DAE not like self-insets usually?

Verdant

(DAE= Does anyone else)

I notice in a lot of novels and webcomics, the protagonist is a self insert. I dislike this 99% of the time since the protagonist (in my opinion) is usually boring and perfect in every way (except some quirky fault like being clumsy).. Bonus points if it’s a harem power fantasy lol.

Most people do seem to enjoy self-inserts so I must be the exception here. I guess people like seeing themself in a story, especially when in which they triumph.

However I find that I always like protagonists who feel like actual characters grounded to their world more so than anything. Especially main characters who aren’t particularly special but are well-developed and entertaining. A lot of protagonists come to mind but protagonists like Saul Goodman, Amélie Poulain, Korra, Shinji Ikari, etc fit this. I just in particular like these characters even if they share nothing in common lol.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
It depends. I feel like the reason a lot of people dislike self insert power fantasy characters is because it removes any urgency from the story, where there is a strong character who always keeps his cool and has a plan on what to do next, who is just another generic looking male with short hair.

I think as long as the self insert power fantasy character is adequately challenged and surprised in the story then it can be fine and enjoyable. A good example in my opinion would be the mc from rakudai Kishi no cavalry, without a doubt a power fantasy self insert character, but one who is still faces engaging challenges.

Tempokai

Overworked One
Self inserts are completely fine until the writer in question comes as unlikeable as it gets from the descriptions of themselves. I wouldn't read anything from the narcissist.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
(DAE= Does anyone else)

I notice in a lot of novels and webcomics, the protagonist is a self insert. I dislike this 99% of the time since the protagonist (in my opinion) is usually boring and perfect in every way (except some quirky fault like being clumsy).. Bonus points if it’s a harem power fantasy lol.

Most people do seem to enjoy self-inserts so I must be the exception here. I guess people like seeing themself in a story, especially when in which they triumph.

However I find that I always like protagonists who feel like actual characters grounded to their world more so than anything. Especially main characters who aren’t particularly special but are well-developed and entertaining. A lot of protagonists come to mind but protagonists like Saul Goodman, Amélie Poulain, Korra, Shinji Ikari, etc fit this. I just in particular like these characters even if they share nothing in common lol.
It depends on the context, if it is like Stan Lee then no, if it is the mc then I probably would get annoyed. Read some story where the protagonist randomly went off on how homeless folks are lazy bums who should be killed and immediately my opinion went from being annoyed with the story to actively hating it…

aattss

I can sometimes tolerate protagonists who were ordinary people. I absolutely loathe blank slate protagonists who hover between common denominator and having no character traits.

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
I don't like most of them when they're done badly. The OP protagonist who is stronger than anyone? Boring. Having them as the snarky side character who provides background info? Much better.