Blunt Feedback Thread [Closed]

LiteraryWho

It's on Ritoria. Same name as here. It's pretty low effort and I make a lot of the mistakes I harp on people in this thread about, because it's low effort. You can look it up easily.

I'll bring it back here once I'm finished with it because I don't like seeing 1 star ratings when I'm in the middle of writing.
It's more of a "exercise story" than something I'm serious about though. My serious stuff won't be posted under Anon2021.
"My serious stuff won't be posted under Anon2021"

That's what I meant (I already cyber-stalked you and found the smut, obv :blob_wink:). Tbh, not terribly interested in smut, but I suspect your serious stuff will be/is pretty good.

edit: but, anyway, like I said, I won't push either way. You're keeping things separate for a reason, I'm sure.

Mr.Grey-Cat

Here is my novel and I am thankful for any feedback.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Here is my novel and I am thankful for any feedback.

Again this is my subjective feedback. I read to chapter 6 I believe.

What I Liked:
1. For the most part easy to understand
2. Even with grammar issues the next part can be seen.

What I don’t like:
1. You don’t have any long paragraphs which means very few concepts are going to be brought up in depth. I remember there were characters talking about some girl in a hospital and how poor her life is but without enough words to hammer that point and with everything spaced out the scene was ruined and ahas no weight.

2. Characters feel half-baked and one dimensional. You try to be fluffy and fun with the VR character building but there is a core component missing that makes a character Interesting which is motivation and complexity. You may have tried to establish motivation but it’s so benign that I couldn’t find it on the first read through.

3. honestly this kind of writing does well on SH and other webnovel sites because there are a lot of teenagers and young adults as well as English as a second language speakers who will enjoy this

Hell if I were younger I’d also probably enjoy this.
I am not your target audience. This writing and the characters to me are far too naive and the plot already appears as though it’ll be repetitive.

4. the reason I stopped at chapter 6 with the house. The narrator in first person makes this huge deal about the house to find rats or whatever. You spent a whole chapter writing about such a mundane task in first person and in riddles that don’t get to the point.

why would I invest time in a story where literally nothing important happens in a chapter then I have to wait for the next chapter to release? And if I spent another 5 minutes reading the next chapter is something going to happen then?

When I skimmed ahead there are some longer lines yea, but I feel like there are some people with lots of time on their hands who would enjoy your story, I’m just not one of them.

writing also is lower quality as far as prose, word choice and diction goes. Again, that’s great for people with English as a second language and those without a large vocabulary, for a native English speaker however I get bored of it because it takes more words to say one thing than if you used a word that can mean a lot of things.

Also repetitive words are boring unless it’s meant to hammer in a plot point and done intentionally but not overdone.

Again this is just my subjective opinion and feedback. Seems like you do have a following so don’t bother with what I write here unless you’re trying to appeal to a different audience from the one you already are.

Sairren

Finished editing my story a little while ago, so it's about as cleaned up as I can make it. Feel free to be as blunt as you like, but there's no smut in it. I'd say a fair amount of violence when it happens though. It is segmented into "parts" though because of how it was originally 30 chapters, and I just overwrote them with the new versions. Still the same length as before, just didn't want to delete the old versions because of the comments and polls that were put up.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Finished editing my story a little while ago, so it's about as cleaned up as I can make it. Feel free to be as blunt as you like, but there's no smut in it. I'd say a fair amount of violence when it happens though. It is segmented into "parts" though because of how it was originally 30 chapters, and I just overwrote them with the new versions. Still the same length as before, just didn't want to delete the old versions because of the comments and polls that were put up.

Alright:
The Good
1. Easy to understand paragraphs.
2. Story is more or less what people who like adventure stories want to read.
3. If you like Tessa's personality and a coming of age story this is up your alley.
4. Any complaints I have are going to be very subjective, because I can't find anything seriously wrong with what you've written.

The Not Good (Again this is purely subjective and based on my preferences as a reader, your current audience may not have these preferences)

1. For me the intro was just... I don't know how to say.. generic. I felt like I've read this same thing over and over again and nothing is really new. I get Tessa is supposed to be young girl there and supposed to be impressionable but it's a generic start in the sense that showing child hood admiration feels like a rather cheap way to give motivation. Also, the character isn't going to be a child for more than one chapter so it doesn't give me a lot of relevant information on who Tessa should be now.

