Bullying in Fiction

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
You know someone was never bullied or went to school like in the 70s when the bullying is one of the two:
- Calling names, destroying personal property, or putting someone's head in the toilet.
- Straight up just beating them to death.

Bullying is much more nuanced, subtle, and goes inside and outside of school.
It can get extreme, but in most cases most people don't notice or just ignore as playful banter, especially the adults.

So umm... In conclusion.... Uhhhh... *Blows raspberry*

Enkiari

Isn't this also down to cultural differences?
If I recall correctly, bullying is different in the EU than it is in Asia - with Asia being the more vicious one, due to the more competitive nature of their society.
Not telling most stories doesn't lose nuance when depicting bullying but from my time in school... Yeah. Personal property was destroyed and people did get beat up for standing up for themselves.
Of course, there was more to it, but for a throwaway line, it works just fine.

That said, I have always found the way American comedies and teen movies depict bullying to be nonsensical for the most part. I think a lot of people take inspiration from those avenues as they are the more prevalent in Western culture.

Last edited:

Yule

Snowdrop
I sort of agree with the first part about people not really understanding the complexity of bullying if name-calling and beating is all an author can think of. I definitely disagree with bullying being described as nuanced, subtle, and going on inside/outside of school.

Bullying scenarios will vary case by case. Culture, gender, status, the victim's resilience, a lot of factors are considered, even by little kids. They're smart, they know what they can and can't do to safely continue their bullying behavior. There's no guarantee things will stay subtle.

No one can define bullying except for the victim of that specific case; if they're feeling seriously damaged in any way by the behavior of their peers or friends, then that's bullying. It really doesn't matter what form it takes, and trying to define what constitutes bullying without being the victim is pure arrogance.

With writing, a lot of authors may default to the descriptions you gave when it comes to bullying because those are easy descriptions for readers to understand. But a really good author should be able to take any damaging scenario, and tell their readers just how detrimental it is to the victim.

Arkus86

From my knowledge and experience, bullying is only ever subtle in front of the teachers or other figures of authority, or while the bully is testing the waters.

As for the rest, although I can't rule it out outright, I only ever heard of putting someone's head in the toilet in fiction, but physical violence can get pretty rough in extreme cases, destroying physical property, while not common, can happen if the bully can get away with it, and name calling is the basics of basics, even before pushing the target out of social circles.

RyenMC

In the Teen Titans Go! series, they keep bullying Robin and often treat him as if it were funny jokes.

dummycake

I sort of agree with the first part about people not really understanding the complexity of bullying if name-calling and beating is all an author can think of. I definitely disagree with bullying being described as nuanced, subtle, and going on inside/outside of school.

Bullying scenarios will vary case by case. Culture, gender, status, the victim's resilience, a lot of factors are considered, even by little kids. They're smart, they know what they can and can't do to safely continue their bullying behavior. There's no guarantee things will stay subtle.

No one can define bullying except for the victim of that specific case; if they're feeling seriously damaged in any way by the behavior of their peers or friends, then that's bullying. It really doesn't matter what form it takes, and trying to define what constitutes bullying without being the victim is pure arrogance.

With writing, a lot of authors may default to the descriptions you gave when it comes to bullying because those are easy descriptions for readers to understand. But a really good author should be able to take any damaging scenario, and tell their readers just how detrimental it is to the victim.
Thanks for that! I completely agree with you. Maybe I didn't put my words correctly?

I do understand that bullying can vary in different cultures, but I'm going with the thinking that 1. My culture is a little similar to the US, which dominates this website and the entertainment industry 2. We all have internet, which is something that I wanted to say when I said "inside and outside"

The internet is much more connected with the real life right now, especially with teenagers, and this is something that is not well explored, if at all, in school stories.

I am going with some biases in this "pet peeve", because the bullying that I experienced and saw people talking about in my circle, wasn't destroying a dream journal or putting a broom inside someone's asshole, which could be an interesting choice, but I can't see that happening in a high school with normal teenagers that haven't been affected by some curse that makes them all murderers or something.

That said, I have always found the way American comedies and teen movies depict bullying to be nonsensical for the most part. I think a lot of people take inspiration from those avenues as they are the more prevalent in Western culture.

Like Yule said, I think people default to that because it's easier to understand because most of us grew up with American movies that carried those tropes.

