Anyone have horror taste for reading?

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
Im just curious. I dont see many works with the horror elements.i am making one for my own amusement. Maybe you guys find horror meh read.? What do you gys think?

TotallyHuman

Sometimes I'm down for a horror. But it's like chocolate, you add it for desert - that is, in moderate amounts and with a moderate frequency

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Horror is like comedy. It's very hard to write because one person's idea of what's horrific is completely different from another's. I don't read horror because most of the time I just feel indifferent about it.

Though I did go on that SCP bender a few years ago. :sweating_profusely: The only one that actually rattled me was Shy Guy. The rest were just interesting.

LilRora

Mostly formless
The thing with horror is that it's very easy to make it too exaggerated or too lacking for many people, and that a definition of horror may vary massively depending on the person. Because of that there are very many horrors that even a person who likes them won't enjoy.

Another thing is that many stories that are tagged horrors are... not scary at all? Be it because of poor execution or simply not being all that horrific.

I personally like horror stories, but not when it's the core of the story, but rather the background. I don't read horrors to be scared, but rather for the thrill that comes with all the anticipation and nervouness in the story. I think it's actually a good distinction; I don't like when the point of the story is the horror, but I like thrillers that create a good story in a scary atmsphere. That's also why I really don't like most horror games - they focus on the scare and are often lacking in other departments.

ManwX

Sometimes I'm down for a horror. But it's like chocolate, you add it for desert - that is, in moderate amounts and with a moderate frequency
Interesting. my work will be purely based on
The thing with horror is that it's very easy to make it too exaggerated or too lacking for many people, and that a definition of horror may vary massively depending on the person. Because of that there are very many horrors that even a person who likes them won't enjoy.

Another thing is that many stories that are tagged horrors are... not scary at all? Be it because of poor execution or simply not being all that horrific.

I personally like horror stories, but not when it's the core of the story, but rather the background. I don't read horrors to be scared, but rather for the thrill that comes with all the anticipation and nervouness in the story. I think it's actually a good distinction; I don't like when the point of the story is the horror, but I like thrillers that create a good story in a scary atmsphere. That's also why I really don't like most horror games - they focus on the scare and are often lacking in other departments.
Same. I completely agree. I think bulding a story with just standard monsters is meh. Its the unknow thats interesting.
You can come to understand what is happening but not why. Its always the curiousity and the unknown that haunts our dreams.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I love psychological horror but it's very hard to make so most people don't.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Im just curious. I dont see many works with the horror elements.i am making one for my own amusement. Maybe you guys find horror meh read.? What do you gys think?
As someone writing a horror, horror when done well is probably the best genera, imo. The difficulty just lies in making your work somewhat scary. Personally I like writing about someone who slowly gets drawn in to a hopeless situation while giving a mystery or two to solve. Also, Horror is fairly difficult to do right, especially in writing. Movies and games have it easy since they can rely on their visuals and audio, while books have to rely almost purely on their words. Which means we must be smart about how we pull things off.

On a side note the longer your series is, the more difficult it becomes to keep the horror remaining, think Supernatural. This is because you lose hold of the stakes and/or jump the shark, making situations less horrific and more villain of the week and/or too absurd, so that it goes full circle and becomes either hilarious or boring. But, if you can keep that feeling then the story will, hopefully, get even greater as time goes on.

Shianelle

I adore horror novels, but it really depends on the type of horror, and my mood. Sometimes I want full on psychological horror, other times I want subtle creepy horror, but other times I want simple violence-gore-everyone-dies kind of horror. Weirdly though, I don't want a horror novel where I get attached to the main character and they die. I don't care that much about most side characters, but I get seriously attached to the main characters sometimes.

One thing I don't like about quite a few horror novels I've dropped, is when they make everything about the world depressing. I mean like background implications of the novel-world accepting or propagating human-farming-esque sexual slavery being normalised, or gratuitous accepted death and violence across the board, because then it feels like it's gore/violence only for some kind of thrill/shock factor, not as an actual legitimate plot-related worldbuilding device.

Also, the thing is, even with horror novels I want to know why. Why is the world like this? Why is the character like this? How did this horror factor come to exist. I want reasons and logic, not just 'because I said so' story logic.

ManwX

I adore horror novels, but it really depends on the type of horror, and my mood. Sometimes I want full on psychological horror, other times I want subtle creepy horror, but other times I want simple violence-gore-everyone-dies kind of horror. Weirdly though, I don't want a horror novel where I get attached to the main character and they die. I don't care that much about most side characters, but I get seriously attached to the main characters sometimes.

One thing I don't like about quite a few horror novels I've dropped, is when they make everything about the world depressing. I mean like background implications of the novel-world accepting or propagating human-farming-esque sexual slavery being normalised, or gratuitous accepted death and violence across the board, because then it feels like it's gore/violence only for some kind of thrill/shock factor, not as an actual legitimate plot-related worldbuilding device.

Also, the thing is, even with horror novels I want to know why. Why is the world like this? Why is the character like this? How did this horror factor come to exist. I want reasons and logic, not just 'because I said so' story logic.
same about the last part

melchi

What is a custom title?
I've actually never read a horror novel that really got me interested in the genre. I read some of the ravenloft novels but they were more tragic than scary. That is not saying they were bad, well some of them were bad. But I really liked vampire of the mists. Not because it was scary but I think the that is one of the first exposures I've had to the dichotomy of something good and something bad mixed together: an elven vampire.

bulmabriefs144

I like slash horror (not to be confused with slash fiction, or slasher horror). That is, comedy/horror, romance/horror, or fantasy/horror.

Pure horror seems overplayed to me.

Kitty

I am not a fan of Lovecraftian horror.

Though the Hyperion Cantos is mostly seen as science fiction, there are certain horror elements that are exceedingly well done. Love the Priest's story, and love Hyperion to death.

Disclaimer: I have never read Stephen King, the supposed King of horror.