Blacksmith Story Search/Idea?

LesserCodex

I'm not sure whether to put this into reader or author general, so I posted this here to gain interest.

[The search]

Does anyone know any good litrpg stories involving a male or female MC becoming a blacksmith? Preferably a no-harem story getting sick of those, some action and power progression, but no need to become OP from start to finish.

I'm not much into the whole kingdom-building thing, but if it's done well, then I don't mind. And no, Isekai. Though I say this, I'm sure they are bound to have the Isekai tag, like Chaotic Craftsman Worships the Cube or Runesmith, so I don't really mind.

I've read The Runesmith and dropped it a hundred chapters in, but I love the idea. Chaotic Craftsman Worships the Cube I've got it saved on my reading list, but I haven't started reading it yet. Anything else would be appreciated. I know there's a novel with an FMC getting like an advanced Smith class or something, but I can't remember the name, so if someone could recommend that and any other similar stories, then I'd be grateful. Now that the search is over,

[My idea]

"Fine, I'll do it myself" is what came to mind when I began searching.

I've got an idea to write a story like it myself, Male Mc, from weak to strong, no BS power-ups or cheats, just pure hard work and determination. I'm also looking for any interesting class advancement from the blacksmith class, like golem smith or armour smith. As I mentioned before, my preferences for these things are part of my idea. Oh yeah, and there's no Isekai in this idea of mine.

SailusGebel

[My idea]

I've got an idea to write a story like it myself, Male Mc, from weak to strong, no BS power-ups or cheats, just pure hard work and determination. I'm also looking for any interesting class advancement from the blacksmith class, like golem smith or armour smith. As I mentioned before, my preferences for these things are part of my idea. Oh yeah, and there's no Isekai in this idea of mine.
What's the point of writing this? You simply wanted to share, or you want some help?

expentio

Core.001 has in my opinion a great blacksmith arc (second arc). Also, the litrpg system for crafting is really great and with an interesting premise. The book is currently on hiatus though. But the author still todays says they're still working on it (for quite some years though). Still one of my favorite stories till today.

LesserCodex

Core.001 has in my opinion a great blacksmith arc (second arc). Also, the litrpg system for crafting is really great and with an interesting premise. The book is currently on hiatus though. But the author still todays says they're still working on it (for quite some years though). Still one of my favorite stories till today.
I'll give it a look.
I can't find it can you give me a link?

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
So... It's not exactly what you want, but maybe you might be interested in: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/frontiers-chronicles-of-bucket-sans-detailed-pioneering/

It's a VRMMO novel. MC is a Blacksmith and she quickly becomes one of the best blacksmiths in the game.

No OP MC stuff or whatever though. She is a top player, but not absurdly better than her peers.

There is very little in terms of action though. She spends most of her time crafting and talking to her friends... It's more of a Slice of Life novel.

The part I like is that the game felt way more realistic than what you'd usually expect from a VRMMO novel... It's not perfect, of course, but it certainly feels way more reasonable than most games you find in novels.

Oh, and the story has no romance on it whatsoever.

So uhn... Overall, it's not really what you asked for, but it's the closest thing I got, so I figured I'd recommend it.

LilRora

Mostly formless
I remember reading a few blacksmith stories, but unfortunately I can't remember the titles.

As for interesting class advancements, Concept Blacksmith or something of the sort. My idea is, if you're going to go with hard work and determination, give the mc a power to infuse his creations with his thoughts and concepts and ideas he/she focuses on. So the greater determination and dedication, the greater results can be achieved.

expentio

Ah, sorry. There's a break behind core.

LesserCodex

So... It's not exactly what you want, but maybe you might be interested in: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/frontiers-chronicles-of-bucket-sans-detailed-pioneering/

It's a VRMMO novel. MC is a Blacksmith and she quickly becomes one of the best blacksmiths in the game.

No OP MC stuff or whatever though. She is a top player, but not absurdly better than her peers.

There is very little in terms of action though. She spends most of her time crafting and talking to her friends... It's more of a Slice of Life novel.

The part I like is that the game felt way more realistic than what you'd usually expect from a VRMMO novel... It's not perfect, of course, but it certainly feels way more reasonable than most games you find in novels.

Oh, and the story has no romance on it whatsoever.

So uhn... Overall, it's not really what you asked for, but it's the closest thing I got, so I figured I'd recommend it.
I'll take a look, you never know what you'll like unless you try.
I remember reading a few blacksmith stories, but unfortunately I can't remember the titles.

As for interesting class advancements, Concept Blacksmith or something of the sort. My idea is, if you're going to go with hard work and determination, give the mc a power to infuse his creations with his thoughts and concepts and ideas he/she focuses on. So the greater determination and dedication, the greater results can be achieved.
Something like this did come to mind, which is why I'm on the fence about whether or not a will stat should be part of the system.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
take those with you on your quest for blacksmithing story:

Vertical axis is temperature for heating, and horizontal is carbon content

After heating steel, the speed of cooling determine the proportion of conversion of austenite to martensite, the hardest but brittle crystalline structure of iron. (This is before adding alloying elements)

The fantasy metal only needs as much heating as required if there are interesting micro cristal structure transformation.

Metal being too hot for too long will absorb air carbon or oxydize, which isn't ideal. That's why if you turn your steel into a hot soup, it automatically turns into 'cast-iron' which sucks (>2% carbon content). That's why people laugh when movies depict sword making directly from pouring liquid steel into a mold. Rather, the process of hammering should start from a lump of refined steel and slowly turn it into the desired shape while avoiding overheating.

Getting refined low carbon content iron is annoying, and it's probably the work of bloomeries rather than smiths.