Indicterra

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed 🎶
As a former bully, I like to say it is always a joke, calling names, making them uncomfortable, it's always a joke, done for a moment of laughter.

I didn't knew how much it hurted them, fuck didn't even know what I was doing is wrong,
For me all of it was a joke back then, and thought everyone took it as it

Yule

Snowdrop
I am going with some biases in this "pet peeve", because the bullying that I experienced and saw people talking about in my circle, wasn't destroying a dream journal or putting a broom inside someone's asshole, which could be an interesting choice, but I can't see that happening in a high school with normal teenagers that haven't been affected by some curse that makes them all murderers or something.

And you're totally right, everyone's bound to have biases about controversial topics like bullying. I sometimes mistake my own opinions as facts until someone points it out too. Regarding the journal or broom bit though...these things do happen, and those teenagers definitely aren't murderers. I'm actually going to say they're the really smart ones that know how to get away with extreme behavior like that.

dummycake

I'm actually going to say they're the really smart ones that know how to get away with extreme behavior like that.
The dream journal is from SharkBoy & Lava Girl and the broom is from 13 Reasons Why, the broomist goes to prison and dies

doravg

136/4001 (finally counted the stories)
You know someone was never bullied or went to school like in the 70s when the bullying is one of the two:
- Calling names, destroying personal property, or putting someone's head in the toilet.

It can get extreme, but in most cases most people don't notice or just ignore as playful banter, especially the adults.

I was bullied in school. The worst that ever happened to me, was that one boy cut my hair. Then again, I am a girl, so he would have gotten expelled if he did anything more. The badmouthing I got was ignored.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I'm... confused.

I know "someone" was never bullied? Who is this someone?
Bullying on happens in the 70's? Or... the 70's was rather deadly? I don't recall many people being beaten to death in the 70's by bullies.

Yes. Okay... Your point?
Yes. People just ignore when a male gets bullied because if a male is weak, people have no respect for that male and just write him off. If a female is PHYSICALLY bullied, people care, but if it's female on female reputation destruction, nobody cares and it's survival of the fittest.
I have no idea what your conclusion is, or your point. Is there something going on? I'm worried because a disjointed post like this is usually got some sort of deeper meaning. You okay?

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
From my knowledge and experience, bullying is only ever subtle in front of the teachers or other figures of authority, or while the bully is testing the waters.
it is always a joke, calling names, making them uncomfortable, it's always a joke, done for a moment of laughter.
Firstly, it has always been this way, only that the internet has made it worse.
The web and social media have given new tools to perpetrate the persecution of an individual. Secondly, as others have already said, bullying starts subtly as a game, "make fun of", a mild teasing. Just a game.
They are testing the waters. If they find softness on the other side, they will push further and further. There is no limit. There is no worse.
There is no limit to the humiliation, pain or terror.

If one is not strong enough, to avoid it, one must learn not to be a target, not to stand out, to create influential friendships or even be among the bullies themselves.
Introversion, maladjustment, and isolation are the worst characteristics one can have.
The prey that survive well in nature are those that are able to camouflage themselves.

TheEldritchGod

As a former bully, I like to say it is always a joke, calling names, making them uncomfortable, it's always a joke, done for a moment of laughter.

I didn't knew how much it hurted them, fuck didn't even know what I was doing is wrong,
For me all of it was a joke back then, and thought everyone took it as it
I had the shit beat out of me about once a week, on average. Sometimes more, sometimes it'd go a few weeks without a beating. About 10 years. in 11th grade, they didn't beat me as much, but they like to play games like spitting on me, and I had to keep score and tell them at the end of the day who won. In 12th grade, most of them graduated, so it was only 3 on 1. I beat the ever-living shit out of them. that summer, when they came back from college, Brian Place took a baseball bat and six of his friends to beat me into a coma.

He was the son of the town sheriff, so I was told I was lucky they weren't pressing charges against ME.

I used to be quite the artist, but after that last beating, I can't draw a straight line anymore. My hand trembles too much.

Met one of the kids who beat the crap out of me about 20 years later out of the blue. He started talking to me about the "good old days". When I told him he and his friends left me for dead, he said he thought I was faking. He didn't know I was in a coma for a day and a half. He didn't remember the baseball bat, and he thought it was all "just boys being boys".

Yes. The bully often thinks it's all a joke.

