Do sad, tragic stories make you depressed?

A guy recommended me watching Angel Beats, which I know have a sad ending. In fact, I've been putting this one off for almost a decade now.

I've read that tragedy and sad ending are a good way to give you a sense of catharsis, releasing all the pent up emotions. But I've also read that some people avoid it completely because it doesn't help at all; it actually makes them even more depressed.

Which camp are you in? Do you think sad, tragic stories—stories with sad, tragic endings—make you have a negative outlook in life?
Not really. For me it is about the same as watching a movie or watching TV.
I get emotional in the moment, as you are really meant to with that genre.
I suppose the way I can describe it in my head is like this:
It is only a story. It is a tale that the writer(s) have designed to pull at a certain set of emotions during the reading or watching.
It is meant to entertain you, hence it has to captivate you in some way.
Once the story is complete, so is that particular journey with it.

Great question BTW. I happened to spot it on the main page and wanted to see what was going on certainly food for thought - so thanks for the diversion! :s_smile::blob_highfive:

Feylin

It just fuels me, i do feel sad and cry about it but it fuels me to write and make an even more messed up version in my head and then i put a happy dandy story in my story notes :blob_reach: :blob_cookie::blob_cookie:

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Sad stories good but pessimistic stories succ

Sad stories make me glad I dont deal with this shit. Pessimistic stories reminds me that life and efforts are meaningless and hopeless

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
Sometimes plot lines just hit harder.

That lord of the rings tv show? I cried over Galadriel. Was this show especially tragic? Not really. Was I inconsolable for an hour after I watched the last episode? Yes. Yes, I was.

I don’t seek out tragedies but if I end up reading one I feel compelled to finish it. If I don’t get to finish it, then THAT is what will kill me. If I’m gonna be sad at least give me closure!!!

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
I've read that tragedy and sad ending are a good way to give you a sense of catharsis, releasing all the pent up emotions. But I've also read that some people avoid it completely because it doesn't help at all; it actually makes them even more depressed.
Just turn on the TV on any news channel and wait a bit. I'm sure you're about to hear about so many tragedies… Tell me if any of them make you feel better, OK?

Now being serious. No, it's not a guaranteed way to make me feel sad. I have real issues sympathising with people, and hearing their suffering would have been a great way, right? Well, guess not. Most of the time I'm too busy trying to understand how it could be reproduced in other settings than really feeling sorry for people by the end of the story. It is more of an educational reading than cathartic experience in my case. Which is why I like them so very much.

Those stories usually affect me more by the middle of them than by the end. It's often the point when I develop some sympathy with them. By the end, I have already rationalized everything they have gone through and am already looking for something different.

Tyranomaster

Guy who writes stuff
I find that it depresses me for a short time (a week to a month, thanks clannad), but they've given me a much better perspective on life. I don't get bothered by minor inconveniences as much.

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...

Which camp are you in? Do you think sad, tragic stories—stories with sad, tragic endings—make you have a negative outlook in life?
No. I read and watch shows for entertainment. For enjoyment. I have never had a sad ending give we a cathartic release or any other bullshit like that. If you need stories to realize the world is harsh, dirty and nasty at times, you live a very very fucking sheltered life.

I had someone ask why I don't read or watch dystopian stories, my response was if I want dystopian, I'll watch CSPAN.

No, they don't make me have a more tragic outlook, I just would prefer my entertainment not to be the same shit as the evening news.
It's actually a very common medical knowledge, though.. When your stress level raises, endorphin is released to dull it down. And your stress threshold or pain tolerance becomes higher. In a layman term, you become case-hardened. You deal with pain or stress better.
Of real life experiences. Watching a show or reading a book is not the same as actually experiencing it. Your comparing apples to eggplants.

Even if that was true, why the fuck is 'becoming case hardened' a good thing? That's like saying I beat the shit out of my toddler for crying to make him a tougher man. That's callous. That's something to be avoided, not encouraged.

Last edited:

Syahardian

A guy recommended me watching Angel Beats, which I know have a sad ending. In fact, I've been putting this one off for almost a decade now.

For me, no. But I can understand why some people avoid it with that reason.

Did it evoke any emotions from me? Yes. Make me cried? Well, yeah. Depressed tho? No. Although, sometimes when I stumbled upon stories that hit too close to home, doesn't matter if it a sad one or not, I always think about it as a way of reflection on my own life and then said "Damn, they just like me fr fr"

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I tried watching angel beats, but the whole story was slow and uninteresting and the character designs were so bland.