Is she going to take after the healer or the warrior like hero who slayed the dragons? I mean, are there more than one or two types of heroes? This is just chapter 1 however, and doesn't really give the reader much to really invest in when it comes to characters, maybe a little investment when it comes to the world.

2. Chapter 2 is pretty generic... meeting a friend and going to school with no important dialogue that really gives us a feel for Tessa yet, but it at least gives us the idea that Elves play a role in human society somewhat. As for chapter 3 and the letter... I don't know.. it didn't sit well with me. I guess it could be a good way of giving information about how Tessa got along with her parents.

3. Introduction of Adventurers... I get it might be slow burning but I feel like the whole intro via scene is mundane and boring. The story is about Tessa wanting to be a hero but we're still not clear on how she plans to do it or even a more clear and present goal. As far as I'm concerned the plot doesn't even feel like it's even started. Does the reader need an entire scene to know the difference between adventurers? You could have just written one paragraph about Tessa thinking about the difference without the entire discussion.

4. Too much of a generic tone:
Excerpt from Chapter 8 is where I noticed this more and more.

Looking back on it, Tessa realized a very weird contradiction between the professor and the textbook’s author. While her professor praised the general, the author demonized him. The textbook would constantly glorify and embellish the giant melees between armies, but had labeled this general negatively. She’d have to find that old textbook again to get her facts straight. But perhaps because it was so effective, it weirdly felt similar to Torgrak’s described method with a boulder. Keeping risks to a minimum and winning regardless of glory or fame.
First, I'm going to commend you that this is clear and and understandable writing, but the tone is very generic. The voice doesn't seem unique, nor is it concise. Generally when we talk about tone, the easiest to make is a concise tone where the writer doesn't waste words and get to the point, the second way is to make a uniquely voiced narration tone that you the author would write.

Strength of a concise tone is that it will give the reader the information in the fewest words possible, but weakness is that it'll sound generic so if the information isn't interesting then I the reader will get bored.

Strength of a unique tone is that it can turn mundane details into fun to read paragraphs, but weakness is if I the reader don't like the tone I'll find it frustrating to read.

Many authors use a combination of both depending on what it is they're describing.

5. As for the characters I have to admit that I usually don't care for a female protagonist unless she has certain traits or a charisma that makes it interesting for me to read. Generic protagonists who don't say much, aren't charismatic and have 1 dimensional goals are only readable if I can self insert myself, and I can't do that with a female character. In order to gain my attention, the character will need to have certain traits or a defining feature that makes her interesting.

Generally speaking, she'll have to be a 3 dimensional character with complex thoughts and emotions if I'm going to read about Tessa, which I haven't been able to see up to chapter 9... part 1... which is where I have given up.

My basic complaint is that you're focusing a lot on world building and her training, as well as some side characters that you're hoping the reader finds interesting in the beginning.
----

Also, please understand that as a reader I'm very very particular over what I like to read and my dislike for your story or direction has nothing to do with the opinions of others. This is a blunt feed back thread, if the story has no problems in terms of grammar that are huge glaring flaws (which your story does not) then I will pick apart what I don't like and why I'm not continuing it.

It doesn't mean other readers won't like your story. There are lots of stories on SH that get into trending that I find incredibly boring.

Sairren

Alright:
The Good
1. Easy to understand paragraphs.
2. Story is more or less what people who like adventure stories want to read.
3. If you like Tessa's personality and a coming of age story this is up your alley.
4. Any complaints I have are going to be very subjective, because I can't find anything seriously wrong with what you've written.

The Not Good (Again this is purely subjective and based on my preferences as a reader, your current audience may not have these preferences)

1. For me the intro was just... I don't know how to say.. generic. I felt like I've read this same thing over and over again and nothing is really new. I get Tessa is supposed to be young girl there and supposed to be impressionable but it's a generic start in the sense that showing child hood admiration feels like a rather cheap way to give motivation. Also, the character isn't going to be a child for more than one chapter so it doesn't give me a lot of relevant information on who Tessa should be now.

