Anybody interested in a hard sci-fi story, set in space, with realistic science, and a mix of personal drama and cosmic geopolitics?

HexadecimaPlaceholder

So, a story I have been and researching and worldbuilding for in bits and pieces is a hard sci-fi story, tentatively titled Abyssal Beauty.

It's set in space, about a century in the future, semi-realistic tech and real physics. Atomic Rockets is a pretty good template for a lot of the aesthetics and mentality involved.

The premise is that, a few years ago, something vague but horrible happened to Earth, presumably destroying it. The scattered survivors, the hundred or so ships and stations and few thousand people who were elsewhere in the solar system at the time, have had to try and fail to survive in the years since, with limited success. Everything is wearing out and breaking, everyone is slowly starving and going crazy, and the future looks grim.

The main characters are the crew of a salvage ship, who stumble across something that could either pull humanity back from the brink, or finish them off entirely. This discovery draws the attention of several powerful and dangerous factions in the system.

Arousing anyone's interest? The kind of thing any of you would be interested in reading?

Placeholder

> Arousing anyone's interest? The kind of thing any of you would be interested in reading?

Go for it!

I think readership will depend more on plot and characterization than on setting.

Theirl

...---...
So, a story I have been and researching and worldbuilding for in bits and pieces is a hard sci-fi story, tentatively titled Abyssal Beauty.

It's set in space, about a century in the future, semi-realistic tech and real physics. Atomic Rockets is a pretty good template for a lot of the aesthetics and mentality involved.

The premise is that, a few years ago, something vague but horrible happened to Earth, presumably destroying it. The scattered survivors, the hundred or so ships and stations and few thousand people who were elsewhere in the solar system at the time, have had to try and fail to survive in the years since, with limited success. Everything is wearing out and breaking, everyone is slowly starving and going crazy, and the future looks grim.

The main characters are the crew of a salvage ship, who stumble across something that could either pull humanity back from the brink, or finish them off entirely. This discovery draws the attention of several powerful and dangerous factions in the system.

Arousing anyone's interest? The kind of thing any of you would be interested in reading?
legend of the galaxy heroes

Placeholder

> It's set in space, about a century in the future, semi-realistic tech and real physics. Atomic Rockets is a pretty good template for a lot of the aesthetics and mentality involved.

Thinking about Iain Banks, Charlie Stross, Alistair Reynolds, Ken MacLeod, and Bujold, I think it's good and fine to have worked-out sci-fi, but then be exquisitely careful not to info-dump, and thereby botch tempo, tone, or storytelling.

Because you can have fluffy sci-fi like Star Wars, James Schmitz, that's also compelling.

I mean, a lot of sci-fi stories could and should work if re-set in a 1800s western town or big city, modulo sci-fi elements.

HexadecimaPlaceholder

> It's set in space, about a century in the future, semi-realistic tech and real physics. Atomic Rockets is a pretty good template for a lot of the aesthetics and mentality involved.

Thinking about Iain Banks, Charlie Stross, Alistair Reynolds, Ken MacLeod, and Bujold, I think it's good and fine to have worked-out sci-fi, but then be exquisitely careful not to info-dump, and thereby botch tempo, tone, or storytelling.

Because you can have fluffy sci-fi like Star Wars, James Schmitz, that's also compelling.

I mean, a lot of sci-fi stories could and should work if re-set in a 1800s western town or big city, modulo sci-fi elements.
I was mostly asking here to see if the ScribbleHub audience/fanbase in particular would go for this.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

Sounds like the common space cowboy trope like The Expanse. Not to say it's bad though. Ai-chan's story Space Wreckers here is also about that. Except Ai-chan didn't post them because the RNG hates the characters and wanted them dead. They all died in the first chapter.

Don't ask if people would read it. People will read everything once. Just write it well so that those people want to continue reading. You will be surprised at what degeneracy people would read here.