asking for free stuff

grandiddykane

damn bro i get not wanting to do a whole comic the length of one piece for free but for ****s sakes, not even a novel cover? is even that too much to ask, lmfao.

you guys don't have any free time? you're always doing freelance? you can't do people favors every once in a while? you always need to make a profit from your hard work just like writers do (joke, because they don't)?

i've seen artists on other forums asking for writers to help them with their endeavors (comics), and within minutes, countless writers are begging for the opportunity, even when they know damn well they won't be getting paid for it. but when writers do it, its plain wrong; detestable. logic?

and i know what you're saying. its simply their choice, right? if they wanna work for free, that's them, not me.

cool. i get that. but you're forgetting something. writing is the same as drawing. there are those with skill, and there are those without it. tell me, why should a good writer work for free when even a shitty artist expects to get paid?

let me tell you guys something. you think drawing some pwetty pictoehs is hard? try writing a good, well structured story with believable characters and imaginative worldbuilding and magic systems and pacing and keeping exposition down to a minimum and having a good ending and...

lastly, i just want to say i don't appreciate people who read between the lines. so here's what i'll do. if you don't address every single thing i said in this thread and show me that you understand and know that i'm spitting facts and that there's nothing you can do to deny it, i will not bother replying to you.

Last edited:

grandiddykane

I can't draw... :blob_teary: If you didn't understand the joke, I literally can't, even stick figures are too much for me. And yes, the thread will be locked=silenced.
the joke? what joke? and let me correct you on that last bit. locking = temporarily silenced :3
its cuz artists have the biggest ego
i wonder how they ended up like that. it's sad really.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
damn bro i get not wanting to do a whole comic the length of one piece for free but for ****s sakes, not even a novel cover? is even that too much to ask, lmfao.
It depends on what it is asked for.
you guys don't have any free time? you're always doing freelance? you can't do people favors every once in a while? you always need to make a profit from your hard work just like writers do (joke, because they don't).
Would you do stuff for other people, if you have things you want to do for yourself? Doing stuff you want to do will give you happiness.
i've seen artists on other forums asking for writers to help them with their endeavors (comics), and within minutes, countless writers are begging for the opportunity, even when they know damn well they won't be getting paid for it. but when writers do it, its plain wrong; detestable. logic?
Whenever I see a thread asking for free art I can't help but think that they are really sloppily written without thought. How long did they take? One minute, two minutes? I don't feel sincerity behind it, because saying that 'one is broke' is said so easily.

In most cases the whole thing goes so:
They weren't asking for gay stuff, and I don't know the author, nor do I read their book.

I did two free covers for a friend, because
1) I liked the story
2) The requested art was up to me, there were no requirements, deadlines, or any pressure at all
3) It was during a lockdown, so I had plenty of time.

I also do fanart, because that's what I like and feel worth investing my time, energy, and skills into. Yet, none of the requesters wrote in a way that would pique my interest, instead, I got scam links flashbacks.
and i know what you're saying. its simply their choice, right? if they wanna work for free, that's them, not me.
cool. i get that. but you're forgetting something. writing is the same as drawing. there are those with skill, and there are those without it. tell me, why should a good writer work for free when even a shitty artist expects to get paid?
I tried myself with webcomic too. I have to say that the artist probably has the main plot already when they ask for a writer's help. I doubt they wouldn't because drawing something you can't or don't like is hard. Also, they will have to be co-writing through the entire process, because only they know what is possible to draw with their skills and what is artistically more pleasing.

