Authors recruitment - Good Complete Story only

Sunrhae

Heya Beautiful people of the internet,

I've been away from SH for a long time now and I'm a bit out of touch with good reads. You see, the site I work for is going to launch an original author section soon and I'm in charge of head-hunting good stories. I've already contacted one but I feel like I need some recommendations.

It's a legal site so, the authors selected will have contracts with royalties, be assigned a PR, have their stories promoted, published online and on Ebooks. If their stories are popular, they may have a print and audiobook.

Which completed stories do you think deserve to be published?

Edit:

Thanks to Ai-Chan, I realised it looks a bit sketchy, so I'll add some info:

I'm the Chief Content Officier at WordExcerpt. I'm in charge of Original Authors, Adaptation and Art Dept. You guys are welcome to visit our website and our Twitter or my own (I'm not really active on it lately)

You rather you contact me here on the forum or on SH for this phase.

We offer exclusive contracts, no minimum guarantee, 25% of net profit, contract duration 2 years. Details can be negotiated. We'll be in charge of the advertisement on the website and our social media, as well as the ebook packaging. Print and audiobook can be discussed depending on the sales.

I'm looking for complete novels or completed 1st volume. Romance, Fantasy, Smut, Modern, BL.
50k + words only
I'm not looking for: - Fanfics, - Wuxia with male protagonists and only focused on cultivation, - Rebirth into a well-known franchise.

Last edited:

MoodyFoxCat

Is there a limit to this? A deadline? Or is it up for as long it will be?

Probably not the best question to ask about it but just me

Sunrhae

Is there a limit to this? A deadline? Or is it up for as long it will be?

Probably not the best question to ask about it but just me
There's no deadline nor real limit. I'm currently doing a reading list of potential authors, so I'll add the ones suggested here. Then, read all of them to choose. It's going to take a while anyway and I want to unearth some good gems.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
The whole announcement is written in a positive image and with a reassuring tone while there's technically no information on anything crucial. You seem to be looking for good, completed stories, but no good, completed author will look at an offer that doesn't even mention the name of the site/company/project. There are a lot of empty promises here and pretty much zero concrete data, and I'm not talking about aspects that could have been explained with whatever kind of secrecy or NDA reasoning.

Just my two cents that the post looks like scam. I'm not saying that it is, but it certainly wasn't designed to avoid that image. At least mention the site.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
The whole announcement is written in a positive image and with a reassuring tone while there's technically no information on anything crucial. You seem to be looking for good, completed stories, but no good, completed author will look at an offer that doesn't even mention the name of the site/company/project. There are a lot of empty promises here and pretty much zero concrete data, and I'm not talking about aspects that could have been explained with whatever kind of secrecy or NDA reasoning.

Just my two cents that the post looks like scam. I'm not saying that it is, but it certainly wasn't designed to avoid that image. At least mention the site.
Yeah, the opening post sounds very much like a scam. No website link, no concrete rules, conditions or terms. No company name, brand name, contact method or whatever else that a legitimate company would give. It's so similar to the standard publishing scam where every contract is tailored to "How much we can screw over dumb, ignorant authors while keeping a whole large chunk of money for ourselves".

Ai-chan doesn't know if this is a scam, so Ai-chan is not saying outright that this is a scam. These is nothing here to even investigate if it is a scam or not in the first place. Ai-chan is just saying that this looks very much like a scam, and if something looks like a scam, it probably is. Even qidian would give links to their website when they're trying to scam people and they scammed a lot of people.

At the very minimum, you should have:

1. Website link
e.g. www.readnovel.com
2. Company info
e.g. Read Novel LLC, registered 101121-939110, London Business Registry
3. Contact info
e.g. Michael King at [email protected]
4. Terms of Service/Use link
e.g. www.readnovel.com/tos/
5. Contract info
e.g. Between 50k to 80k words. Signup payment USD10,000, 10% monthly ad sharing profit. Company assumes copyright for the duration of the contract.

Last edited:

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
I have so many questions. What are the conditions? Is there an exclusivity contract? Do we surrender the rights to our work? What median payout can we expect? Is there any money guarantee if your site flops? What do you provide that other similar services don't? Why should I trust you?

Sunrhae

Yeah, the opening post sounds very much like a scam. No website link, no concrete rules, conditions or terms. No company name, brand name, contact method or whatever else that a legitimate company would give. It's so similar to the standard publishing scam where every contract is tailored to "How much we can screw over dumb, ignorant authors while keeping a whole large chunk of money for ourselves".

Ai-chan doesn't know if this is a scam, so Ai-chan is not saying outright that this is a scam. These is nothing here to even investigate if it is a scam or not in the first place. Ai-chan is just saying that this looks very much like a scam, and if something looks like a scam, it probably is. Even qidian would give links to their website when they're trying to scam people and they scammed a lot of people.

At the very minimum, you should have:

1. Website link
e.g. www.readnovel.com
2. Company info
e.g. Read Novel LLC, registered 101121-939110, London Business Registry
3. Contact info
e.g. Michael King at [email protected]
4. Terms of Service/Use link
e.g. www.readnovel.com/tos/
5. Contract info
e.g. Between 50k to 80k words. Signup payment USD10,000, 10% monthly ad sharing profit. Company assumes copyright for the duration of the contract.

My bad! You're right!

I didn't write all of this because it's not a formal recruitment more like head-hunting right now. In hindsight, I did make it sound like a scam. I'll edit my post.

Thanks for pointing it out!
I have so many questions. What are the conditions? Is there an exclusivity contract? Do we surrender the rights to our work? What median payout can we expect? Is there any money guarantee if your site flops? What do you provide that other similar services don't? Why should I trust you?
- It can be exclusive or non-exclusive contract.

- No, you don't surrender your rights, the contract has a minimum length of 2years.

- THere's no minimum guarantee nor payout upfront. Your royalties will depend on how popular your novel is.

- WordExcerpt isn't a new site and it's not going to flop anytime soon as it's a legal group.

- If you sign with us, you'll have a professional editor and PR. Your stories will be published as Ebooks, print and audiobooks can be discussed after 6months depending on your sales. The same goes for webtoon adaptation.

- Well, I'm an author myself who's going to be on the original author section, so I'm not going to screw fellow writers over.

Any other questions? :blob_evil_two:

Last edited:

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
The twitter describes the website as being "dedicated to producing korean novels", how can I be sure your website's audience would even be interested in US/Europe-written stories?

Sunrhae

The twitter describes the website as being "dedicated to producing korean novels", how can I be sure your website's audience would even be interested in US/Europe-written stories?
If we didn't it would work, we wouldn't have open a section for original authors.
Moreover, we are carefully selecting the stories that we believe will interest our readers.

Nanakawaichan

If I'm not mistaken that website's reader mostly is women, right? I thought you only go for korean translate novels. (I remember I read Remarried Empress about 2 years ago on that Web)

Sunrhae

If I'm not mistaken that website's reader mostly is women, right? I thought you only go for korean translate novels. (I remember I read Remarried Empress about 2 years ago on that Web)
Indeed, we mostly cater to women.

We focus mainly on korean for the translation part. But we also want for our readers to discover more stories, hence why we decided to open an original section.

Because we want to keep our high standards, the selection is pretty harsh. People may think that our conditions aren't that great or exceptional compared to other sites. However, we'll work with the authors to take their stories to another level. We'll turn them into ebooks and the print will be registered in the library of Congress.