Japanese folding technique alternate metal layers that are hard and brittle with layer soft and resilient, so composite properties emerge which enhance the whole. But folding too much homogeneize the whole stuff

Sometimes adding trace amount of a mystery material turn your steel into based alloy. Damascus steel is only famous because no one had any fucking idea which alloy element was put into the crucible

I think Vanadium and Titanium alloys show great temperature resistance and lightedness/hardness, and you don't need to empty the whole bag into the soup to turn your steel into cool alloy

SailusGebel

After heating steel, the speed of cooling determine the proportion of conversion of austenite to martensite, the hardest but brittle crystalline structure of iron. (This is before adding alloying elements)

The fantasy metal only needs as much heating as required if there are interesting micro cristal structure transformation.

Metal being too hot for too long will absorb air carbon or oxydize, which isn't ideal. That's why if you turn your steel into a hot soup, it automatically turns into 'cast-iron' which sucks (>2% carbon content). That's why people laugh when movies depict sword making directly from pouring liquid steel into a mold. Rather, the process of hammering should start from a lump of refined steel and slowly turn it into the desired shape while avoiding overheating.

Getting refined low carbon content iron is annoying, and it's probably the work of bloomeries rather than smiths.

Japanese folding technique alternate metal layers that are hard and brittle with layer soft and resilient, so composite properties emerge which enhance the whole. But folding too much homogeneize the whole stuff

Sometimes adding trace amount of a mystery material turn your steel into based alloy. Damascus steel is only famous because no one had any fucking idea which alloy element was put into the crucible

I think Vanadium and Titanium alloys show great temperature resistance and lightedness/hardness, and you don't need to empty the whole bag into the soup to turn your steel into cool alloy
Do you happen to have the same thing for boobies?

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades

Oh lord, I got some Nam flashbacks seeing them again. Used to memorize the F out of them the night before exam, y'all...

That's why people laugh when movies depict sword making directly from pouring liquid steel into a mold. Rather, the process of hammering should start from a lump of refined steel and slowly turn it into the desired shape while avoiding overheating.
Not only that, the process of Cold Hardening (Hammering shits into shape) also causes the orderly crystal lattice structure of the material to dislocate, thus, locking and entangling them so that deformation will be harder to achieve, thus hardening the material. Dislocation of the crystal structure helps with stopping the propagation of stress through the material. By letting a liquified metal cool to shape, the crystal structure of the material will naturally set and order itself into straight, orderly rows, where stress can easily propagate.

There is a reason why most bronze bladesmithings are through hammering into shape, and not by molding, for the desired hardness and durability.

Here is a good site to start if you wanna include material sciences into your crafting adventure!

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Oh lord, I got some Nam flashbacks seeing them again. Used to memorize the F out of them the night before exam, y'all...
gotta share the pain to the unsuspecting writers

fantasy crafting:
>travel
>find cool material
>make OP weapons
>get waifu
>travel harder

real crafting:
>buy steel from the guy next door
>yell at him about shitty quality
>beat lumps of steel all day
>sell your shitty scissors
>get yelled by customer because they suck
>get drunk at the bar to cope with the vacuous meaningless life
>go home
>beat wife all night
>repeat

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
real crafting:
>go home
>beat wife all night
>repeat
>Your village got a new lord
>Say a new lord wanted to build a castle on a nearby hill
>You are the only smith nearby
>He commissions you to make him tens of hundreds of nails, door hinges, braces, and tools for the construction
>The lord wants them to be delivered by the end of the month
>You have to look for a supplier of irons for the big project
>You have to talk to the lumberjack to arrange more firewood for the forge
>You have to look for an apprentice to help with the UNGODLY amount of work
>Your tool break during the job
>Make a new one
>Your dumbass apprentice did not cover the firewood, and it rained yesterday
>You take longer to finish the commission
>Your delivery was late
>The lord is angry
>He punished you
>You go to the local pub to drink away your sorrow

LesserCodex

Oh, I'm gonna love this. But I won't be using every single detail though I'll have to work on summarising the process so as to not bore people and bring in some pseudo science logic for the fantasy elements. Damn I need to look for a guide to smithing.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
I'm not sure whether to put this into reader or author general, so I posted this here to gain interest.

[The search]

Does anyone know any good litrpg stories involving a male or female MC becoming a blacksmith? Preferably a no-harem story getting sick of those, some action and power progression, but no need to become OP from start to finish.

I'm not much into the whole kingdom-building thing, but if it's done well, then I don't mind. And no, Isekai. Though I say this, I'm sure they are bound to have the Isekai tag, like Chaotic Craftsman Worships the Cube or Runesmith, so I don't really mind.

I've read The Runesmith and dropped it a hundred chapters in, but I love the idea. Chaotic Craftsman Worships the Cube I've got it saved on my reading list, but I haven't started reading it yet. Anything else would be appreciated. I know there's a novel with an FMC getting like an advanced Smith class or something, but I can't remember the name, so if someone could recommend that and any other similar stories, then I'd be grateful. Now that the search is over,

[My idea]

Overgeared
gotta share the pain to the unsuspecting writers

fantasy crafting:
>travel
>find cool material
>make OP weapons
>get waifu
>travel harder

real crafting:
>go home
>beat wife all night
>repeat
Your a menace lmao

sanitylimited

the blacksmith story i read is japanese protagonist harem story where he starts out as the best blacksmith. i dont recomend it....it has a manga

wait, i remember another one. something about blacksmith being the worst class because everyone gets blessed with a weapon, so to make the protagonist relavent to combat they made it sothat weapons that could harm the enemy where extremly rare...but the protagonist could mass produce them. it also has a mango. i also dont recomend it

Lodur

Eight virgin
Does anybody already mentioned
?
Good story, on hiatus most of the time recently. It's a pity.