Writers can leave anytime (after writing the script for one chapter or after a season), but an artist can't simply leave in the middle when they take on the request for free art.
let me tell you guys something. you think drawing some pwetty pictoehs is hard. try writing a good, well structured story with believable characters and imaginative worldbuilding and magic systems and pacing and keeping exposition down to a minimum and having a good ending and...
I think both is hard as I do both, writing and drawing. Nobody was denying that. What one feels is easier to do depends on skill level in each field.

lastly, i just want to say i don't appreciate people who read between the lines. so here's what i'll do. if you don't address every single thing i said in this thread and show me that you understand and know that i'm spitting facts and that there's nothing you can do to deny it, i will not bother replying to it.
What I couldn't even find between the lines was correct capitalization. But it was clear that someone is salty and doesn't like artists.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty

:blob_blank: I am impressed by the level of entitlement on this one.

its cuz artists have the biggest ego
Blob I have a confession to make! We writers have big egos too. I mean, look at this one. The ego is massive. Too big to realize that time is precious and valuable.:blob_uwu:

Writers write for free because they want to. Some artists do things for free because they want to. Nothing wrong with that. I write for free, yet I don't expect people to give me shit for free. I do everything myself, and if someone offers, then fuck it! Great! Thank you very much! And even then I had someone offer, and back off.

Did I get angry? Nope. Why? Because it was fucking free. I lost nothing. Not even time.

The only thing to learn here is to learn to do everything yourself. Simple really. Don't expect free stuff to be given to you, even when you do crap for free.

The only fact that's true in life and in this business is that nothing in life is free. That goes with good writing and good art.

SailusGebel

It depends on what it is asked for.

Would you do stuff for other people, if you have things you want to do for yourself? Doing stuff you want to do will give you happiness.

Whenever I see a thread asking for free art I can't help but think that they are really sloppily written without thought. How long did they take? One minute, two minutes? I don't feel sincerity behind it, because saying that 'one is broke' is said so easily.

In most cases the whole thing goes so:
They weren't asking for gay stuff, and I don't know the author, nor do I read their book.

I did two free covers for a friend, because
1) I liked the story
2) The requested art was up to me, there were no requirements, deadlines, or any pressure at all
3) It was during a lockdown, so I had plenty of time.

I also do fanart, because that's what I like and feel worth investing my time, energy, and skills into. Yet, none of the requesters wrote in a way that would pique my interest, instead, I got scam links flashbacks.

I tried myself with webcomic too. I have to say that the artist probably has the main plot already when they ask for a writer's help. I doubt they wouldn't because drawing something you can't or don't like is hard. Also, they will have to be co-writing through the entire process, because only they know what is possible to draw with their skills and what is artistically more pleasing.

Writers can leave anytime (after writing the script for one chapter or after a season), but an artist can't simply leave in the middle when they take on the request for free art.

I think both is hard as I do both, writing and drawing. Nobody was denying that. What one feels is easier to do depends on skill level in each field.

What I couldn't even find between the lines was correct capitalization. But it was clear that someone is salty and doesn't like artists.
I may misinterpret what the op meant, but the main issue is that artists shit on those who ask for free art instead of silently ignoring such people.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I may misinterpret what the op meant, but the main issue is that artists shit on those who ask for free art instead of silently ignoring such people.
:blob_hmm: One big rant when it could be said in one short sentence...

SailusGebel

:blob_hmm: One big rant when it could be said in one short sentence...
As I said, I may misinterpret what the op meant. Perhaps I'm wrong, and you are right. The op might simply be salty and dislike artists in general, thus ranting on this forum.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
I held out on the hope that it was an ironic post making fun of people who beg and get mad when they don't recieve, but as I read on, I am disappointed.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
As I said, I may misinterpret what the op meant. Perhaps I'm wrong, and you are right. The op might simply be salty and dislike artists in general, thus ranting on this forum.
Pretty sure they are salty. :blob_blank: But you are also right. Sometimes it is better to ignore.

However, people simply shouldn't ask for free things. Especially using this terrible argument that op placed. Idk if it was how I was raised. But things that require hard work shouldn't be asked for. So, I always answer with do it yourself. If they can't, then they should know why they shouldn't ask for free custom art. Even for a cover...

i wonder how they ended up like that. it's sad really.
they get too much support.

:blob_blank: I am impressed by the level of entitlement on this one.

Blob I have a confession to make! We writers have big egos too. I mean, look at this one. The ego is massive. Too big to realize that time is precious and valuable.:blob_uwu:

Writers write for free because they want to. Some artists do things for free because they want to. Nothing wrong with that. I write for free, yet I don't expect people to give me shit for free. I do everything myself, and if someone offers, then fuck it! Great! Thank you very much! And even then I had someone offer, and back off.

