Do people think that books written in Pulp Speed are cheap?

Are they cheap?

• Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
For now, my weekends are still free, so today I wrote 7k words (so far). Does that make my books cheap? I am not speaking about price. In that case, they are indeed cheap, since they are free. But I am asking about the opinion of the readers.

SainS

Sanderson has written like 16k a day and plenty of big trad books were written in short amount of time too. Sometimes words just come easier.

HypnoticNovels

I don't really understand your question 😅 It's really only the quality of what you write that matters. I don't think the readers will even be able to know how long you spent writing it unless you explicitly tell them

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
A 10K words novel? Man, I hope it flows well! (Me when reading A Slayer Gamer in WebNovel)

Oh boi, it flows too well. (Me after reading A Slayer Gamer in WebNovel)
For now, my weekends are still free, so today I wrote 7k words (so far). Does that make my books cheap? I am not speaking about price. In that case, they are indeed cheap, since they are free. But I am asking about the opinion of the readers.
As far as I know, if it's a good story, then it'll be a good long chap.

Besides, what story you're referring to, sis?

Me can help that. :blob_cookie:

TotallyHuman

Does that make my books cheap? I am not speaking about price. In that case, they are indeed cheap, since they are free. But I am asking about the opinion of the readers.
don't get what you mean. Cheap how if not in price?

WingsOfPhantasy

Tomboy Agenda Symphathizer
No. Unless you writing books at pulp speed screws up your grammar and how the story progresses so badly it's unreadable, then I don't think that it reduces the quality of your work.
(I'm envious you could do that btw. It's really not for me though)

GoodPerson

No. Unless you writing books at pulp speed screws up your grammar and how the story progresses so badly it's unreadable, then I don't think that it reduces the quality of your work.
(I'm envious you could do that btw. It's really not for me though)
My guy, he's been doing stuff called writing for years. I think he heard this advice once before you.

laccoff_mawning

On my best writing day ever, I probably managed only 700 words. I cannot imagine what writing 7000 words per day would look like.
However, I guess I would expect it to be cheap?

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
As a reader, fast is preferable, the main issue is getting people to see it, which I theorize takes ~100,000 words or to be on the trending tab…

GoodPerson

On my best writing day ever, I probably managed only 700 words. I cannot imagine what writing 7000 words per day would look like.
Wdym cheap?

Hold on. hold on. Sis, in this context, what do you mean by cheap?

@doravg

NineHeadHeavenDevouringSerpent

It's not about how fast or slow, it is how much you invested in making sure it is sound and consistent with the story.

Usually less time invested= less quality.

Have checks, rechecks and checks on those rechecks.

GoodPerson

Nothing wrong with hearing it again. Or another couple hundred times... :blob_sweat:
Me, who's been scolded by mother with the same reason and advice because of the same and similar problem:

wheredigowrong.jpg

BlackKnightX

Not necessarily, but writing too fast can mean you're not putting lots of though into it, which means the story can come off shallow.

It could also be a perception bias. If you don't tell readers how much time you spent writing it, and readers see it as of high quality, then it's a high quality work. But if readers know you spent so little time writing it, they might think of it as of low quality.

But in general, good story is good story. It doesn't matter how much time you spent writing it or even how you did it. If it's good, then it's good. If it's bad, then it's bad. Simple as that.

GoodPerson

Not necessarily, but writing too fast can mean you're not putting lots of though into it, which means the story can come off shallow.
@doravg

Sis, so basically...

If the result comes out as fine quality work, people will think you invested a lot of time in it. If they know you spent a little time on it and are still able to create high-quality results, they'll admire you, but they also think this is a low-quality work of yours.

Think of it like a maestro of literacy.

People will have what's called "Maestro Standard". It's a standard to rate the Maestro's works. Is one of his books a good one? A masterpiece? Or a terrible mistake to exist? Let's use the "Maestro Standard". That's what they'll do.

Don't compare the "terribly made" work of the Maestro, it's still better than most of the books out there. That's what they think about the Maestro's ability.

In short, your readers should have a standard for you alone. Why? Once they deem you as one of the nice and professional writers, they'll put a standard solely focusing on your novels.

So, do not worry. Even if some of them are degenerates, they know how to rate properly.

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
I don't really understand your question 😅 It's really only the quality of what you write that matters. I don't think the readers will even be able to know how long you spent writing it unless you explicitly tell them
And if I update every day? I have a viewership on AO3, and more Bookmarks and Kudos, so I must have gotten better, but I am not sure. I have always doubted myself.
A 10K words novel? Man, I hope it flows well! (Me when reading A Slayer Gamer in WebNovel)

Oh boi, it flows too well. (Me after reading A Slayer Gamer in WebNovel)

As far as I know, if it's a good story, then it'll be a good long chap.

