Calling all Authors for... the Author Write Off!

TheDerpieGod

A Well-Known Daddy.
I had a dream. Simply fell asleep on the couch and watched greatness be birthed within my own mind. Writing: A skill that's developed throughout your life, mainly through the like of school essays. But since you have taken the time to dedicate yourself to writing on this site or others, you have officially become, an author. SO within my dream, the thought of an author, the author of authors (at least on an amateur level) to be proclaimed on this site.

There is only one way to execute this, a contest. But not any contest, not like the one SH already hosts, oh no. Something unique, something...new. Maybe like... Authors shall be given a topic, any topic really. They should be pitted against each other but with the choice to nominate who they want to battle against. If the said person accepts, they shall be given a topic and shall write a short story about said topic.

Whatever author enters the contest and does not pick/person they pick does not accept, they shall be entered into a randomized raffle and will receive their randomized opponents. All in all, this would be cool. Of course I know no one really wants to randomly start writing about a topic they have no control over but I just dreamt about this and thought it would be cool.

Askun

This is interesting. It would be challenging too... I am just imagine I get BL topic. It would be unpleasant for me to write it. But I can imagine a few scenario by imitating romance genre and modified a bit. It might not be the same as the usual BL people enjoy, but I am sure it would work.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I wouldn't mind joining this competition. How long would each section be and how long would the competition last? What are the rules and what is used to measure who wins?

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I like the idea in theory, but that sounds like a lot of writing time taken away from my main story, so maybe limit it to short one-shots? To make it more accessible to those with little time.

Also, why go through the hassle of face-offs? My suggestion would be that you create a forum post with a topic and a deadline (maybe one week?), and let everyone DM the link to their stories. After the deadline, create a new post with the topic+all stories written, and a poll for readers to vote.

Repeat this a few times with elimination (like authors with less than X votes are eliminated), and you have a competition that is not too hard to organize.

Vladarius

Tis but a scratch. Tis but a flesh wound.
Hmm, maybe you should have taken a bit more time in organizing all of your thoughts, and making some basic ground rules of the contest. Maybe create a temporary discord server or chat group for easier categorization of people and challenges.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I had a dream. Simply fell asleep on the couch and watched greatness be birthed within my own mind. Writing: A skill that's developed throughout your life, mainly through the like of school essays. But since you have taken the time to dedicate yourself to writing on this site or others, you have officially become, an author. SO within my dream, the thought of an author, the author of authors (at least on an amateur level) to be proclaimed on this site.

There is only one way to execute this, a contest. But not any contest, not like the one SH already hosts, oh no. Something unique, something...new. Maybe like... Authors shall be given a topic, any topic really. They should be pitted against each other but with the choice to nominate who they want to battle against. If the said person accepts, they shall be given a topic and shall write a short story about said topic.

Whatever author enters the contest and does not pick/person they pick does not accept, they shall be entered into a randomized raffle and will receive their randomized opponents. All in all, this would be cool. Of course I know no one really wants to randomly start writing about a topic they have no control over but I just dreamt about this and thought it would be cool.
So a tournament…

TheDerpieGod

A Well-Known Daddy.
Author tournament arc is finally upon us! :blob_thor:
Two go in, one comes out.
I like the idea in theory, but that sounds like a lot of writing time taken away from my main story, so maybe limit it to short one-shots? To make it more accessible to those with little time.

Also, why go through the hassle of face-offs? My suggestion would be that you create a forum post with a topic and a deadline (maybe one week?), and let everyone DM the link to their stories. After the deadline, create a new post with the topic+all stories written, and a poll for readers to vote.

Repeat this a few times with elimination (like authors with less than X votes are eliminated), and you have a competition that is not too hard to organize.
That actually seems doable, but i really like the face-offs. Think it makes it unique.

Psycholor

Writing Trash
SeenIt.png

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
I mean, I guess it just depends on how long the stories should be. If I'm meant to write a whole book, I'm out. I'm already writing and editing 2k words every day while simultaneously having to write multiple essays in my AP English class. If it's a short story with a max of 5k words, I can do that. Heck, there are already contests like that out there.