Is she going to take after the healer or the warrior like hero who slayed the dragons? I mean, are there more than one or two types of heroes? This is just chapter 1 however, and doesn't really give the reader much to really invest in when it comes to characters, maybe a little investment when it comes to the world.

2. Chapter 2 is pretty generic... meeting a friend and going to school with no important dialogue that really gives us a feel for Tessa yet, but it at least gives us the idea that Elves play a role in human society somewhat. As for chapter 3 and the letter... I don't know.. it didn't sit well with me. I guess it could be a good way of giving information about how Tessa got along with her parents.

3. Introduction of Adventurers... I get it might be slow burning but I feel like the whole intro via scene is mundane and boring. The story is about Tessa wanting to be a hero but we're still not clear on how she plans to do it or even a more clear and present goal. As far as I'm concerned the plot doesn't even feel like it's even started. Does the reader need an entire scene to know the difference between adventurers? You could have just written one paragraph about Tessa thinking about the difference without the entire discussion.

4. Too much of a generic tone:
Excerpt from Chapter 8 is where I noticed this more and more.

First, I'm going to commend you that this is clear and and understandable writing, but the tone is very generic. The voice doesn't seem unique, nor is it concise. Generally when we talk about tone, the easiest to make is a concise tone where the writer doesn't waste words and get to the point, the second way is to make a uniquely voiced narration tone that you the author would write.

Strength of a concise tone is that it will give the reader the information in the fewest words possible, but weakness is that it'll sound generic so if the information isn't interesting then I the reader will get bored.

Strength of a unique tone is that it can turn mundane details into fun to read paragraphs, but weakness is if I the reader don't like the tone I'll find it frustrating to read.

Many authors use a combination of both depending on what it is they're describing.

5. As for the characters I have to admit that I usually don't care for a female protagonist unless she has certain traits or a charisma that makes it interesting for me to read. Generic protagonists who don't say much, aren't charismatic and have 1 dimensional goals are only readable if I can self insert myself, and I can't do that with a female character. In order to gain my attention, the character will need to have certain traits or a defining feature that makes her interesting.

Generally speaking, she'll have to be a 3 dimensional character with complex thoughts and emotions if I'm going to read about Tessa, which I haven't been able to see up to chapter 9... part 1... which is where I have given up.

My basic complaint is that you're focusing a lot on world building and her training, as well as some side characters that you're hoping the reader finds interesting in the beginning.
----

Also, please understand that as a reader I'm very very particular over what I like to read and my dislike for your story or direction has nothing to do with the opinions of others. This is a blunt feed back thread, if the story has no problems in terms of grammar that are huge glaring flaws (which your story does not) then I will pick apart what I don't like and why I'm not continuing it.

It doesn't mean other readers won't like your story. There are lots of stories on SH that get into trending that I find incredibly boring.
Fair enough. Though genuinely surprised you read though to around the half-way point. The feedback is appreciated though. o wo)b

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Fair enough. Though genuinely surprised you read though to around the half-way point. The feedback is appreciated though. o wo)b
I try to give everything a chance, unfortunately it's very rare I find a story I really like and want to read more of nowadays.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Hi! I desperately need some criticism as I don't know how well it's going for the readers for my new story!

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/524036/the-musician-and-the-orchestra/
So there are only 3 chapters and barely enough to get into it.

What I like:
1. Good spacing...

What I don't like (Subjective):
1. First of all there are only 3 chapters so whatever Impression I have on this is only from those chapters. I want to point out that I don't like Gender Benders, but I'm willing to read them if someone wants to know my thoughts. This is currently too short to form even a good subjective opinion, but alas I don't have a word count requirement.

2. Anyway, to get into it, a lot of your prose is boring. It feels like English is your second language. This isn't bad per say, because there are a lot of English as a second language readers on SH, but for someone like me who is a native English speaker, the way you write those words neither has a good tone nor is it fun to read. There is no voice, just a monotone narration that gives details in a non-concise manner.

Excerpt for Chapter 2 as an example.
Hours passed, and the sun dipped below the horizon. The crickets are now the highlights outside the cabin. Taruk still hasn't returned from his "errand," and that is making Saori concerned about him. What will happen if he isn't here to defend her from the wild animals from the ominous forest?

