Annoying people

Justawild_grass

I don't understand why some people would spit your previous faults and mistakes on your face when it is not completely related to your argument.

Especially if that mistake is unintentional and you already regret it very much.

Is it for them to look like they are winning? Or just to make me feel more defeated?

That's just so low, right?

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Parents:

Justawild_grass

So... what's the story about? I can't really agree without knowing anything lmao
Just imagine having an argument with someone. Then they're losing in the argument, but they would suddenly mention your previous mistakes that is not completely related to make theirselves 'look winning' in front of the other people. Nothing. Just find it annoying.
Hahahaha. The best example, but I'm not talking about them, no.
What do they call them in fallacies? (English) I can't remember but it's about being off-topic and shifting the topic of the argument.

Psycholor

Writing Trash
So... what's the story about? I can't really agree without knowing anything lmao
Just imagine having an argument with someone. Then they're losing in the argument, but they would suddenly mention your previous mistakes that is not completely related to make theirselves 'look winning' in front of the other people. Nothing. Just find it annoying.

@Leficios is asking what the story you are talking about is about. This is Author General, so a post like this one would generally be assumed to pertain to a story.

It sounds like you are talking about assholes in general though, not from a story's comment section. This post should be in General > General.

Reactions: CL

Justawild_grass

@Leficios is asking what the story you are talking about is about. This is Author General, so a post like this one would generally be assumed to pertain to a story.

It sounds like you are talking about assholes in general though, not from a story's comment section. This post should be in General > General.
Oh, I see. This is my first time posting about something. Thank you for informing me.

Reactions: CL

CL

I'm anticipating the teleportation from here towards General soon. :blob_cookie:

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I don't understand why some people would spit your previous faults and mistakes on your face when it is not completely related to your argument.

Especially if that mistake is unintentional and you already regret it very much.

Is it for them to look like they are winning? Or just to make me feel more defeated?

That's just so low, right?
Cause it is easier to discredit a person then an argument. Thus, as long as you insult a person's character enough, it supposedly invalidates everything they said.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It's called a cheap shot. They do it because they're not smart enough to do better.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
Because bad people can't be correct, and anybody that thinks differently than me and has made a mistake in their life is a bad person. Actually, even if they have never seen them make a mistake, they are still bad, because someone once said they were horrible people.

I don't argue with people, I have never seen an argument ever actually solving a mutual problem or changing someone's opinion.
I'll have to argue against that, arguments change people's minds all the time.

Let's take a basic example to illustrate. You are living with your significant other and want to do some random activity one weekend. You go tell them your plan, upon which they argue that you shouldn't do that because that would conflict with a prior arrangement you had. You look at your calendar, realize they are right, and are convinced.

This is a relatively simple example that can show how easy it is for arguments to change people's opinion everyday. I think arguments are very important, as they are the basis on which we can discuss and compare our different viewpoints.

For a broader example, let us think of our technological advancements. When Newton first discovered gravity, if he had just said "the earth is pulling us down", do you think that would have convinced everyone? No, and that is why he had to argue and show proof, after which his theory of gravity was widely accepted. Teh same goes for any scientific theory, it needs to be heavily discussed, weighing the arguments for and against, before settling on the most reasonable theory. If scientists did not argue every day, then our science would have been limited to single viewpoints forever, and we would never have progressed thus far.

No of course this becomes very complicated if the issue is very large and vague, or if there is a heavy emotional attachment (ie politics), and it is easy to devolve into simply repeating your point of view without evidence, but that is no longer an argument. The foundation of what makes an argument valuable is still there, and you can't dismiss it.

Of course, if you personally find that arguing against someone is not worth your time that is fine, but saying that arguments do not convince people is not true.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Maybe it's to stroke their ego and shame you (stating that you are not what you should be, and they are the ideal you should strive for). They brag about how their judgement is better than yours with selection bias by finding your faults (but disregarding good points).

Ego (judgement) is an important part of identity. By validating it, people are reassured that their existence is worthy and not in vain.

The ego is not at the service of people to make their life better and create good results. Instead, it's the other way around: people seek power and resources to manifest and express their ego. Bending other people to serve one's ego is an universal impulse, and society do that through power (influence, money, debt). And there's nothing wrong with that except if you value relationship. You can't expect people to like you after denying their adequacy to exist.

So, depending on the stakes of the argument, It could be a form of keeping track of "debts". If you fucked up and still owe them shit, they might want you to concede on decisions.