Chinese literature: Hair Chewing/biting

Yamemai

I was reading a Chinese comic, I am the Fated Villain, and noticed one of the female casts biting/chewing her hair to show vexation. Was curious, so tried looking it up, but didn't really get anywhere. -- May have noticed it in other Chinese comics too.

Thus, could anyone explain what this is about? Like how did artists/authors/whatever decide that was to go to action for this representation?

Mellohwa

Magic 8-ball they say
She's so vexed so annoyed so angy so irritated that she wants to bite, chew, rippe something but she doesn't want to have a reputation as a feral doggo... same as when you're nervous you chew your nails? :blob_hmm_two:

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I don’t think that is a Chinese thing. I also knew a girl she chewed on her hair. It was the same to her like chewing on the end of a pencil, doing it without thinking about it.

Trichophagia is real.

Last edited:

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I was reading a Chinese comic, I am the Fated Villain, and noticed one of the female casts biting/chewing her hair to show vexation. Was curious, so tried looking it up, but didn't really get anywhere. -- May have noticed it in other Chinese comics too.

Thus, could anyone explain what this is about? Like how did artists/authors/whatever decide that was to go to action for this representation?
You know how people bite their nails. It’s basically that

In really old-school Chinese dramas I've seen, female characters would hold things in their mouth to show their frustration. It could be their own hair, a stalk of flower, her handkerchief, etc.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I bite the skins off of the tip of my fingers.

So yes, tearing yourself apart out of stress and frustration is real.

There was a news about a girl who ate her hair and ended up in a hospital to remove the big hairball.

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

That remindes me of an old JP music video about a girl who wanted to eat everything and she like ate herself at the end when she ate all she could.

Jemini

Biting things is a common autism behavior, and people on the autism spectrum with long hair (typically girls) who have this behavior will usually consider their hair one of the targets for chewing.

Another feature of the autism spectrum is that all of these little behaviors like biting become something of a self-soothing behavior similar to the self-soothing that a baby will engage in. As such, these behaviors become more common when the person is agitated.

The rate of autism in the population is incredibly high if you include the mild cases, what used to be known as "Aspergers syndrome" before the DSM 5 declassified Aspergers and rolled it into the high-functioning end of the autism spectrum. This increased the rate of autism diagnosieses in the general community from 2% to something closer to 5% of the population. In other words, 1 in 20 people you encounter on your day-to-day are likely to be on the very high-functioning end of the autism spectrum and have autism behaviors like biting. (If you see someone with the back of their pen gnawed to pieces, this is likely a case of autism behaviors)

With such autism behaviors being so common in the community to the point of being normalized, even people who don't know the autism connection will be likely to portray them in writing. Although, in the cases of a writer who doesn't fully understand autism, they are likely to make mistakes in the portrayal. This hair biting thing here would be one such example. It's not something a person would do in the middle of an argument or such unless they are to the point the DSM 4 would have categorized them as autistic. If they are at the level where the DSM 4 would have called it Aspergers, then the hair biting would occur after the argument or event while they are not actively engaged in a public manner.

D

Deleted member 54065

I don’t think that is a chinese thing. I also knew a girl he chewed on her hair. It was the same to her like chewing on the end of a pencil, doing it without thinking about it.

Trichophagia is real.
My sister does this whenever she's stressed before.

I'm from the Hellhole of Southeast Asia, the Feellippines.

Dieter

the Writer
Hair-Chewing/Biting a more extreme expression of Gritting Teeth or Biting Nails
EZiJebRVcAAAu32 - Copy.jpg

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
In really old-school Chinese dramas I've seen, female characters would hold things in their mouth to show their frustration. It could be their own hair, a stalk of flower, her handkerchief, etc.
Yeah it can be a visual device to convey and express things to the audience.

For comics, that could be a visual comedy.
For movies, that could be to avoid to explicitly relay emotions with explicit thoughts that would sound unconvincing.
For books, it'd be a show, don't tell thing, and to anchor the female character in specificity. Like how some writers would describe in detail how a character is stiffening, eyes popped open and screaming than just telling the character is terrorized.

Chewing hair is likely a quirk that the author just decided for that female character. And as other pointed out, chewing stuff is a common soothing habit, so it's not totally unconvincing.

Since quirks are irrational, there's no need for author to think hard on justifications. But it's preferable to choose quirks that are related to personality, history or theme. For instance, a character could fiddle an old injury when nervous (like perceived as a source of shame/vulnerability while implying a rich background story)

Last edited:

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
it's like a sign of frustration or madness that someone with long hair is so preoccupied with something that they ignore the fact that they are tasting their own hair.
there's a similar version where they're biting their thumb/fingers until they draw blood

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
That TV show that Disparu makes fun of? I heard it was terrible.
AYE - the TV show is a crock o shite. The books though, much better. But there's a tonne of braid-chewing by one character, it's a bit of a running joke

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
AYE - the TV show is a crock o shite. The books though, much better. But there's a tonne of braid-chewing by one character, it's a bit of a running joke
Watch Disparu's reviews on YouTube. He's hysterical. Almost as good as little platoon and MauLer. Watching these guys make fun of bad TV is amazing.