Even if I overlook the grammar which could be typos... this kind of descriptor doesn't give anything to the scene. It's a line that tries to sound descriptive without actually being descriptive. If this is copying something read at school, then it's written with a shallow understanding of classic english literature.
Second, there is no need for the narrator to ask a question.

Saori was standing around, unsure what to do next. She then went on to respect this body that she has occupied and wear the clothes that Taruk handed out, and placed her dirty uniform neatly on another table. Saori noticed that there was a small mirror on a table, and glimpsed a reflection of her face. The pointy ears that she has definitely said "elf".
Again a bunch of words describing the mundane and not giving out much information about Saori... I mean the person just changed genders and they're not freaking out about it at all. There is no flow of words that would make the mundane fun to read either.

This is an excerpt from chapter 1:
He threw away the two sticks at the nearby tree in fury. It only flew at a short distance, barely making it to the tree. The friction of the two sticks isn't enough to make a small fire. Maybe the wood is too wet, but it feels dry to Taishi.

His legs are aching from all the hours of walking, and it's already approaching darkness. Any small touch on his body would make him flinch in this dark forest, even a feather.
Like... the crossed out stuff is unneeded. The underlined words just feel damn lazy writing... The Bolded line just sounds weird to me as a native english speaker.

3. I don't have any connection with Saori. I think the weakness of Gender bender protagonists are that very few authors explore them dealing with the identity change. Now he's an elven woman... but there are no thoughts about being an elven woman. No thoughts about how she/he is going to plan to live their life from this point forward. There is no actual goal made after shifting sexes.

I guess you're not writing a smut, or something sexual... and that's the thing i don't get about Gender Bender stories. If your sex organs are changing then shouldn't sex therefore be more of a focus? There's so much to explore that people don't... but anyway I guess it's only 3 chapters in but all we got in terms of Saori/Taishi was that he/she plays a clarinet.

4. In Chapter 1 you didn't have to make him/her into someone so paranoid of dying. That's a lazy plot device in terms of making a character scared and repeating lines. It also makes it harder to identify or relate to someone because they're in a scared state. If you wanted to explore his/her thoughts about survival that might have gotten me to latch on more.
----
I'm glad it was short because I could read it quickly... you definitely have an audience for it on SH, but I'm not your target audience.

Jailbreak571

Former CEO of Kamazon. Active lurker

Here's mine I guess? I know I already have a problem with the world-building I just don't know where to put them exactly (though I guess that will be solved in chapter 9). I just want to find out what are the other problems in my novel. Honestly, I'm kinda scared to get reviewed by someone else but I guess I hammered up the last of my confidence to put this thing here lol.

Edit: I don't think I have any philosophers in this novel "yet" but I do have angry characters. Though I guess not enough for them to go berserk.

Last edited:

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
I closed my horrible reviews thread because it was mostly for fun and didn't mean much. I'm currently trying to do a lot of writing, but I feel that doing some reading in between will also help me continue forward. I'm going to come out of the "Anonymous" persona a bit and state my preferred genres and tropes which are: Philosophy, angry characters (doesn't have to be MC, but I love it when characters lose their mind and go berserk) and some comedy.

I actually don't care for Smut all that much unless it's done really well.

I will read any genre and give feedback. Thread will close when I have too many requests to fulfill and re-open when I've caught up and have time.

The Preferred Genres are so you don't expect me to 'love' your story if it's not the genre I like. I will be just as rude as the other guy, but honest.

Anyway, if you'd like me to give some feedback I'm going to be harsh about it as I think @SailusGebel is way more useful to writers trying to improve their craft than a lot of other feedback threads (no offense to others who have them). I'll read the story until I get bored of it before the feedback.

To apply for feedback please post a link to your story. If you don't mention PM I will post it in thread.
I will not post a review/rating on your story because I don't believe in the rating system (actually I can just give you whatever rating you want, but I prefer not to add to my reading list right now).

Authors To Catch up On:
None
Mind giving mine a look, I was desperate enough to ask Sailusgeibel for feedback, so I'd really appreciate it.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)

Here's mine I guess? I know I already have a problem with the world-building I just don't know where to put them exactly (though I guess that will be solved in chapter 9). I just want to find out what are the other problems in my novel. Honestly, I'm kinda scared to get reviewed by someone else but I guess I hammered up the last of my confidence to put this thing here lol.

