Anybody here get a rabies shot?

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
I've not yet experienced events requiring a rabies shot so I'm wondering what it feels like; anyone who had a shot or knew someone who described it to them please offer me your experience

Redadam04

【Human Savant of True Almighty God】
I've not yet experienced events requiring a rabies shot so I'm wondering what it feels like; anyone who had a shot or knew someone who described it to them please offer me your experience
My two cousins was injected by rabies shot.

The cheaper one: He was injected 12 times in the same spot.

The high quality: One time injected, but the side effects make him feel like being burn alivr.

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
It depends on when this occurred... the old vaccine could take 30 shots, near the site of the wound and apparently hurt alot. The new regime is 2-4 shots in the arm, like a flu shot. But it does have side effects- soreness, nausea and vomiting are pretty common. Anaphylaxis is fairy rare... like a 0.01% but when it does occur it's pretty quick onset(like 10 minutes).

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
information is readily available. adults and older children get it in the shoulder, younger children and babies that need it get it in the thigh. it can cause typical allergic reactions if you're allergic to it, and if not then it can cause the usual - injection site swelling, headache, fever, nausea, muscle weakness.

it's essentially making you sick so your body can produce the anti-bodies before (or very shortly after) exposure.

it's recommended to get the vaccine as soon as is reasonable after a potential exposure (don't race at 120mph to get to the hospital, but don't just shrug it off). it's also recommended those who may be expose more often to keep up on it and boosters. this would include vets, wildlife rescue, zookeepers, etc.

that said, I haven't had it. my step-dad and my cousin both have. compared to other vaccines, my step-dad says it's not as bad as the smallpox vax made him feel, but worse than the flu shot. my cousin says it's just about as painful as the TB forearm injection, but that has a variable pain rating, so...

Sola-sama

Retired Old Man
It's rare for me to make contact with doggos (unfortunately) so I have yet to get a shot.

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
I did get the yellow fever shot, which is apparently the third most painful shot you can get.... imagine someone taking a metal pen and jabbing it into your shoulder, in the exact same spot, as hard as they can, over and over again. It feels horribly bruised and you don't want to use that arm for a few days, and definitely don't want the spot touched.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
No since I've never had to worry about rabid animals, and am not stupid enough to get bit by an animal. I recall when my parents traveled to Eastern europe they were required to get rabies shots though.

Oh yeah got it once. It used to be some 12 shots in the stomach. absolutely horrifying. Now it's 3 or 4 shots in the arm. Painless (depending on the nurse). I took the newer ones.

side effects I felt were general lethargy