Beginner Writers Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 156316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 156316

Hello!

I am a recently new writer here (joined at March 14, 2024) at ScribbleHub (Forgive me for any grammar errors or spelling mistakes as English isn't my first language despite me speaking it often).

I have a question regarding the do's and dont's when writing a novel targeted at a specific audience. I am a casual writer myself who intends to write stories that are based on my characters I've made during 2020 till today.

My questions are:
• If your target audience are targeted towards children (for simplicity, let's say below 18), what should you not include in your novel? Example being graphic violence.
• How would you tackle or execute extreme or serious topics (i.e. Racism, War (not based on real world one obviously) and among other things) well without getting too controversial?
For context, my series/novel tackles stuff regarding the two I mentioned above and a few other things that I consider a "spoiler".

By the way, in case if anybody is curious, here's my novel: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/1029879/zasshu-empire-volume-/

Thanks! ❤️

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
If your main audience is YA or younger, then as long as you don't get too graphic there shouldn't be a problem. If you write for actual kids, though I guess you're kinda wrong here. There aren't as many kids around here as the forums make it look like :ROFLMAO:

For more serious problems I would apply the art of "show AND tell" instead of "show, don't tell". so you can lessen the impact it has on your story while still establishing that it's a serious problem.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Hello!

I am a recently new writer here (joined at March 14, 2024) at ScribbleHub (Forgive me for any grammar errors or spelling mistakes as English isn't my first language despite me speaking it often).

I have a question regarding the do's and dont's when writing a novel targeted at a specific audience. I am a casual writer myself who intends to write stories that are based on my characters I've made during 2020 till today.

My questions are:
• If your target audience are targeted towards children (for simplicity, let's say below 18), what should you not include in your novel? Example being graphic violence.
• How would you tackle or execute extreme or serious topics (i.e. Racism, War (not based on real world one obviously) and among other things) well without getting too controversial?
For context, my series/novel tackles stuff regarding the two I mentioned above and a few other things that I consider a "spoiler".

By the way, in case if anybody is curious, here's my novel: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/1029879/zasshu-empire-volume-/

Thanks! ❤️
It depend what you call children, if it's like what you write "below 18" than not children at all, and not using graphic violence or description for it can bother a lot of them if your novel is an actions one. (Think I'm wrong here? Do you know how many under 18 read/watch thing like Berserk, FMA, Parasyte, Shingeki no Kyojin, Claymore, Helsing, Jujutsu Kaizen, Goblin Slayer, etc)

Now if you write for kids under 10, that another thing, but there won't be any reading your novel here.

If your target audience aren't under 12, you shouldn't remove topics that you want to write about, don't take their age for their maturity, cause their a lot of them who can think when they read and being set in a different mood that in their daily life with their friends.

The only thing that should change depending of your targeted audience are the type of story you write. Actions, Slice of Life, Romance,Etc... For the action tag you can add Litrpg, fantasy, cultivation, system, etc

Generally, litrpg are what under 18 like the most these past few years when it come to action novel.

SailusGebel

(Think I'm wrong here? Do you know how many under 18 read/watch thing like Berserk, FMA, Parasyte, Shingeki no Kyojin, Claymore, Helsing, Jujutsu Kaizen, Goblin Slayer, etc)
TRUUUUUE!

D

Deleted member 156316

It depend what you call children, if it's like what you write "below 18" than not children at all, and not using graphic violence or description for it can bother a lot of them if your novel is an actions one. (Think I'm wrong here? Do you know how many under 18 read/watch thing like Berserk, FMA, Parasyte, Shingeki no Kyojin, Claymore, Helsing, Jujutsu Kaizen, Goblin Slayer, etc)

Now if you write for kids under 10, that another thing, but there won't be any reading your novel here.

If your target audience aren't under 12, you shouldn't remove topics that you want to write about, don't take their age for their maturity, cause their a lot of them who can think when they read and being set in a different mood that in their daily life with their friends.