Edit: I don't think I have any philosophers in this novel "yet" but I do have angry characters. Though I guess not enough for them to go berserk.
Okay.... before reading this please remember most of this is my subjective opinion and based on my own preferences. Just because I might rip apart what you're writing doesn't mean you're a bad writer. Writing is subjective... I also have very difficulty in finding anything that interests me. With that said. Here we go:

What I liked:
1. You have semi-good spelling and most words are spelt correctly.

Oh boy:
1. First of a all you use the most boring language to describe everything. I mean this is the most serious manner.
Her strength was unexpectedly strong. Although I could see her struggling, it didn't matter that much because since she is still winning in strength and is now putting more power into the sword.

I tried to release my aura to intimate her a bit and it kind of worked? Aura is like an intimidation technique but there isn't that much time to explain it all.
There are no tenseness in the scene. Why would you be asking yourself a calmly worded question in the middle of a fight?

Here is how I would do it:
The Rapier Wielding woman had signs of struggle on her face, but her strength in the sword continued to push her toward victory against me. To counter, I released an intimidating aura! The Aura caused a slight dent in her push as I tried to catch my breath.

If you want to write an action scene put the focus directly on the action. You don't need John to explain that Aura is an intimidation technique, after he says he released aura to intimidate... it's redundant. Actually a lot of your writing is redundant.

2. After getting past that chapter 3 is an info dump scene with dialogue and boring lines that have been heard so much. This might just be me having read so many isekai's but I'm tired as hell of the world being explained through dialogue.

3. Constantly mundane lines. Here is an excerpt from Chapter 5:

I then looked around to see anything that is out of place.

I am right now in a rainforest, st. Louise east rainforest to be exact.

All I could see here right now are trees, some animals, plants, and mountains, nothing unusual. But that didn't last long.
There has to be a more concise way to explain it while using more active language rather than a passive first person. If you want readers to be in the moment the use of "I" is passive. If you described the rain forest it would be more engaging to more people
Here's how I would do it:
I looked around to take in my current environment. I was in the rainforest. the St Louise East Rainforest. There were trees, animals, plants... mountains... the usual boring things in a rainforest.
Why add the word boring? If it's a first person stating something you need to give an insight to the thoughts and feelings, otherwise I feel like I'm reading a wooden board character.

4. I really don't like the POV switching. The constant switching between characters who all think and act the same internally. You do realize that people write in 3rd person because writing more than one character in the first person requires completely changing the way they word sentences internally right? It can still be written this way but every character should have a different way to look at the world. The way you've written it makes Xavier and John and Hela and everyone else sound like the EXACT SAME BORING PERSON WHO SAYS "I" TOO MUCH.

Anyway I gave up at the beginning of Chapter 7.
There might be readers who love your writing... but I couldn't continue with this.
-----
Also to note. You're probably a new writer. You shouldn't expect to be good at writing. People take decades to hone this craft while editing a story multiple times before publishing. You're trying to write one - three chapters a week, while being a relatively newer writer AND without the ability to go back and EDIT everything over and over that a more experienced writer would do.

The reason Webnovel quality is lower is because the author has to put out a chapter in intervals and the time it takes to edit is short. In general, the more time you put into writing something and editing it, the better it becomes.

It's a combination of multiple factors that often lead to the downfall of new authors and many give up because they don't realize how hard it is to write in a way that is both compelling and entertaining.

Last edited:

lost_cause

PM i have a frail hear so i mention the PM in the beginning.
Anyway , this is the story Cliche Story of a Mob Villain . I didn't knew why i wrote this ? It's mostly practice . Nothing philosophical at all.
Also I didn't wanted to give a sense of urgency right in the beginning. It will be there after 10 or so chapters. The story is mostly meant for tackling loses and defeats. So creating an impending doom or something right in the beginning i thought wouldn't make sense. And no this is not foreshadowing . If you don't like it because of this reason , then i shall admit my fault.

Last edited:

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Mind giving mine a look, I was desperate enough to ask Sailusgeibel for feedback, so I'd really appreciate it.
So I'm going to come out and say it first that I don't particularly like or read Gender Bender. Anyway, here it goes.

