Death threats backfiring

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Most villainous oppositions do it to the main character and gang, it is their job to do so in order to show/ enhance their villainy even more, as though the shits they pull are not good enough justification for MC to go all JUSTICE against them.

From the earlier Batman animated days to the now current xianxia and KR, death threats are the deadly version of trash talking. Though I have to say, from DC's "you can't stop my plan, Batman!" to "I, YOUR FATHER, SHALL...!" is a bit uncouth, as though a few decades is enough to change the climate from an aggressive challenge to screaming the N words and insulting someone's parentage. Of course the trend is from West to East, so there's that. Totally not saying that the eastern thugs lack mannerism, I totally believe so.

Then there is what comes after, for Batman or any other heroes, it was immediate thwarting of villain's scheme and it's jail time for them. For the eastern side like JP where villains died due to kamehame ha (and maybe the POF kicks in), KR where villains died due to random BS and in CN where villains died due to random BS plus MC going snarky on them.

Then there is an outlier from a single CN author. From the works of Strongest Abandoned Son (shit work, thank god I can't recall it) and Mighty Number Nine (can't recall name and it has two same points to the game with the same name; they got "nine" in their name and it is a shit croissant with flaky feces sprinkled on and diarrhea filling), the concept of NOT murdering the one insulting you because of a single reason... the MC not imba enough. Then after the failed murder attempt from both sides, they immediately initiate two maneuvers; retreat as though nothing happened or start to be chummy as though nothing happened while plotting like snakes inside their own heads. Another fun fact is that this situation ONLY happened when MC has reached godhood, where his crown (the head not the jewelry) has hit the power ceiling of the reality. This kind of lowkey is telling me that one should show restraint to the head of state... before mindlessly murder them like the rest of the peasants previously.

Back to topic about death threats backfiring and moments before villains can be scooped up by the dustbuster, they either take it in stride and suck it up (rarely), plead for mercy, fall into denial or continue to curse the MC.

To be honest, I have more respect for the first (suck thumb) and the last (continue cursing), because in the very end, it is important not to provide MC more gratification. Though I have to ask, wouldn't the entire awkward shit if they tone the trash talking down in the first place? Where was the teaching of ethics and manners?

The-Author

Villains are just dumb they just send Death threats alerting the protagonist which is a stupid move as it makes the protagonist prepare for that threat which is stupid, if I were the villain I could've killed the thing I want to kill silently without the death threat as they don't have time to prepare like in isekai if I were correct the demon king or the villain just wait's silently waiting for his/her death threatening his loved ones thinking that it's fine nothing bad is going to happen but there's a freaking prophecy about the hero and prophecy can't be taken lightly if I were the demon king i would have killed the hero when he is weak sending all of my force on to the hero killing him and also destroy kingdoms that can summon heroes.

NobleTalon

Most villainous oppositions do it to the main character and gang, it is their job to do so in order to show/ enhance their villainy even more, as though the shits they pull are not good enough justification for MC to go all JUSTICE against them.

From the earlier Batman animated days to the now current xianxia and KR, death threats are the deadly version of trash talking. Though I have to say, from DC's "you can't stop my plan, Batman!" to "I, YOUR FATHER, SHALL...!" is a bit uncouth, as though a few decades is enough to change the climate from an aggressive challenge to screaming the N words and insulting someone's parentage. Of course the trend is from West to East, so there's that. Totally not saying that the eastern thugs lack mannerism, I totally believe so.

Then there is what comes after, for Batman or any other heroes, it was immediate thwarting of villain's scheme and it's jail time for them. For the eastern side like JP where villains died due to kamehame ha (and maybe the POF kicks in), KR where villains died due to random BS and in CN where villains died due to random BS plus MC going snarky on them.

Then there is an outlier from a single CN author. From the works of Strongest Abandoned Son (shit work, thank god I can't recall it) and Mighty Number Nine (can't recall name and it has two same points to the game with the same name; they got "nine" in their name and it is a shit croissant with flaky feces sprinkled on and diarrhea filling), the concept of NOT murdering the one insulting you because of a single reason... the MC not imba enough. Then after the failed murder attempt from both sides, they immediately initiate two maneuvers; retreat as though nothing happened or start to be chummy as though nothing happened while plotting like snakes inside their own heads. Another fun fact is that this situation ONLY happened when MC has reached godhood, where his crown (the head not the jewelry) has hit the power ceiling of the reality. This kind of lowkey is telling me that one should show restraint to the head of state... before mindlessly murder them like the rest of the peasants previously.

Back to topic about death threats backfiring and moments before villains can be scooped up by the dustbuster, they either take it in stride and suck it up (rarely), plead for mercy, fall into denial or continue to curse the MC.

