Author Tools

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Some of you may feel that writing is too troublesome because you have to do so many other things instead of just writing. But fear not! Ai-chan has a solution for you! Below are the tools that Ai-chan has used (or made) that will be of use to you!

Programs Ai-chan has made:
1) Starship Creator (HTML5, which can run on your browser off the box)
- This is a tool Ai-chan made for one of Ai-chan's sci-fi story, so it may not fit your story to a T. However, it's general enough that you can use it as a reference as you design your own sci-fi ships. If you have any modification request, ask and maybe Ai-chan will be bored enough that Ai-chan decides that satisfying your selfish request is more fun than doing nothing.
- The license is Public Domain, which means you can use it however way you want in whichever capacity without crediting Ai-chan or mentioning the name of the program. Though it would be nice if you thank Ai-chan for it.
2) Syllable-based Name Generator (HTML5, which can run on your browser off the box)
- This is a tool Ai-chan made because all the names Ai-chan can think of is getting repetitive. Using this program, you can create any combination of syllables from Japanese hiragana up to 5 syllables. Ai-chan can make it up to 10 if Ai-chan wants to, but who wants to use such a long name? Using this program, Ai-chan has made a protagonist of one of Ai-chan's story named Hefumefu.
- Please take note that the names created from SNG have absolutely no meaning whatsoever. It's only for you to create a completely random and unique name with the odds of getting the exact same name being 1 in 205,962,976 for 5-syllable names (God is within her, she will not fall). After all, Aira, Anya, Jackson, and Maria are getting old. Future updates may include meaningful Japanese name generator. Experiment with the randomly generated name to see which one sounds good to you. There's a 'back' button in case you're not satisfied with the generated name.
- The license is Public Domain, which means you can use it however way you want in whichever capacity without crediting Ai-chan or mentioning the name of the program. Though it would be nice if you thank Ai-chan for it.

Free professional programs for you:
1) WriteWay Pro
- It's like Scrivener with fewer features and no cloud capability. However, it's close enough to Scrivener that if you've never used Scrivener, you won't lose anything. Plus, the programmer is now retired and has made it free! Cost/performance-wise, WriteWay Pro is better than Scrivener.
2) Focuswriter
- Have you ever felt like you missed the sound of a typewriter? This software has it built-in! Focuswriter is a distraction-free word processor, allowing you to write without being disturbed by anything else, such as youtube, the time, trolls on the net, NUF notifications and many more! The hypnotic sound of the typewriter even helps you focus on your work by tuning out everything such as your mom's nagging voice, your wife's orders and your husband's request for hump hump on the bed.
3) Grammarly
- This is the stuff that fixes your grammar. Ai-chan is using it even now as Ai-chan writes this post, and it has highlighted 9 errors so far. It's free as a browser extension, so use it as you wish. It won't make you a better author or a grammar master, but it will at least help you avoid the more common grammatical errors.

Cover Maker assistance
1) Canva
- It is a free service (with premium features) that allows you to make your book covers easily and quickly. Ai-chan used this to make the covers of Ai-chan's books in Seven Years of Hope and Hero Prince(ss). Ai-chan only spent 5 minutes to make them.

This one was also made using canva, though the shadowy dog effect was made using photoshop. Unfortunately, it's currently a tapas exclusive and Ai-chan can't post it here in scribblehub until February. Click on the thumbnail to see the bigger picture.
The Hounds Of Hell(1).jpg

Did you find this helpful? What other free software have you found so far that help you write? Would you like to share the program that you yourself made?

p/s: For Ai-chan's google drive files, you only need to press download but instead of pressing 'save file', choose 'open with browser' if you don't want to save it.

Last edited:

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Cover Maker assistance
1) Canva
- It is a free service (with premium features) that allows you to make your book covers easily and quickly. Ai-chan used this to make the covers of Ai-chan's books in Seven Years of Hope and Hero Prince(ss). Ai-chan only spent 5 minutes to make them.

This one was also made using canva, though the shadowy dog effect was made using photoshop. Unfortunately, it's currently a tapas exclusive and Ai-chan can't post it here in scribblehub until February. Click on the thumbnail to see the bigger picture.
Oooh, this one might be really helpful for when I eventually post my story.
Thanks, Ai-chan~!
*huggles*
\(^o^)/

Also, thanks in general for the entire helpful post.

X

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
Thanks for sharing this~

TrismegistusShandy

I'll list some other tools I've found helpful for coming up with names for characters, especially for stories set in the real world or a close variant of it.