Like:
1. You've got a good sense of tone. The first chapter was mostly an introduction to the system but somehow it actually works and was clear. The tone saved the chapter.
2. There is moment to moment scene changes that work pretty well and it never stays on one topic for too long.
3. I like the way you use different colored texts to make it easier for the reader to understand. A lot of modern/internet writers forget that they have way more tools to organize a story than people in the past who used a quill and a paper. They couldn't bold easily back then.
4. Your prose and word flow is more advanced than the majority of other writers on SH.

Don't like:
1. As I said. I don't like GB all that much. It's also not until chapter 8 when they start talking about being genderless but regardless of that. It seems like Andrew doesn't mind being a girl at all. I suppose that's fine if he wants to concentrate on survival but there is no expansion on why/how him changing into a her is relevant to the story. I guess I could say the only reason I don't like most GB is because it often doesn't explore the difficulties of living as a different sex.

If you want to know of a GB I did actually enjoy there is a title called "This Little Girl is Wild" where a holy knight becomes a girl (and believed herself to be a girl even before the transition). It focused a lot on the identity of that knight and it was a focal point in how another character who was falling in love with her had to start accepting that fact... but it was dropped before season 2 -_-.

Like.. what's the point in having a GB if it's not a major plot point of the story. To me it's like the woke comic book characters who simply change a character's race... sexual orientation... or something else just to appeal to a group of people.

However, I must digress, it's only on chapter 8 and there is a lot of time to start adding his acceptance of being a female fairy.

2. When I was reading the first chapter, and also a few more subsequent chapters I began to question why you didn't just write it in first person. You keep putting in the character's thoughts in italics over and over. It got to a point where I was wondering why even keep the third person perspective? It's not like you've written the story so far in a way that a 3rd person perspective would be completely beneficial. In the 3rd person it's focused more on narration to get to know a character (at least it's what I notice when I read) but if you're going to put in the character's inner thoughts then why write in 3rd person?
----
Overall, there more to your story/writing that I did like over dislike. You've impressed me, I may or may not continue reading it.

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
So I'm going to come out and say it first that I don't particularly like or read Gender Bender. Anyway, here it goes.

Like:
1. You've got a good sense of tone. The first chapter was mostly an introduction to the system but somehow it actually works and was clear. The tone saved the chapter.
2. There is moment to moment scene changes that work pretty well and it never stays on one topic for too long.
3. I like the way you use different colored texts to make it easier for the reader to understand. A lot of modern/internet writers forget that they have way more tools to organize a story than people in the past who used a quill and a paper. They couldn't bold easily back then.
4. Your prose and word flow is more advanced than the majority of other writers on SH.

Don't like:
1. As I said. I don't like GB all that much. It's also not until chapter 8 when they start talking about being genderless but regardless of that. It seems like Andrew doesn't mind being a girl at all. I suppose that's fine if he wants to concentrate on survival but there is no expansion on why/how him changing into a her is relevant to the story. I guess I could say the only reason I don't like most GB is because it often doesn't explore the difficulties of living as a different sex.

If you want to know of a GB I did actually enjoy there is a title called "This Little Girl is Wild" where a holy knight becomes a girl (and believed herself to be a girl even before the transition). It focused a lot on the identity of that knight and it was a focal point in how another character who was falling in love with her had to start accepting that fact... but it was dropped before season 2 -_-.

Like.. what's the point in having a GB if it's not a major plot point of the story. To me it's like the woke comic book characters who simply change a character's race... sexual orientation... or something else just to appeal to a group of people.

However, I must digress, it's only on chapter 8 and there is a lot of time to start adding his acceptance of being a female fairy.

2. When I was reading the first chapter, and also a few more subsequent chapters I began to question why you didn't just write it in first person. You keep putting in the character's thoughts in italics over and over. It got to a point where I was wondering why even keep the third person perspective? It's not like you've written the story so far in a way that a 3rd person perspective would be completely beneficial. In the 3rd person it's focused more on narration to get to know a character (at least it's what I notice when I read) but if you're going to put in the character's inner thoughts then why write in 3rd person?
----
Overall, there more to your story/writing that I did like over dislike. You've impressed me, I may or may not continue reading it.
Most of your dislikes were explored in an argument between the main core and thread seven, also a lot of what I did in this story wouldn't have worked as well in third person.

