Can You Ride The Wave

Mr.Grey-Cat

hey, you know how sometimes the story of a novel just keeps changing slowly, as if the gentle waves of the sea, well I just wanted to ask how readers feel when that wave suddenly becomes a tsunami...

for example, sometimes when you are reading, you can feel the story slowly change through multiple chapters, but they're also times, when just in a single paragraph you feel the whole of the novel make a sudden shift to a new direction, or maybe just advance the plot by a huge magnitude, and so...

how do you feel when that happens? and can you actually predict when it happen? can you feel the wave when reading a novel? or do you just blindly read, until you suddenly find yourself in a totally new novel?

gogo7966

banishing a light and a dark. she/her
i can't swim so i am just drowning

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
It depends on what the shift is and how it was executed. For example, if a key element in the novel was suddenly changed due to the characters finding out something that alters the rules of the world the novel is set in then it can be called bad writing. However, it can be done well but is very difficult to do so. If it was something simple like a MC getting killed off and the entire point of view shifts then it can be really good. That said, it can also be poorly executed and ruin the whole story. It all depends on how the writer explains it and executes it. That's at least my thoughts on it.

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
There are heavenly novels where I can feel every atom of the wave and then there is abysmal trash where nothing makes sense or everything is too predictable.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
it happened often and when it does, i usually just drop the series altogether

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I felt it when writing Chapter 40 of my story. I never really planned to have magic in it, but then it just kinda happened, and here we are!