Another new author looking for feedback

LillyanaKabal

There is a bit of writing clunk I shall file under second language and not mention. You are pretty overzealous with the new lines. For example;

“Please do not panic. You are merely dead.”, a female voice tells me.
I can’t really see anything. Everything is just a blur.

I faintly see a hand reaching out to me. It is impatient.
I accept it and the person leads me to what seems to be a desk with a computer on it.

A desk? Great, the afterlife is a goddamn bureaucracy... is this hell?
I know I wasn’t the best person in life, ugh, was I?
My memory is as fuzzy as my vision.

I look back and it seems I was in some kind of sci-fi capsule. I hope we don't go the matrix route here.

I ask her “Can you tell me what is going on here?”

I can barely see that she seems to fiddle around with a clock on the desk.

Could be written and read more cleanly as;

“Please do not panic. You are merely dead.”, a female voice tells me. I can’t really see anything. Everything is just a blur. I faintly see a hand reaching out to me. It is impatient. I accept it and the person leads me to what seems to be a desk with a computer on it. A desk? Great, the afterlife is a goddamn bureaucracy... is this hell?

I know I wasn’t the best person in life, ugh, was I? My memory is as fuzzy as my vision. I look back and it seems I was in some kind of sci-fi capsule. I hope we don't go the matrix route here.
“Can you tell me what is going on here?” I ask her. I can barely see that she seems to fiddle around with a clock on the desk.

Also, you don't need to note ooc stuff like him mishearing names. That is contextual. If you feel the need to absolutely put it in, then put it at the end to not mess with immersive experiences.

3QGN73

If overabundance of line breaks are the worst crime I've committed I take it.

The author note about mishearing - I don't really know how to handle that.
If I leave it where it is it breaks the flow.
If I remove the note it is likely to confuse the reader; did I suddenly change the name or did I forget to introduce a different character?
If I move that to the end its basically the same as removing it.

LillyanaKabal

It was a weird name, so the MC saying a different name it is a very clear context clue to the fact that he fluffed it. You can always have the other woman giving him a stare or some other showcase that he is wrong but she has neither the time nor inclination to correct him.

And I am terrible at this, so it's the worst crime I can find. So someone else could find other ones xD

3QGN73

Yeah, that requires a bit more thought on my part.
Said woman wouldn't be able to notice him saying it wrong, they are basically talking through an auto-translate system.

Eh, I'll just change it and then address it when that plot detail finally goes off.

LillyanaKabal

Something I have noticed, is names don't translate. "Pete" is "Pete" in every language. So if you say "Pete" is called "Paul" then someone will notice, regardless of what language they are speaking.

Agentt

Thighs

3QGN73

@3QGN73
You have to press the reply button at the bottom of message if you want that person to know you posted a reply.

It will look something like this

I found it pretty decent for your first attempt actually, are you going for a misunderstandings comedy?
Misunderstandings are not a main focus but they are there.
More like a "poor/no communication kills" type.
Something I have noticed, is names don't translate. "Pete" is "Pete" in every language. So if you say "Pete" is called "Paul" then someone will notice, regardless of what language they are speaking.
Think of it more like google translate just for speech instead of written text and a few thousand years of extra time to work out some grammatical kinks.
Think of it how in japanese リムル゠テンペスト gets transliterated to Rimuru Tempest instead of Rimuru Tenpesuto. It isn't exactly the same but close enough. So yes, you would notice "Pete" instead of "Paul" but between "Jeff" and "Gzeph" all bets are off.

Last edited: