Beastkin clothing styles

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Hi all!

I'm collecting all sorts of ideas to help me develop an image for one of my stories, and I'm really curious about clothing styles for beastkin.

It's something I'd like to understand better because many beastkin have tails, and it's obviously necessary for their clothing to account for that.

If you stumble upon any pics or examples, I'd love to see them!

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
A really simple solution is they dont wear clothes :whistle:

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Well, heavily depends on the settings. Like @Ddraig said they could not wear any clothings but if you set it in a medieval time they could be wearing heavy armours.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
A really simple solution is they dont wear clothes :whistle:
I think that works for super furry beastkin but might be an issue for the more human-looking ones :blob_joy:

Well, heavily depends on the settings. Like @Ddraig said they could not wear any clothings but if you set it in a medieval time they could be wearing heavy armours.
Yup! I'm interested in anything an everything (though I guess not super sci-fi)! I guess because fashion is transferrable!

Ddraig

I think that works for super furry beastkin but might be an issue for the more human-looking ones :blob_joy:

Yup! I'm interested in anything an everything (though I guess not super sci-fi)! I guess because fashion is transferrable!
Go to an image database site (like zerochan danbooru konachan etc) and search for something like ( tail looking_back ) to get clear view of how artists draw their tails with clothes. Maybe add a safe rating tag there too so you actually get char wearing normal clothes >.>
Most of the times the tail comes from there back, just above the butt (kinda location bit above the tailbone?) So your human clothes are worn normally and the tail is kinda on the jeans/skirt etc border and is thus coming out from above and then down there shirt/t-shirt etc

Another method is to have a hole for the tail just like you have hole for arms or legs....

Ddraig

Now now you never know, if goddess holo dislikes clothes it stands to reason that super human looking beastkins dont wear them!!

tak

May i suggest looking at Zootopia's design for accessories (earphone and stuff) and woeld building. They handle a building whoch suit different animal sizes quite well, especially in the train statiom scene.
Havent find any good clothing ref yet

tak

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
My personal opinion, traditional clothin seems good because it's mostly skirt so the tail is free. Greek clothing and saree are long cloth that you wrap around your body, so it seems like certain styles can accomodate extra limbs, tail, amd wings. Not gonna link the pics coz nipples
Thank you! I'll take a look at this after I get home from uni, but it seems really helpful!

Ddraig

Now that I think about it, I freaking want some wolfgirls in sarees! I never thought I needed something like this...

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Alright, going to update with some thoughts!

So long skirt/dress/saree/toga options are clearly straightforward so those are already a given.

In terms of pants, I actually felt like hakama-style pants might work, analagous to the double-tie sash and a similar back slit for the tail. The advantage is that it's basically easy to put on.

I have no idea how this is in terms of modesty so I wonder if a side wrap might actually work at the lower back.

Basically something like thai fisherman's pants, where note the extra fold comes from just having a lot of extra fabric that is folded over:

As for underwear, this was sufficiently discussed at one point on the novelupdates forum thread (see the post by Ai-chan but I won't repost).

---------------------

I also thought a little bit about sitting culture.

Some of the threads I read online mentioned that it might be a hassle for a beastkin to sit normally because of their tail, so I think culturally speaking it's probably reasonable if beastkin traditionally sat seiza (on knees). No more tail problems!

Last edited:

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
This post is help from Alea on disc.

RE: birdkin

backless clothes and halter necks! (there's a ton of examples on google so I won't post too many)

--------------

RE: horns

can't use round-cut shirts

Miserys_End

[Lv1 Pretend Person] Im the person I pretend to be
I would say it largely depends on the amount of hide, fur or scales they have. Clothes are mainly worn as protection from the elements or for modesty. If fur or scales covers the majority of the body or areas of importance, clothes become irrelevant. Otoh amount of armor for beastkins is normally based on culture and or availability.

As for my preference, I view most beastkin(in terms of clothing and armor) like I would any human. Though I would make allowances for any physical differences, I would still supply armor that fit their needs. Unless ofcourse their natural defenses are more resistant then materials available. Then they could just wear whatever they find comfortable.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Have you seen bikini panties? The ones where you tie the strings on the right side and left side? Imagine the same with beastgirl panties, except that there's a string on the back as well where they can tie the string on the back around the base of their tails.

Ai-chan would know, Ai-chan once cosplayed as Holo from Wolf & Spice. The tail was a buttplug because there was no way to keep the tail in position otherwise.

For panties, you wear either of these types

Of course Ai-chan is going to talk about panties. Someone has to do the dirty job. Bras should be the same as normal human ones. Unless it's a demi-heifer.

Last edited:

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
If it's fantasy setting, I'd suggest they go for hides. I mean, they're beastkin. Safe to assume they'd be good hunters. Like the cat people from Vision of Escaflowne (more the movie rather than the series). Leather, fur hides, etc.

Llamadragon

There is nnnnooooo way in hella heck a buttplug is the only way to keep a tail in place for a cosplay. There are specific kinds of underwear designed just for that purpose, that you attach the tail to... wtf....

Anyways... 2 words. Wrap pants: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-wrap-pants/
Just add an additional layer of fabric over the tail and it would be a pretty modest garment.

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
Take a look at Beastars or Zootopia. Better yet, play The Elder Scrolls to get a better understanding or Baldur's Gate