• Maybe

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • F*ck webnovel

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
So I received a message that Webnovel wants my book to be contracted. And I'm not sure about that, I just want to ask about your opinions. And will they force me to delete my story here in scribblehub if I accept it? Cause if that happen I won't sign it and goodbye contract.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
So I received a message that Webnovel wants my book to be contracted. And I'm not sure about that, I just want to ask about your opinions. And will they force me to delete my story here in scribblehub if I accept it? Cause if that happen I won't sign it and goodbye contract.
:blob_reach: Regardless of how you decide, be careful what you sign.

Devils.Advocate

An objectionable existence
ask what the terms are.

Understand the clauses in the contract and weight the cost vs benefits. and evaluate the the repercussion of breaching the contract, check what your obligations are and your entitlements.

thoroughly understand what you would be signing before signing or rejecting it.

LostLibrarian

It depends on a lot of things. Take a look at the contract and the numbers and decide after you looked at the "worst-case scenario".

Back then I did so for my stories and I would have write (multiple) daily chapters to a massive audience (if only X% actual give you money for it) to have any noticeable payout from the contract. So I decided the minimum amount I could expect was nowhere near enough to give up some authority over my story.

If you really play into the audience and write a lot, you might end up as one of the few people who can make it big over there. If not, you should think twice what you yourself really want out of your writing...

CL

If you have a couple of thousand dollars laid out somewhere ($3k might do it), I'd get a lawyer to review the contract. Not everything written down might be legit. I also don't mean they're trying to trick you. Some practices might not function the way they were used to processing things in contracts and theirs might be needing an update. Who knows what could be right or go wrong (those who've experienced it)?

Just be careful what you and them sign and pledge to do for each other (remember: contracts are supposed to benefit both parties).

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It also depends on the country where the contract is enforced. I remember when I started working for a Japanese company, they told me that contracts aren't as rigid in Japan as they are in the US. I still read that thing a dozen times anyway and had my mom and one of my lovers read it, too. It turned out to be a very lovely side job where I only worked a few days a month. There were a few months where they didn't have any work for me, but I still got paid.

IvyVeritas

If it was a good contract, they wouldn't need to reach out to you. They'd be overwhelmed by submissions from other authors. That means, by definition, that it's a bad contract. They'll try to hide that fact, though. Probably by offering to pay you by page reads or something like that, while not telling you what the typical number of page reads are (they might tell you the amount for their most popular stories, but not their typical stories).

Darkwood

Just so you know wn standard practise is that you cannot post your novel elsewhere, at least chapters that are locked anyway. And you would be handing over the entire copyright, not partial, wn asks for full copyright control.

Aaky

Depends if you live in a third world country or not. Also depends how popular your story is and if you are willing to part with it. And if you can keep up with the daily 2k words imposed on you.

If you don't care about your story, and can easily write 2k a day, then go ahead and sing. If you struggle to write 2k or love your story, then stay away from WN. They are technically the devil.

QUICK EDIT: MEANT 2K A DAY

Opmjc

If you are low on money then you should accept it, try to look more on the side where you could earn...

But for you to earn, you have to become one of their slaves first.

Welp, it's just like a job where your earnings depends on the readers.

Erios909

Just so you know wn standard practise is that you cannot post your novel elsewhere, at least chapters that are locked anyway. And you would be handing over the entire copyright, not partial, wn asks for full copyright control.

Depends if you live in a third world country or not. Also depends how popular your story is and if you are willing to part with it. And if you can keep up with the daily 2k words imposed on you.

If you don't care about your story, and can easily write 2k a day, then go ahead and sing. If you struggle to write 2k or love your story, then stay away from WN. They are technically the devil.

QUICK EDIT: MEANT 2K A DAY

Asking for the whole copyright is a huge red flag, also requiring 2k words a day makes it sound like a sweatshop.

I'd run the other way very quickly.

Tim_Saian

Well. There's a bit of misconception here. If you are low on money and in a third world country I think it'll do good to accept. WN contracts split everything in the middle but one thing they can't control is the audience they give you. If you accept the contract and post regularly you can quickly get 2k readers who you can divert to any of your other books say on patreon. You can also gain $200 monthly guaranteed if you meet the requirements which is good money for some people. If you're signing with a novel that's not especially precious to you then a WN contract can help you build your readership quicker than most sites will.
Also, they require 1500 words at least a day for the guarantee system thingy I can't really explain. You also don't have to pull your story down from other sites, but if you go premium and start putting chapters behind pay walls then those pay walled chapters have to be on WN alone. Makes sense cuz why would you want your money making chapters free to read on other sites?
Copyright is really for stuff like turning your novel into an audiobook or a comic. Comics which they frequently do and anime(Kings Avatar) which they recently did.