To be honest, I have more respect for the first (suck thumb) and the last (continue cursing), because in the very end, it is important not to provide MC more gratification. Though I have to ask, wouldn't the entire awkward shit if they tone the trash talking down in the first place? Where was the teaching of ethics and manners?

The actual meta in most of the fantasy / isekai novels is for the villain sending both death threats AND indirect help to the MC.

A real villain would use the maximum power at the beginning to kill the MC.

This is what a realist and 'logic' story would be, it is also what any smart person would do when facing a threat : neutralize it with the most efficient method from the beginning.

However, because of scenario issues, most of the villains prefer to send their subordinates fight, let important resources get stolen, and many other things that will just serve as stepping stones for the MC.

When the villain finally decides to face the MC, he can't kill him anymore because the MC became stronger than the villain ; that's the path most of these stories follow.

I call it the Freeza/Coola rule : if you know Dragon Ball, when Frieza destroy the Vegeta planet he didn't make sure to kill all of the saiyajins. Same for his brother Coola when he detected the capsule with baby Goku inside escaping the planet, he chose to not destroy it.

In the end, they both got killed by an overpowered Goku, which is the embodiment of the shonen MC, because of their arrogance and lack of effectiveness.

Btw, if Frieza started to fight himself and transformed in his last form from the beginning on Namek, he would still have killed everyone. But because of his arrogance, he preferred to send plenty of secondary characters such as Zabon, Dodoria, the Ginyu commando to fight in his place. None of them could kill Goku's team, not even Vegeta who was much weaker than Goku at this point, and all they achieved was making Goku stronger, especially after his fight with Ginyu where he got injured and came back stronger.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Going off the topic over here, I like when the villain, be they main or oneshot, to be a mirror of the MC, to show how even a small difference can result in the difference in standing.

I also like how the works will point out that the lategame villains are just as hardworking/ lucky/ getting the protagonist spotlight in their lives so much so that they are now quite high in standings. Even if the works then go and spoil it by propping up their own MC.

NobleTalon

Going off the topic over here, I like when the villain, be they main or oneshot, to be a mirror of the MC, to show how even a small difference can result in the difference in standing.
yeah same

it's even better if, as a reader, I identify myself more to the villain than to the MC.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
yeah same

it's even better if, as a reader, I identify myself more to the villain than to the MC.
Yes, that can happen, but mostly in a weird case as the readers are supposedly in the MC's shoes.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Disappointed that no one posted the death threats meme yet.

Death threats only work if MC is a normie without power

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Disappointed that no one posted the death threats meme yet.

Death threats only work if MC is a normie without power
Yup, I believe just like the MC, the villains are also "god chosen", but they ended up so far up their own asses and they fail to take into account that there can still be others to overthrow them.

Maybe it is arrogance, maybe because they have done it to others so many times that they also view MC just like the others. Either way, it never pays to be a smug snake. No one likes a smug snake.
sometimes the MC is too righteous and naive, while the villain is realistic and smart
Lol, the MC is supposed to be the paragon of virtue, maybe even a self insert for those who wants to feel good while doing nothing.

And yes, sometimes we can lose connection to the cardboard man and ended up cheering for the villain instead because we can see their human-like flaws. Kind of why most works shift to giving their MCs relatable blemishes.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
It's the Villain Speech that is the most common source of death threats backfiring.
VILLAIN: (Talks about how bad he is...) Hear my monologue as you shake in your boots in fear.
HERO: (Defeats the villain.) SHUT UP!

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Yup, I believe just like the MC, the villains are also "god chosen", but they ended up so far up their own asses and they fail to take into account that there can still be others to overthrow them.

Maybe it is arrogance, maybe because they have done it to others so many times that they also view MC just like the others. Either way, it never pays to be a smug snake. No one likes a smug snake.

Lol, the MC is supposed to be the paragon of virtue, maybe even a self insert for those who wants to feel good while doing nothing.

And yes, sometimes we can lose connection to the cardboard man and ended up cheering for the villain instead because we can see their human-like flaws. Kind of why most works shift to giving their MCs relatable blemishes.
Most mcs are heroes but do not have the journey of a hero, making us unwilling to take their form

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I like my MCs to be the ones doing the villain speech, but being totally aware of it. I already wrote my hero/antagonist doing a "I know you're in there"-speech and my MC totally rolling with it just to btfo the idiot hero after he punched the lights out of him.

The "and now I will kill you after I monologue all my plans and how to stop them" speech is planned as well, again, just to let my MC drop a "do you think me THAT stupid" truth bomb.

(Yes, I know I'm evil, thank you for noticing)