The only thing that should change depending of your targeted audience are the type of story you write. Actions, Slice of Life, Romance,Etc... For the action tag you can add Litrpg, fantasy, cultivation, system, etc

Generally, litrpg are what under 18 like the most these past few years when it come to action novel.
It's kind of a vague term, but in my country. Below 18 is basically children or minors. I may have should've worded it as 'for minors', my bad 😅

Although I do agree most of the points here, alot of minors have better maturity or tolerance to these kinds of stuff than others. But will I'll try to keep them clean and fitting for my type of story genre.
If your main audience is YA or younger, then as long as you don't get too graphic there shouldn't be a problem. If you write for actual kids, though I guess you're kinda wrong here. There aren't as many kids around here as the forums make it look like :ROFLMAO:

For more serious problems I would apply the art of "show AND tell" instead of "show, don't tell". so you can lessen the impact it has on your story while still establishing that it's a serious problem.
Yes I will admit I used the word 'children' instead of the word 'minors', so I'm totally wrong. 😂😂😂

Putting that aside, genuine question, what's the difference between "show AND tell" and "show, don't tell"?

Yes I will admit I used 'children' instead of minors, so I'm totally wrong. 😂😂😂

Putting that aside, genuine question, what's the difference between "show AND tell" and "show, don't tell"?
Did I accidentally bug the chat? Why did I reply to two messages and made a duplicate?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's excellent advice for children's stories, I reckon. For adult fiction, it's crucial to reveal characters' personalities through their actions and conversations. With younger audiences, though, it might be too difficult for them to follow unless you outright state certain aspects occasionally, especially impactful events or facts in your story.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
Show, don't tell is essentially showing the character traits through action, or via indirect means. Show and tell is basically showing the trait, and telling the audience directly.
Ex:

Walking past the fishmonger, she ever so slightly cringed her nose, held her breath, and quickened her step, yet trying her best to look as unbothered as possible, as she turned the corner, pushing her half-full grocery cart down the aisle, away in a hurry.

Clearing the foul corner of the cramped market, she swiftly plucked a bag of flour and breadcrumbs, threw it into her growing cart, and headed for the freezer. Thankfully, poultry and seafood weren't in the same corner.
vs
Nearing the fishmonger, she could not help but throw her head to the side, hold her breath, and swiftly rush past him. Her cart was heavy with her weekly purchase already, yet, she hated the smell of dead-but-refrigerated fish so much that it was nothing to her.

"Chicken...Let's have chicken for tonight." She mumbled and reached for a package of wings, neatly packaged, and ready to fry. She does love a good wing.

D

Deleted member 156316

Show, don't tell is essentially showing the character traits through action, or via indirect means. Show and tell is basically showing the trait, and telling the audience directly.
Ex:

Walking past the fishmonger, she ever so slightly cringed her nose, held her breath, and quickened her step, yet trying her best to look as unbothered as possible, as she turned the corner, pushing her half-full grocery cart down the aisle, away in a hurry.

Clearing the foul corner of the cramped market, she swiftly plucked a bag of flour and breadcrumbs, threw it into her growing cart, and headed for the freezer. Thankfully, poultry and seafood weren't in the same corner.
vs
Nearing the fishmonger, she could not help but throw her head to the side, hold her breath, and swiftly rush past him. Her cart was heavy with her weekly purchase already, yet, she hated the smell of dead-but-refrigerated fish so much that it was nothing to her.

"Chicken...Let's have chicken for tonight." She mumbled and reached for a package of wings, neatly packaged, and ready to fry. She does love a good wing.
Ex:

vs

Ah, that makes sense. Keeping that in mind.

Edit: accidentally quoted twice, sorry

FebyA

Simplify stuff as much as needed.

1. For violence, think of marvel or superhero stories. The action scenes can include guns, explosions, anything. But when it comes to death or brutal scenes, don't even show it on screen. A sound of gunshot is enough. Describing the hole in their chest and how they vomit blood? That's too much.
  2. For serious topics like war, I would make everything cartoony and light. A boulder from catapult fall to the middle of the army? Have everyone fly due to the impact instead of getting squished and die. After the war, show the wounded partying or befriending enemies in bandages or something, but only tell about the death if necessary (like for emotional moments).

D

Deleted member 156316

Simplify stuff as much as needed.

1. For violence, think of marvel or superhero stories. The action scenes can include guns, explosions, anything. But when it comes to death or brutal scenes, don't even show it on screen. A sound of gunshot is enough. Describing the hole in their chest and how they vomit blood? That's too much.
  2. For serious topics like war, I would make everything cartoony and light. A boulder from catapult fall to the middle of the army? Have everyone fly due to the impact instead of getting squished and die. After the war, show the wounded partying or befriending enemies in bandages or something, but only tell about the death if necessary (like for emotional moments).
Noted.