Adding more comma's to a story

SerikoLee

Chaos Realm Creator/ Chaos God
Have you ever made a story and made a risky decision but it worked, yet a reader noticed it needs to commas to tell when someone paused before returning to speaking once again.
Here is an example.
Any help will be appreciated.

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
Have you ever made a story and made a risky decision but it worked, yet a reader noticed it needs to commas to tell when someone paused before returning to speaking once again.
Here is an example.
Any help will be appreciated.
Sure, commas are great and an authors friend. But it's also easy to use them too often. So if you do understand how to use commas well, introduce the next best thing: -

Use the dash and add a bit of dash to your story. If the comma becomes to much. And have fun!

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
Well, when comma's was used it tells that you pause a little bit when talking. I feels like thinking about it when writing, makes it gramatically correct or wrong depending on the usage of it.

It's like you can tell what's wrong with your sentence when you read it because there's no pause if there's no comma, but after adding comma's into it the problem has been fixed.

CypherTails

I don't try to self-promo, it is just for editors or people that understand writing better than me.
So I can improve in more ways than one.
Just a joke, hehe. No offense intended. Just felt that line was funny. :blob_hide:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I actually tend to use more commas than I should on my first drafts. Once I start editing, one of the first things I start making cuts on, is on the number of commas.

I was an English language teacher for five years. One of my biggest takeaways was that no-one knows how to use punctuation -- including native speakers of the language :ROFLMAO:. That said, some people will care a lot about bad punctuation; others couldn't care less. I consider myself an expert on punctuation and I still find random errors in my work, even after five rounds of editing. It is also hard because there is some leeway in creative writing (I write a lot of sentence fragments, for example).

Personally, I think all writers should do a little bit of research on punctuation, just so they aren't fumbling in the dark. At the very least, installing something like Grammarly can be super helpful in learning the rules.

For example, and don't be mad, but your topic heading is, 'Adding more comma's to a story'. There is no need for the apostrophe you put in 'comma's'. Apostrophes are used either as a possessive (It was John's book) or as a contraction of a 'be' verb (She's going to the shops later).