Amazing tip for editing and self-critiquing: Change the font.

Keene

Squat Enjoyer and Programmer
I can't remember where I was originally taught this but it's been such a great help it is worth repeating here.

So you've wrote your masterpiece, maybe you've gone through it once or even twice.

Go through it again.

This time change the font to a monospace font. There are many out there. I like to use the same font I use to write code with: JetBrains Mono

From this:

1641271638792.png

To this:

1641271858483.png

By changing to a monospace font the way you read completely changes. You will pick up all kind of mistakes that you missed with a normal reading font. You will find yourself more sensitive to the flow and pace of your story and sentence structure.

Doing this I can already see several mistakes Grammarly and I had previously missed and several more things I want to change in the above images.

It really works.

Try it!

Last edited:

MyukiMruieast

Departure of Motivation led me to want water
I write at the website (mostly) and that's because I make computers malfunction easily — I write using my phone and oh dear, autocorrect is a b¡tch... I do often change fonts like you, for an example. Sometimes, when I read stories, I tend to change the fonts because they would be either too small to read and too thin to see.

AsteroidTamer

I write at the website (mostly) and that's because I make computers malfunction easily — I write using my phone and oh dear, autocorrect is a b¡tch... I do often change fonts like you, for an example. Sometimes, when I read stories, I tend to change the fonts because they would be either too small to read and too thin to see.
Lol Auto correct is a b*tch, but using the read aloud feature in the word app, has worked wonders for me.