Automatically link prequels & sequels to 1st & last chapter pages

PurpleCatGirl

When you're on the final chapter of a completed story, if there's a 'Related story: sequel' set up for that story it would be really really cool if the [Next] button would take you to that sequel's first chapter (or at least the details page of the sequel story), instead of just being greyed out.

Likewise if there's a 'Related story: prequel' set up and you're on the first chapter, instead of greying out the [Previous] button it would be great if that took you either to the prequel's detail page or the last chapter of the prequel.

Basically instead of readers having to go to the story's details page & visually look for the prequel / sequel links, it would be fantastic if that function was built into the chapter pagination Previous & Next buttons. Or make it visible in some other way? Like basically just make it super easy for readers to keep reading when there's a sequel.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
It would probably cause some confusion, especially if both the sequel and the prequels have different main characters.

I think it makes more sense to let the readers go after those themselves instead.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
You have a problem if there was multiple prequels or sequels, like in parallel. Imo the best implementation would be a "Related" page where the prequels and sequels are laid out.

PurpleCatGirl

You have a problem if there was multiple prequels or sequels, like in parallel. Imo the best implementation would be a "Related" page where the prequels and sequels are laid out.
ah good point. i didnt think about cases where 1 story could have multiple prequels or sequels.

idk the best way to implement it, mainly i just hope for something on the last chapter to indicate to readers theres 'more', like without them having to go digging for it?

i can add my own links in author notes at the end, but feels like alot of people dont read the author comments etc, so i figured putting it in the 'next' button, or putting something else near the 'next' button would make it easy for folks to see that the story continues elsewhere

Lena

Okay, just brainstorming here, but maybe you can embed an image of the cover of the prequel in the author notes and make the image a link to the prequel?

If readers are quickly scrolling past that, they might notice the cover, and take a moment to read the author notes?
(or maybe not, just a idea)

PurpleCatGirl

Okay, just brainstorming here, but maybe you can embed an image of the cover of the prequel in the author notes and make the image a link to the prequel?

If readers are quickly scrolling past that, they might notice the cover, and take a moment to read the author notes?
(or maybe not, just a idea)
thats a really good idea, i like it! thanks! ^^