The reason I chose third person was the versatility.

The very end of the first chapter hinted at the alteration of Andrew.
The conversation between thread seven and the main core further explores this.
It wasn't until after that conversation that I actually started giving Andrew emotional substance.
So yeah, the differences between form will be explored but will never be the story focus.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Most of your dislikes were explored in an argument between the main core and thread seven, also a lot of what I did in this story wouldn't have worked as well in third person.

The reason I chose third person was the versatility.

The very end of the first chapter hinted at the alteration of Andrew.
The conversation between thread seven and the main core further explores this.
It wasn't until after that conversation that I actually started giving Andrew emotional substance.
So yeah, the differences between form will be explored but will never be the story focus.
The Alteration was so subtle it nearly went unnoticed, I had to go back and read it again to see it once you mentioned it.
As far as it not being the focus of the story... it just makes me question why it has to be included.
I'm assuming you're referring to chapter 6 in the spoiler tag.

I guess I should add a third dislike:
3. All the threads and conversations happen too fast and casually to the point where too many details that are important are easy to miss.

As for perspectives, you could switch between perspectives as needed if you give a clear indicator so readers don't get confused... but it's annoying to read inner thoughts in third person for me.

Either way, carry on.

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
As far as it not being the focus of the story... it just makes me question why it has to be included.
In chapter one, Andrew asked why not a human and was told he was unlucky.

I spent a lot of practice on word flow, it seems to have worked too well.

Also, thank you for the feedback, it means a lot.

Jailbreak571

Former CEO of Kamazon. Active lurker
Thanks! Also, yeah, I'm a new writer and only doing this because I was bored as hell in my home so I tried writing for a change of pace. I could also see the problems with my stories now thanks to you, I'll try to edit them when the time comes when I'm actually better. Well, overall thanks!

sprlte

So there are only 3 chapters and barely enough to get into it.

What I like:
1. Good spacing...

What I don't like (Subjective):
1. First of all there are only 3 chapters so whatever Impression I have on this is only from those chapters. I want to point out that I don't like Gender Benders, but I'm willing to read them if someone wants to know my thoughts. This is currently too short to form even a good subjective opinion, but alas I don't have a word count requirement.

2. Anyway, to get into it, a lot of your prose is boring. It feels like English is your second language. This isn't bad per say, because there are a lot of English as a second language readers on SH, but for someone like me who is a native English speaker, the way you write those words neither has a good tone nor is it fun to read. There is no voice, just a monotone narration that gives details in a non-concise manner.

Excerpt for Chapter 2 as an example.

Even if I overlook the grammar which could be typos... this kind of descriptor doesn't give anything to the scene. It's a line that tries to sound descriptive without actually being descriptive. If this is copying something read at school, then it's written with a shallow understanding of classic english literature.
Second, there is no need for the narrator to ask a question.

Again a bunch of words describing the mundane and not giving out much information about Saori... I mean the person just changed genders and they're not freaking out about it at all. There is no flow of words that would make the mundane fun to read either.

This is an excerpt from chapter 1:

Like... the crossed out stuff is unneeded. The underlined words just feel damn lazy writing... The Bolded line just sounds weird to me as a native english speaker.

3. I don't have any connection with Saori. I think the weakness of Gender bender protagonists are that very few authors explore them dealing with the identity change. Now he's an elven woman... but there are no thoughts about being an elven woman. No thoughts about how she/he is going to plan to live their life from this point forward. There is no actual goal made after shifting sexes.

I guess you're not writing a smut, or something sexual... and that's the thing i don't get about Gender Bender stories. If your sex organs are changing then shouldn't sex therefore be more of a focus? There's so much to explore that people don't... but anyway I guess it's only 3 chapters in but all we got in terms of Saori/Taishi was that he/she plays a clarinet.

4. In Chapter 1 you didn't have to make him/her into someone so paranoid of dying. That's a lazy plot device in terms of making a character scared and repeating lines. It also makes it harder to identify or relate to someone because they're in a scared state. If you wanted to explore his/her thoughts about survival that might have gotten me to latch on more.
----
I'm glad it was short because I could read it quickly... you definitely have an audience for it on SH, but I'm not your target audience.
Wow! I didn't realize that! I highly appreciate your feedback!