Did I get angry? Nope. Why? Because it was fucking free. I lost nothing. Not even time.

The only thing to learn here is to learn to do everything yourself. Simple really. Don't expect free stuff to be given to you, even when you do crap for free.

The only fact that's true in life and in this business is that nothing in life is free. That goes with good writing and good art.
I don't think op is an author though. And I'm the most humblest person I know - possibly the most humblestest to have ever existed. I'll be honest here, I just skimmed through the post. this is clearly bait.

You got to have one if any random person on the internet can and probably did throw
this sounds like something a serial killer would say

SailusGebel

Pretty sure they are salty. :blob_blank: But you are also right. Sometimes it is better to ignore.

However, people simply shouldn't ask for free things. Especially using this terrible argument that op placed. Idk if it was how I was raised. But things that require hard work shouldn't be asked for. So, I always answer with do it yourself. If they can't, then they should know why they shouldn't ask for free custom art. Even for a cover...
Look, not only do I hate when someone asks something for free, I hate taking anything for free. I got a couple of offers from my readers to help with my stories. I denied every offer because I couldn't offer anything in return. So, when artists willingly go and ask for reviews(for free) or go into threads that offer free reviews; and THEN, they scold people who ask for free cover. I don't know; it just doesn't look right to me. Tell everyone who asks for a free review to do it themselves. Well, they can't do it, so tell them to pay for each review. I foresee that I will get a few responses towards this proposition, mostly saying that my logic is flawed, and so on. But it's the fairest thing to do. If you admonish people that asking for a free cover is bad, you should also admonish people who ask for free reviews. You shouldn't ask for free reviews yourself, and don't give free reviews. I'm talking about forum reviews.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I don't think op is an author though. And I'm the most humblest person I know - possibly the most humblestest to have ever existed. I'll be honest here, I just skimmed through the post. this is clearly bait.
:blob_aww: I think you are a very humble person, Blob! If that helps!

I doubt it too.

Look, not only do I hate when someone asks something for free, I hate taking anything for free. I got a couple of offers from my readers to help with my stories. I denied every offer because I couldn't offer anything in return. So, when artists willingly go and ask for reviews(for free) or go into threads that offer free reviews; and THEN, they scold people who ask for free cover. I don't know; it just doesn't look right to me. Tell everyone who asks for a free review to do it themselves. Well, they can't do it, so tell them to pay for each review. I foresee that I will get a few responses towards this proposition, mostly saying that my logic is flawed, and so on. But it's the fairest thing to do. If you admonish people that asking for a free cover is bad, you should also admonish people who ask for free reviews. You shouldn't ask for free reviews yourself, and don't give free reviews. I'm talking about forum reviews.
Your logic isn't flawed, and you're right. Sailus Senpai, though I have to say if your fan wants to do something for you. I say you should let them. After all, you are providing a free story for them. *I don't know if you have a Patreon or are charging them in a way.* But if your story is 100% free, then you should accept any help. You are offering your story. :blob_aww:

Also, you are right. And it's why I don't ask for free reviews on my story unless they are offering. Why? Because I want to see where I am weak and I can improve. So, if they offer, why not? Heck, not that I expect them to do it. Though when they do it, I learn and move on. I also try to help others now and then to balance it out. So, no, you can't do a review on your own, but you can help others to pay back. Or do swaps. Not that everyone does this.:sweat_smile:

We aren't talking about editing, which would be the same as a cover, though. Imagine editing 3k words or more for a story you haven't written and probably have little interest. This is very different from giving a review. It takes a lot of time. That is the only flaw I see in your argument. Though let's get real, short reviews take little time 2-3 chapters, in-depth reviews take you to read the whole story. This is something almost no one is doing for free unless they like the story.:blob_blank:

I honestly would rather brainlessly read a story than edit it.:sweating_profusely: Then just say the grammar was shit in my review. xD