Can your "rights" impose on others? [Poll]

Can "Rights" impose on others?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Succubiome

In fact, I do not believe there is a thing called "inherent" right.
Agreed-- rights are an invention of humans.

I think rights are a pretty cool concept and we should have them, but there's no inherent rights, absolutely.

"Rights" is not something I typically think about. I am generally more focused on what people should or should not be doing.

Morals. The actually important stuff.

Rights are legal definitions, as posted above. Laws and rights are all based on morals of a society.

Everything flows down from beliefs. Religion, some might say. Religion is what dictates morals, laws, and government.
I don't think all beliefs are synonymous with religion, but other than that, agreed.

I can talk to other humans, and convince them of my beliefs.

I can use force on other humans or nature and bend it to my will, just as other humans can do unto me (so act wisely, or live a short life).

I can believe what I want to believe.

I can perform actions that are within my power to perform.

I am a sovereign soul, with the ability to self determination.

Should others attsmpt to change my path, I can agree, but they can never force me.
That's just power.

People can absolutely force you to change your path or die, if they're more powerful than you. Now, you don't have to actually do so, sure-- but the living in any area will inevitably end up only including those who can force others to change their paths, those who go along with it, and those who can go under the radar of those with power and not get caught breaking the laws of the powerful.

Stealing the Goose from the common was written in the 1600s. A time before the US and when individuals didn't have property rights, only lords did.

Furthermore. In a country with property rights, the issues the poem brings up were solved. Food is no longer a scarcity.

To argue low quality food is now the issue is to neglect the spirit of the poem. These people ate unclean geese and wheat. Not a diverse or healthy diet, a peasants diet. They were malnourished and starving. They literally were were starving through winters and losing children.
I wouldn't have brought up low quality food off the poem itself, but you brought up obesity as being the main problem, for some reason-- which I don't agree is the biggest problem, but it is because of low quality food and sedentary lifestyles, which are caused in turn by the economic conditions brought about by the ownership of the majority of property by the few.

In the US, there's still an "upper class" who controls the vast majority of property, the "middle class" who owns a little of their own, and a "lower class" who owns little to nothing, or may even have more debt than assets. The rich are not called lords, but the lopsidedness of property rights has not changed for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.