Are they overreacting or i am underreacting?

Keriahenta

So i watch a clip of a film the other day. It was about a family of 5. The children were treated like the stereotypes. Like the middle child is ignored, the oldest was told to protect his little sisters, and the youngest was spoiled as fck. Basically, some random irrelevant conflict happened, and somehow it lead to the oldest finding out he had a twin. His twin died after they were born.
I feel like they are overreacting. Like the oldest was screaming and freaking out how it was unfair that their parents keep his dead twin a secret and they were having a big fight. There was even a quote that the oldest said to his father "We weren't told because you want us to be happy? How can we be happy if we don't know how to be sad?".
If i found that i have a dead twin that i have never met or have any interaction with my whole life my reaction is probably going to be something like "Well, thats sad." And moved on. Even if my parents never told me about it.

Kenjona

Well, as an very much ignored middle child, there is a reason for those stereotypes. As someone who did have an unborn twin; I learned about it in my early tweens/late childhood, I am with you on the the overreacting bit at learning the news. So maybe the Older child was a "Drama" magnet and that was their way to lash out? Which is entirely possible.

J_Chemist

An overreaction, I'd say. They lived their entire lives not knowing about it and they turned out fine. Now all of a sudden they find out they had a twin dead at near-birth. What are they gonna do about it? Bitch, whine, and cry? Doesn't bring back the dead twin that had zero influence in their life. The death of the child had more of an impact on the parents anyways, so the fact that the child is now being a drama queen over it probably doesn't help those dormant feelings that still probably bugged them.

The parents having a fight put in more effort than I would have. I would've just scoffed and went to do something else. Fuck that spoiled brat.

Tempokai

Overworked One
Sounds like the oldest have some sort of savior complex to me. Trying to make a drama from the issue from the past that was almost 2 decades ago(idk) while trying framing himself as some sort of victim is definitely that.

It's definitely overreacting, and he has some mental problems.

TotallyHuman

So i watch a clip of a film the other day. It was about a family of 5. The children were treated like the stereotypes. Like the middle child is ignored, the oldest was told to protect his little sisters, and the youngest was spoiled as fck. Basically, some random irrelevant conflict happened, and somehow it lead to the oldest finding out he had a twin. His twin died after they were born.
I feel like they are overreacting. Like the oldest was screaming and freaking out how it was unfair that their parents keep his dead twin a secret and they were having a big fight. There was even a quote that the oldest said to his father "We weren't told because you want us to be happy? How can we be happy if we don't know how to be sad?".
If i found that i have a dead twin that i have never met or have any interaction with my whole life my reaction is probably going to be something like "Well, thats sad." And moved on. Even if my parents never told me about it.
I've seen people freak out on matters even more stupid as I am sure you have too (like the pronouns I am to address them as, or the fact that holocaust is a jew hoax, same as moon landing and wearing a mask and taking fucking vaccines during the fake pandemic - feel triggered yet? Jk btw - or am I??). If one is to be honest, there is nothing in the world worth reacting to excessively, or, inversely, one should react with all their might to any and every thing they experience. Feelings are worthless at the end of the day. Let a fucking fictional character of all things react however he wants.

Last edited:

foxoftheasterisk

Sounds like one of those times where the thing the argument is about isn't what the argument is really about.

TheSpiritInMe

They are overreacting :ROFLMAO:

AuntieMaysLittleCousin

Level 73 Practical Procastinator
Well, they are overeacting, but then again, what did you expect? It's a movie, I guess they need the drama to make it more interesting.
I agree with you on the dead twin thing tho. I guess I'd be a little upset about my parents hiding that kind of stuff from me, but that's about it...

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
They are overreacting

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I've seen people freak out on matters even more stupid as I am sure you have too (like the pronouns I am to address them as, or the fact that holocaust is a jew hoax, same as moon landing and wearing a mask and taking fucking vaccines during the fake pandemic - feel triggered yet? Jk btw - or am I??). If one is to be honest, there is nothing in the world worth reacting to excessively, or, inversely, one should react with all their might to any and every thing they experience. Feelings are worthless at the end of the day. Let a fucking fictional character of all things react however he wants.
School

The simple explanation is drama movie playing up drama.

The more long winded one is that there's no objectively appropriate level of reaction to any given situation and that "outbursts out of nowhere" in my experience tend to be caused by associations more often than the situation itself.

If, as an example, the eldest experienced the parent's attitude towards them as generally belittling and authoritative, (again from my personal experiences, it wouldn't be that far fetched for parents who lost an early child to lean heavily on keeping the others out of harm's way over letting them make their own experiences and mistakes) the point might not be the hidden story in the first place, but the feeling of something this important being decided over their head.

I didn't watch the movie of course, so this isn't an interpretation, just something to illustrate my point.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Well, for starters, you probably shouldn't pass real-life judgements on movies.

"Is Vin Diesel too strong to arm wrestle a Dodge Charger or am I underreacting?"

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I almost had an older sister. She sadly died on the hospital shortly after my parents adopted her from my aunt (who couldn't afford taking her daughter to a good hospital)... Aunt died a few months after, so... If the daughter had survived, she'd probably have become my older sister instead of cousin, since the aunt would have passed away anyways, so my parents would have raised her as their daughter.

Well, I heard of that sometime during my childhood or teen years and was like... "Oh, that's sad..." and moved on. I can't really imagine any other reaction.

That said, there are fights and quarrels that can happen for small reasons, when the small reason is just like, a trigger that highlights a bigger issue behind it. In that case the reaction makes sense. Not because of the isolated event in itself, but because of the rest of the relationship between the children and the parents.

But if we are to look at the event in isolation, then yes, it's absolutely an overreaction.

SternenklarenRitter

Well, it doesn't make any difference to me if someone I never knew died immediately after I was born. But if that stranger was my parents' child... I would be quite upset to find out my parents were excluding me from such an important event in their lives.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
It's drama, so it's inherently pure overreaction.