TheDerpieGod

A Well-Known Daddy.
I wouldn't mind joining this competition. How long would each section be and how long would the competition last? What are the rules and what is used to measure who wins?
1. Each section would be about 4 days long, modified if something comes up on one of the author's side.
2. The competition could either go on until we reach a winner, but for time's sake I'm thinking around a month.
3. Rules would just be the normal stuff, no trolling, no plagiarism, proper grammar and punctuation and overall just be a good sportsman and take it (kind of) seriously.
4. And of course, who wins would be by process of elimination decided by the readers. I'm thinking of it like a sports tournament where the winning team moves on to the next round with the winner of the lower bracket moving up to meet them, y'know?
I mean, I guess it just depends on how long the stories should be. If I'm meant to write a whole book, I'm out. I'm already writing and editing 2k words every day while simultaneously having to write multiple essays in my AP English class. If it's a short story with a max of 5k words, I can do that. Heck, there are already contests like that out there.
Yeah just 5k words, 10k if you want too. Its short stories

Amok

grblbrbl
running it flash-style(about 650-1000 words) might work for a test run

TheDerpieGod

A Well-Known Daddy.
running it flash-style(about 650-1000 words) might work for a test run
I mean yeah. I'm not an admin and I don't do stuff like this so I would probably need to test it somehow.
This is interesting. It would be challenging too... I am just imagine I get BL topic. It would be unpleasant for me to write it. But I can imagine a few scenario by imitating romance genre and modified a bit. It might not be the same as the usual BL people enjoy, but I am sure it would work.
:whistle: why is it unpleasant for you to write bl?

Last edited:

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I mean yeah. I'm not an admin and I don't do stuff like this so I would probably need to test it somehow.
Honestly my advice would be to just try it. If you have the time, it does little good to just talk about it.

Open a new forum post where you explain the rules and deadlines clearly, then announce a signing up period.

Let those interested DM you with their intended partners if they have one, and ask them to contact said opponent.

Make an excel list of all the participants, and by the end of the sign-up period, pair those who have not successfully contacted their wished opponent together randomly.

Send everyone their topic (it can be the same for everyone, or you can let them decide it between themselves too), as well as the deadline. Ask them to give you the links to their stories before the deadline.

After the deadline is passed, make a new forum post sharing all the story liks + a poll for readers to vote on the winner (a multiple option poll where you put each author would work, but you might also want to use an external website to make it simpler).

Have a set time for readers to read and vote, after which you eliminate the losing writers, randomize the pairings again and send the authors their new topics.

Repeat until only one author remains.

Askun

:whistle: why is it unpleasant for you to write bl?
I am a guy... and I am straight. But more importantly, I always put myself into my own character. Is do able, but it will make me uncomfortable. But that doesn't mean I will not try it. Ever since I start writing, I have always one to create a story in each genre. Even if is a short story. The main reason is, that I have bad blood with BL novel. I read one novel once without knowing it is BL. I really thought the MC, is a female... Turn out is just a femboy.

TheDerpieGod

A Well-Known Daddy.
I am a guy... and I am straight. But more importantly, I always put myself into my own character. Is do able, but it will make me uncomfortable. But that doesn't mean I will not try it. Ever since I start writing, I have always one to create a story in each genre. Even if is a short story. The main reason is, that I have bad blood with BL novel. I read one novel once without knowing it is BL. I really thought the MC, is a female... Turn out is just a femboy.
lol, i laugh at your pain.
I was just thinking: 'yeah you probably know how to count words' XD Eh I'm tired.
Drink coffee
Honestly my advice would be to just try it. If you have the time, it does little good to just talk about it.

Open a new forum post where you explain the rules and deadlines clearly, then announce a signing up period.

Let those interested DM you with their intended partners if they have one, and ask them to contact said opponent.

Make an excel list of all the participants, and by the end of the sign-up period, pair those who have not successfully contacted their wished opponent together randomly.

Send everyone their topic (it can be the same for everyone, or you can let them decide it between themselves too), as well as the deadline. Ask them to give you the links to their stories before the deadline.

After the deadline is passed, make a new forum post sharing all the story liks + a poll for readers to vote on the winner (a multiple option poll where you put each author would work, but you might also want to use an external website to make it simpler).

Have a set time for readers to read and vote, after which you eliminate the losing writers, randomize the pairings again and send the authors their new topics.

Repeat until only one author remains.
y'know what? I'll do it sunday (or maybe tmrrw idk)

Last edited: