Comments Encouraging Comments

queenofthefuzzybugs

I started a story a while back and got into the habit of commenting on my own chapters. I could have used an author's note but I didn't want to disrupt the flow of the story and I had a lot of stuff to say. Sometimes I just wanted to rant. (Yes, I wanted to rant at my own writing, lol.) I initially did this to give my readers a heads up about some things (basically, if I say it first you can't complain about it later) and for my own self-satisfaction.

What surprised me was how often leaving a comment on my own story resulted in READERS leaving comments too. Basically, by talking to myself I unexpectedly got to dialog with the readers in the process. This story has far more comments from readers than any other story I've posted, and I believe it's almost entirely due to the random comments I leave at the end of chapters.

Has anyone else tried this and found it worked for you too? If it's worked for others, I thought this might be a useful tip for people who want to encourage their readers to dialog with them.

PS: The irony of this post is not lost on me, in case you're wondering.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Thanks for the tip! I might have to try that :)

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes~!