Any isekai stories out their that aren't about a basic Medieval McEuropean fantasyland?

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
I was more talking about ruling class vs lower class politics or perhaps vassalage or serfs? You really just make it sound like you're interested in consistency and believability.
Oh consistency is a big part of it, but I genuinely would like to see people play with the idea of the feudal politics.

Kenjona

Funny thing, feudal societies were not ever as feudal as the ones we usually read in most isekai fiction.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Makes me think that ancient europe isekai or even ancient egypt wouldn't be that different. Well, minus all the living gods.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Makes me think that ancient europe isekai or even ancient egypt wouldn't be that different. Well, minus all the living gods.
I had to do significant research on ancient civilizations. It is both very different and not. Quite a lot of minutiae are similar and many things we consider modern are actually not. But a lot of large scale parts of society are vastly different.

They might have fast-food restaurants, but the way they view life or the set of morals they adhere to is completely different from ours.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I had to do significant research on ancient civilizations. It is both very different and not. Quite a lot of minutiae are similar and many things we consider modern are actually not. But a lot of large scale parts of society are vastly different.

They might have fast-food restaurants, but the way they view life or the set of morals they adhere to is completely different from ours.
That means for isekai stories only the flavor text would change. Guilds would turn into legions, if any. Slaves would have a few more rights. People would be a lot less dirty and sick. That's about all an isekai writer would change to make their story "unique" while still using the "How to isekai: writing a story with the minimal effort 101"-template.

I'd love to see a colonial isekai (minus the slavery thing) or a victorian one minus steam punk and/or vampires.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
That means for isekai stories only the flavor text would change. Guilds would turn into legions, if any. Slaves would have a few more rights. People would be a lot less dirty and sick. That's about all an isekai writer would change to make their story "unique" while still using the "How to isekai: writing a story with the minimal effort 101"-template.

I'd love to see a colonial isekai (minus the slavery thing) or a victorian one minus steam punk and/or vampires.
Why isekai = lazy writing?

And anyone could do anything, but pulling it off is the challenge. They might treat others better, but at the same time, there might not be the sanctity of life present. Which would mean that they would treat an average life less than other things (like honour, family, tradition)

There will be coins but many things would be impossible to be bought without someone to vouch for you or due to the absence of available products.

There might be rules and laws but they would be outrageous by our standards. Quite a lot of early justice systems would side not with the truth but with the side that had more influential backers (not because of the corruption but because if you have renown that made you automatically a better person compared to some unknown peasant in their eyes.)

chapter1king

Medieval settings tend to be easier and more fascinating than lets say 1800s - why? Idk, but its probably because swinging swords and stabbing spears is often easier than describing a musket line? I may be wrong - but that's my stab at it.

I think its definitely saturated, but quality always makes things great.