Besides, what story you're referring to, sis?

Me can help that. :blob_cookie:
All of my stories are Pulp Speed, but the last one, since after starting to work I have just 30 minutes during the workweek for writing. So, I can't just pick one. They all fit the criteria.
don't get what you mean. Cheap how if not in price?
not worth thinking over.
Thank you for your honesty. And it is 13153 words now.
Wdym cheap?

@doravg
not worth commenting, not worth thinking over. Such things.

It could also be a perception bias. If you don't tell readers how much time you spent writing it, and readers see it as of high quality, then it's a high quality work. But if readers know you spent so little time writing it, they might think of it as of low quality.

But in general, good story is good story. It doesn't matter how much time you spent writing it or even how you did it. If it's good, then it's good. If it's bad, then it's bad. Simple as that.
I get more views after I update the last chapter of a story. But then the readers don't know how fast I wrote the story. So, should I really not tell them that the story is complete, before I update the last chapter? I thought that when they knew it was complete, they would be happier and secure in the knowledge, that I won't drop it.
@doravg

Sis, so basically...

If the result comes out as fine quality work, people will think you invested a lot of time in it. If they know you spent a little time on it and are still able to create high-quality results, they'll admire you, but they also think this is a low-quality work of yours.

Think of it like a maestro of literacy.

People will have what's called "Maestro Standard". It's a standard to rate the Maestro's works. Is one of his books a good one? A masterpiece? Or a terrible mistake to exist? Let's use the "Maestro Standard". That's what they'll do.

Don't compare the "terribly made" work of the Maestro, it's still better than most of the books out there. That's what they think about the Maestro's ability.

In short, your readers should have a standard for you alone. Why? Once they deem you as one of the nice and professional writers, they'll put a standard solely focusing on your novels.

So, do not worry. Even if some of them are degenerates, they know how to rate properly.
Thanks! I really needed to hear that. =)

Last edited:

GoodPerson

And if I update every day? I have a viewership on AO3, and more Bookmarks and Kudos, so I must have gotten better, but I am not sure. I have always doubted myself.

All of my stories are Pulp Speed, but the last one, since after starting to work I have just 30 minutes during the workweek for writing. So, I can't just pick one. They all fit the criteria.

not worth thinking over.

Thank you for your honesty. And it is 13153 words now.

I get more views after I update the last chapter of a story. But then the readers don't know how fast I wrote the story. So, should I really not tell them that the story is complete, before I update the last chapter? I thought that when they knew it was complete, they would be happier and secure in the knowledge, that I won't drop it.

Thanks! I really needed to hear that. =)
:blob_melt:

laccoff_mawning

Wdym cheap?

As blacknight says, another word for it might be shallow. If you write so fast, you have less time time to think about the overall plot and themes and stuff you want to put in. So you either end up with a stereotypical story which required no original thought of your own to make, or your story just has a very slow pace, or you just are really fast at writing up what you want to write, and already prepped all the ideas out beforehand.

I also want to state I don't mean that everyone who writes a lot of words per day make bad, not-well-thought-out stories, but just that I personally am bias towards thinking that.

GoodPerson

As blacknight says, another word for it might be shallow. If you write so fast, you have less time time to think about the overall plot and themes and stuff you want to put in. So you either end up with a stereotypical story which required no original thought of your own to make, or your story just has a very slow pace, or you just are really fast at writing up what you want to write, and already prepped all the ideas out beforehand.

I also want to state I don't mean that everyone who writes a lot of words per day make bad, not-well-thought-out stories, but just that I personally am bias towards thinking that.
So basically:

Fast writing with preparation and thoughts = good stuff

Fast writing with zero thoughts and brain = must eradicate

FebyA

I assume cheap = low quality work? Then I don't think you need to worry. Because quantity and quality are not mutually exclusive.

Research shows artists who produce a lot of work are often the ones who produce the best work. The more you create, the better you get at your craft. The more you create, the more likely you will have a breakthrough. The more you create, the more likely you will encounter a truly special idea.

Don't believe me? Here's a research paper to support that claim:

It was about producing research paper instead of fictional writing, but I believe it has the same principle. Pulp speed will inevitably lead to better quality.

So don’t slow down, Shishou. Don’t worry that maybe this pulp speed is wrong. Being able to write at pulp speed is the biggest reason I admire you, by the way. Keep going and the quality will increase. The quantity trajectory will inevitably give you the best quality. If you’re unhappy with your art’s quantity or quality, focus on quantity first. Create more art, more often. The quality will follow.