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi -- Lets you find a list of popular baby names for any year from 1880 to 2017, or track the popularity of a name over time.

https://names.gender.space/ -- tells you how common a name is for both boys and girls in any given birth year. Lets you find names anywhere on the gender spectrum by clicking the spectrum at the top of the page, or enter a specific name and year and see how popular it was that year for each sex. If you scroll further down the page after searching for a specific name, you'll see a graph of how relatively popular it was for each sex for every year from 1880 to 2016.

http://surnames.behindthename.com/ -- gives you lists of surnames for various nationalities and ethnicities, with their etymologies.

http://www.frathwiki.com/Software_tools_for_conlanging#Word_generators -- a list of various tools you can use to generate a consistent-sounding set of names or words for a fantasy setting. They have a bit of a steper learning curve than the tool Ai-chan linked, but they don't limit you to Japanese phonology.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
http://www.frathwiki.com/Software_tools_for_conlanging#Word_generators -- a list of various tools you can use to generate a consistent-sounding set of names or words for a fantasy setting. They have a bit of a steper learning curve than the tool Ai-chan linked, but they don't limit you to Japanese phonology.
Ai-chan was impressed by https://www.vulgarlang.com in your link and ended up paying for the pro version lol Ai-chan still hasn't gotten around to exploring it fully yet and frankly the advanced features are a bit too much for a non-linguist like Ai-chan. Ai-chan is fluent with multiple language, but hell if Ai-chan knows why languages behave the way they do.

Anyhow, here is the language that Ai-chan made with this tool (click download but instead of save as, choose open with browser):

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
Ai-chan was impressed by https://www.vulgarlang.com in your link and ended up paying for the pro version lol Ai-chan still hasn't gotten around to exploring it fully yet and frankly the advanced features are a bit too much for a non-linguist like Ai-chan. Ai-chan is fluent with multiple language, but hell if Ai-chan knows why languages behave the way they do.

Anyhow, here is the language that Ai-chan made with this tool (click download but instead of save as, choose open with browser):
Further to help with understanding the pronounciation, you can use this ipa reader tool https://itinerarium.github.io/phoneme-synthesis/

Wintertime

King of Nothing
Do you have a GitHub or Codepen for the documentation of your programs? I am interested in tinkering with some of them. Thanks for this, btw.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Some of you may feel that writing is too troublesome because you have to do so many other things instead of just writing. But fear not! Ai-chan has a solution for you! Below are the tools that Ai-chan has used (or made) that will be of use to you!

Programs Ai-chan has made:
1) Starship Creator (HTML5, which can run on your browser off the box)
- This is a tool Ai-chan made for one of Ai-chan's sci-fi story, so it may not fit your story to a T. However, it's general enough that you can use it as a reference as you design your own sci-fi ships. If you have any modification request, ask and maybe Ai-chan will be bored enough that Ai-chan decides that satisfying your selfish request is more fun than doing nothing.
2) Syllable-based Name Generator (HTML5, which can run on your browser off the box)
- This is a tool Ai-chan made because all the names Ai-chan can think of is getting repetitive. Using this program, you can create any combination of syllables from Japanese hiragana up to 5 syllables. Ai-chan can make it up to 10 if Ai-chan wants to, but who wants to use such a long name? Using this program, Ai-chan has made a protagonist of one of Ai-chan's story named Hefumefu.
- Please take note that the names created from SNG have absolutely no meaning whatsoever. It's only for you to create a completely random and unique name with the odds of getting the exact same name being 1 in 205,962,976 for 5-syllable names (God is within her, she will not fall). After all, Aira, Anya, Jackson, and Maria are getting old. Future updates may include meaningful Japanese name generator. Experiment with the randomly generated name to see which one sounds good to you. There's a 'back' button in case you're not satisfied with the generated name.

Free professional programs for you:
1) WriteWay Pro
- It's like Scrivener with fewer features and no cloud capability. However, it's close enough to Scrivener that if you've never used Scrivener, you won't lose anything. Plus, the programmer is now retired and has made it free! Cost/performance-wise, WriteWay Pro is better than Scrivener.
2) Focuswriter
- Have you ever felt like you missed the sound of a typewriter? This software has it built-in! Focuswriter is a distraction-free word processor, allowing you to write without being disturbed by anything else, such as youtube, the time, trolls on the net, NUF notifications and many more! The hypnotic sound of the typewriter even helps you focus on your work by tuning out everything such as your mom's nagging voice, your wife's orders and your husband's request for hump hump on the bed.
3) Grammarly
- This is the stuff that fixes your grammar. Ai-chan is using it even now as Ai-chan writes this post, and it has highlighted 9 errors so far. It's free as a browser extension, so use it as you wish. It won't make you a better author or a grammar master, but it will at least help you avoid the more common grammatical errors.

Cover Maker assistance
1) Canva

View attachment 20

Did you find this helpful? What other free software have you found so far that help you write? Would you like to share the program that you yourself made?

p/s: For Ai-chan's google drive files, you only need to press download but instead of pressing 'save file', choose 'open with browser' if you don't want to save it.
Writewaypro looks so bad it looks like a scam site lol

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I've seen people recommend scribens and hemingwayapp over Grammarly, but I prefer Grammarly, since I only use it for grammar and don't need advanced features.

I can not not stop recommending scrivener, before that I used to write on reedsy, which was inferior

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Writewaypro looks so bad it looks like a scam site lol
It's a decent program in of itself.

I have been using Quoll Writer as it has a simple interface that doesn't intimidate me like Scrivener or YWriter. It's got the categories things on the side and even the "focus mode" that was mentioned. Its own typewriter sounds don't slow down with heavy cpu use like qwertick does so I love it. Unfortunately, it doesn't have that metallic reset sound once I hit enter.

Beside that I switch between LibreOffice and Microsoft Word. Only because I didn't know how easy it was to do things to make the licensing legit. I got used to Libre from using it for years. To do some final editing.