Sad stories just piss me off most of the time. When I feel like it’s trying to pull emotion out of thin air without investing it properly.

BlackKnightX

Of real life experiences. Watching a show or reading a book is not the same as actually experiencing it. Your comparing apples to eggplants.
Ever felt any emotions at all when you read or watch something? Like, crying over a moving scene or feeling tensed in a scary, suspenseful scene. Those are real emotions elicited by a fictional story, a complete lie.

How's that possible?

As it turns out, your brain can't distinguish what's real and not real. That's why you get a rush of adrenaline when the character you connect with in a story is in danger, your heart pounding. They are lies, right? Why does that happen? They're made up people, so why do you care?

We're not toddlers or retards; we know what's real and not real, but our brains and bodies don't. That's why fiction is often used to instill some kind of lesson or truth since time out of mind. Kind of like a subliminal way of teaching you something.

Tragedy is often used as a cautionary tale for ages. But the question here isn't about the lesson, it's about whether watching something negative will instill you a negative energy. In other words, will it make you cynical and pessimistic if consumed a lot? Kind of like someone watching too much depressing news and becoming cynical and pessimistic. This is the only concern I have.
Even if that was true, why the fuck is 'becoming case hardened' a good thing? That's like saying I beat the shit out of my toddler for crying to make him a tougher man. That's callous. That's something to be avoided, not encouraged.
Becoming case-hardened in this context means to deal with stress and pain better. I was saying something about endorphin in the original comment. Like I said, when you get stressed or feel pain, your body releases endorphin to numb it down, so you're not in a complete agony. It's a survival mechanism.

For example: when you watch a tragedy and see how bad things are for the characters you care about, you get stressed, so endorphin is released to numb it down. Once it numbs all of it, you'll have established a new threshold for stress tolerance.

In other words, when you deal with a stressful situation in real life, you'll be more clam and composed and better deal with the problem at hand. It's basically saying, "I've dealt with harder shit than this, this shit is nothing. Now let's get to work."

Your toddler example is completely idiotic and out of context. Is your example about getting used to beating up toddlers real? Yes, I believe so. But that's also a matter of conscience and common sense, which is not what we're discussing here at all.

If you use that example and decide becoming case-hardened is a bad idea, then when applied to a completely different context like better dealing with a stressful situation, you would think freaking out like a bitch or getting depressed over it is a good idea.

There are many exciting pastimes aside from consuming a story that have the same process of raising your stress level in a safe environment and making you feel better at the end (extreme sports, rollercoaster, etc.). It's completely normal.

Last edited:

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
A sad story will maybe make me feel a bit more excited for a while. I dunno, I guess I enjoy it?
Don't fucking 😮 me @BlackKnightX, I don't mean that kind of excited!
…thou doth protest too much
I'm too busy trying to understand how it could be reproduced in other settings
In stories, I hope

Do you prefer tragedies for the educational experience or do you just not mind the emotion of the written work?

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
In stories, I hope

Do you prefer tragedies for the educational experience or do you just not mind the emotion of the written work?
I'm not trying to reproduce the stories myself. I'm just keeping them as an educational experience, yes. Perhaps if I ever do have a need of applying that knowledge it could be useful, but I do not actively seek to make others suffer. I'm not sadist enough for that.

I like my stories to be fresh, so all of them are sort of an educational experience, since, ideally, they should present new experiences. As for the emotion, I just fail most of the time to actually form deep rapport to be "devastated" when loss occurs.

Shrimp_eater

Not depressed but i do find most of them plain unenjoyable. Drama and tragedy are really hard to make, and i notice many works just go for cheap melodrama instead of actually trying to develop a narrative that could speak with the readers/spectators.

Angel Beats in particular was actually pretty good. There is something moving in the idea of people dealing with life regrets post mortem, though i find all other Maeda works rather lackluster.

Another thing i notice is that little moments tend to speak to me more than great developments. When i was playing Atelier Ayesha, a particular event that stuck to me was Harry (some eccentric rich guy), speaking of the time he was a kid from a poor family, recounting how his mother would occasionally knead a cheap bread using miscellaneous ingredients, how that bread was his favorite food.

AdamKusy

If it reminds me of something that I know of or that I suffered then it might. Realistic war stories are definitely the most haunting since it happens in the real life too and it just makes me value living in peace and freedom even more.