that have woman/woman or bisexual relationships, etc. So having a tag that covers a broader area of “multiple relationships” would be helpful!

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Polygamy and Polygyny are both pretty gendered, it'd be good to have a tag that wasn't.

I'd argue you should be in favor of this even if you don't like same gender/multiple gender polyamory, as this will make it much easier to avoid it as well as find it.
cheating tag