The funny thing is, he never said he was sorry, even after I told him exactly what happened. He just mumbled a lot, made an excuse, and left. Not that I expect an apology. Bullies don't do that. Even if they figure it out later, they just kinda push it out of their mind and move on. People like to remember the good things and forget the bad. Honestly, it's been over 35 years. I think Brian dropped dead at age 40. Can't remember any of the others, so the chances are they are just like what's his face and pushed it out of their minds before moving on with their lives.

Oh, don't feel too bad for me.
After I went to college, I took all that rage and became a bill collector and worked for several banks over the years. I made it my life's mission to make people feel just as bad as I did. I assure you, I ruined FAR MORE LIVES than Brian and his posse ever did. I made it my life's mission to torture people, and getting paid a commission for it was just icing on the cake.

Being a bully and torturing people was fun. Nobody cares about the weak and we are all alone in this world. Either give up and die where you fall, or get up and be even stronger than the ones that tortured you. That's what Brian taught me. I was better at it than anyone else. Oh, I was very good. I got stories for days I could share about the ways I made people suffer, all without breaking the law. That made it so much more fun. having limits just made I like a video game set on hard mode.

Eventually, I realized I was evil and stopped, but not before I spent about 15 years ruining people's lives, costing them their homes, cars, jobs, money, and defiling one guy's mother's grave (that last one is a funny story, let me tell you). After all, being unable to make friends or relate to people made it hard to have any empathy for other people. I mean, nobody cared when I got the shit beat out of me. Not the teachers, not my fellow students, nobody. I just figured that's the way the world was. I wasn't a bully.

I was just ahead of the curve.

I guess I'm curious.
So, @Indicterra, What do you think the person you bullied learned from you?

dummycake

The prey that survive well in nature are those that are able to camouflage themselves.
isn't so sad that you're literally talking about a place where we teach our youth? you're comparing the jungle to a school.
I have no idea what your conclusion is, or your point. Is there something going on? I'm worried because a disjointed post like this is usually got some sort of deeper meaning. You okay?
I don't really have a conclusion...
And the someone is the writer and the 70s is exaggeration.
"You know the writer was never bullied or isn't in touch with society if he writes like this..." is what I meant

TheEldritchGod

isn't so sad that you're literally talking about a place where we teach our youth? you're comparing the jungle to a school.
A jungle would be better than most public schools.

I don't really have a conclusion...
And the someone is the writer and the 70s is exaggeration.
"You know the writer was never bullied or isn't in touch with society if he writes like this..." is what I meant
Ah. That makes more sense.

MatchaChocolate69

Edible Bittersweet Edgelord, Rebel against Entropy
That's life.

I've been up and down and over and out
And I know one thing
Each time I find myself layin' flat on my face
I just pick myself up and get back in the race

That's life

Garon

as someone who has experience with bullying. People often made fun of me and whispered about me in low voices. They often made fun of me and put me in situations that I understood for the sake of jokes. The reason for this is simple. I have a small part of autism. And after the experience with this, it was even worse for me to socialize. In other stories, bullying is shown openly. But this type of bullying, in my opinion, is the most effective. A bully doesn’t have to do this openly, it’s enough for him to team up with someone and make fun of his every action.

Sorry I remembered school, not the most pleasant memories. As a result, there are many videos and documentaries about this. It will be easy for you to find material for yourself.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Bullying can get pretty intense, not as violently as it's portrayed in movies but more emotionally. From middle school to my sophomore year in high school, I got bullied. From my experience, it could get physical: luckily it wasn't too bad most of the time. Most of it consisted of being pushed around. Middle school was like this, more physical.

In high school, it got more subtle and pernicious. The physical violence got deemphasized, but it started to involve more than one bully. Freshman year wasn't too bad, still got physical, but it involved two bullies. By sophomore year, it involved four bullies. They'd never do anything while the teacher was there; they only did it when the teacher wasn't there. Sometimes they'd call me faggot or the N-word, but I shrugged off the name calling. It was the physical stuff, I don't mean violent, but like sexual harassment stuff. They'd touch my arm, blow kisses at me, touch my ass, my waist, whatever. Basically, they'd pretend to be gay just to mess with me. It's disgusting.

Satansoul

useless member
Your schools look very scary. The most severe bullying I saw during my studies was pouring water in clothes and that was a small amount of water.
But I was in an all-boys school and I feel that bullying happens less in schools like this. However, instead, half of us are becoming gay.:sweating_profusely: