Do you ever get one star ratings?

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Why this place even has a rating system if someone can ask a friendly mod to only keep positive ratings? And you guys only vote 5-star for everything, destroying any relevancy for people trying to sort novels by rating. It's called circle jerking. As you vote 5-star for any garbage it's only natural for someone to try to counter your votes.
Hmmm. If it helps, I think people were reporting the low ratings given across without actually reading the works - such as the new stories or stories on the front page which got bombed with 1-star ratings across the board. They're likely deemed just as unfair as rating poor works a five, or trolling. I went to check out of curiosity, and saw that these ratings were removed retrospectively per category, likely via account (banning one account used to rate 1's on all stories of every category for that day).

I personally don't vote 5's on works I don't enjoy, at least on a conceptual level. Actually, I don't vote on stories at all if I don't like them... if I can't stick to a story, I tend to just quietly move on. If I do, they usually get very long comments (and I'd probably forget to vote...)

Mods won't remove a rating just because it's bad, don't worry! I believe they work fairly too, since it's one of the foundations of the site. This one's just a special occasion, so don't worry about it.

D

Deleted member 45782

You have a story that hasn't gotten a lot of ratings or reviews, but your story is sitting at a five star rating. Then, one day, some pompous windbag thinks that your story is unreadable, and without a word, takes it down a star.

I'm venting of course. I also don't know how much people on the site care about the star ratings. But it pisses me off.

Why does someone do this? As a joke? Just for the heck of it? I can't imagine they read any of my story. Is there a reason why someone would be inclined to do this? This was my original work, not my fanfic. Do they just think my story idea sounds stupid? Have I been so callous on the forums as to piss someone off?

Again, I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. I just think its stupid. But this just leaves open the possibility that more people like this can come along and take my decent stories down to being considered crap.

Has this happened to the rest of y'all? Is this a common thing?

EDIT:

Okay, so I after I found the suspected user on the forums, and sent the stern message "I hope you enjoy rating people's stories one star, mysteriously, I returned to the main site to find that the bad review had disappeared.... hmmm 🤔
welcome to the club of people with one star complaints. some do it to troll, others do it bc they really do have differing opinions on how good it is.

you have original work too? interesting 👀
i only know about your fanfic. perhaps i need to visit others profiles to see other series they are also making

edit. second comment was on wrong post. darn too confuse with different tabs

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 46002

You have a story that hasn't gotten a lot of ratings or reviews, but your story is sitting at a five star rating. Then, one day, some pompous windbag thinks that your story is unreadable, and without a word, takes it down a star.

I'm venting of course. I also don't know how much people on the site care about the star ratings. But it pisses me off.

Why does someone do this? As a joke? Just for the heck of it? I can't imagine they read any of my story. Is there a reason why someone would be inclined to do this? This was my original work, not my fanfic. Do they just think my story idea sounds stupid? Have I been so callous on the forums as to piss someone off?

Again, I'm making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. I just think its stupid. But this just leaves open the possibility that more people like this can come along and take my decent stories down to being considered crap.

Has this happened to the rest of y'all? Is this a common thing?

EDIT:

Okay, so I after I found the suspected user on the forums, and sent the stern message "I hope you enjoy rating people's stories one star, mysteriously, I returned to the main site to find that the bad review had disappeared.... hmmm 🤔
There should be a system like on RR, which would let only rate the book after reading a certain amount of chapters.

It is hard to know your skill if everybody votes five stars or one star, so either way, ratings like this are toxic in general.

You should not get upset about this. Some people create, others destroy out of jealousy. :blob_no:

Keep on writing and hope for the best :blob_highfive:

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
Why this place even has a rating system if someone can ask a friendly mod to only keep positive ratings? And you guys only vote 5-star for everything, destroying any relevancy for people trying to sort novels by rating. It's called circle jerking. As you vote 5-star for any garbage it's only natural for someone to try to counter your votes.
Well the problem is, if I only have had three votes on my story, and two people vote one star, then it significantly lowers the apparent quality of my work to people.
welcome to the club of people with one star complaints. some do it to troll, others do it bc they really do have differing opinions on how good it is.

you have original work too? interesting 👀
i only know about your fanfic. perhaps i need to visit others profiles to see other series they are also making

edit. second comment was on wrong post. darn too confuse with different tabs
I just started releasing my original fantasy work, I'm releasing it one chapter a week.

D

Deleted member 29316

The ratings are removed if it's suspicious, or an obvious troll.

Don't worry, the mods here know what's up. I mean, WE CAN ONLY REPORT, BUT IT'S UP TO THE MODS IF THEY'RE GOING TO REMOVE THE RATING OR NOT. So chill.

Localforeigner

There should be a system like on RR, which would let only rate the book after reading a certain amount of chapters.

I don't believe that is the case. I'm pretty sure there is no requirement to leave a rating (unless I've missed an update?). Over on RR I have been hit with a 0.5 and a 1 star with no commentary...so...woo?

I really believe there should be no anonymous ratings. I understand why there is, but I think it would end the trolling. However, sometimes it isn't trolling. I've read some stories that I would justifiably give a 1 or half star rating because they are that bad. Usually, I do not though because I feel bad. Also, there is the worry that if I leave a bad review I will get one in return (hence why we have anonymous ratings...).
EDIT:

Out of curiosity, how did you figure out who did it?

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Ai-chan has been given 1-star ratings before. On Amazon, the rival authors from RRL back then would rating-bomb Ai-chan with 1 star a lot just because Ai-chan was on Top 50 and sold more copies than them. Some of those ratings disappeared, but it's unlikely due to Amazon being considerate since they don't care about user ratings. It's more likely that those troll accounts got banned or closed and their ratings got cancelled. Still, there are plenty of haters who didn't even read Ai-chan's story before rating it.

Other than that, Ai-chan doesn't care. While Ai-chan does feel miffed by people who just give 1-star rating because it amused them, Ai-chan tried not to take it to heart. Ai-chan knows Ai-chan's stories are not so bad that they deserve 1-star ratings. Sure, Ai-chan isn't all that good of an author, but Ai-chan isn't that bad of an author either. That's pretty much all that matters. Ai-chan doesn't deserve 1-star ratings.

If you don't like Ai-chan's stories and want to rating-bomb Ai-chan's stories, that's fine, Ai-chan will just take it off the site and deny everyone the opportunity to find out what will happen to the characters that other people anticipate. So for those who want to troll Ai-chan, just remember that Ai-chan doesn't lose anything from your trolling. You're just denying others the opportunity for a rich reading experience that comes for free.

So to the trolls, remember, your 'jollies' could cost others their reading materials.

EternalSunset0

Ai-chan has been given 1-star ratings before. On Amazon, the rival authors from RRL back then would rating-bomb Ai-chan with 1 star a lot just because Ai-chan was on Top 50 and sold more copies than them. Some of those ratings disappeared, but it's unlikely due to Amazon being considerate since they don't care about user ratings. It's more likely that those troll accounts got banned and their ratings got cancelled. Still, there are plenty of haters who didn't even read Ai-chan's story before rating it.

Other than that, Ai-chan doesn't care. While Ai-chan does feel miffed by people who just give 1-star rating because it amused them, Ai-chan tried not to take it to heart. Ai-chan knows Ai-chan's stories are not so bad that they deserve 1-star ratings. Sure, Ai-chan isn't all that good of an author, but Ai-chan isn't that bad of an author either. That's pretty much all that matters. Ai-chan doesn't deserve 1-star ratings.

If you don't like Ai-chan's stories and want to rating-bomb Ai-chan's stories, that's fine, Ai-chan will just take it off the site and deny everyone the opportunity to find out what will happen to the characters that other people. So for those who want to troll Ai-chan, just remember that Ai-chan doesn't lose anything from your trolling. You're just denying others the opportunity for a rich reading experience that comes for free.

So to the trolls, remember, your 'jollies' could cost others their reading materials.
I read the whole thing in a loli's voice. But on a serious note, I love the second paragraph. It sounded very candid, and I liked the self-confidence while acknowledging possible flaws.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
I don't believe that is the case. I'm pretty sure there is no requirement to leave a rating (unless I've missed an update?). Over on RR I have been hit with a 0.5 and a 1 star with no commentary...so...woo?

I really believe there should be no anonymous ratings. I understand why there is, but I think it would end the trolling. However, sometimes it isn't trolling. I've read some stories that I would justifiably give a 1 or half star rating because they are that bad. Usually, I do not though because I feel bad. Also, there is the worry that if I leave a bad review I will get one in return (hence why we have anonymous ratings...).

Out of curiosity, how did you figure out who did it?
No, you need to read the story first before rating.....

Localforeigner

No, you need to read the story first before rating.....
If by 'read' you mean open up a chapter and then hit the back button so you can leave a rating, sure. There is no minimum time spent. I just checked it with a story I'd never touched. Opened one chap, hit the back button, boom...able to leave a rating.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
If by 'read' you mean open up a chapter and then hit the back button so you can leave a rating, sure. There is no minimum time spent. I just checked it with a story I'd never touched. Opened one chap, hit the back button, boom...able to leave a rating.
....... (No answer)

erintesden

Eh, you are exageratting. Not that you are wrong per se.
But let's say there's a story that is objetively a 4 stars. Maybe even a solid 3 and half. But you aren't objective so you gave it a 5 stars
Does that give the right to someone else to say, "This can't have a perfect note, let's vote 1 star even if the story is good just for the heck of it"?

No. Thats just being a dick.

WasatchWind

Eh, you are exageratting. Not that you are wrong per se.
But let's say there's a story that is objetively a 4 stars. Maybe even a solid 3 and half. But you aren't objective so you gave it a 5 stars
Does that give the right to someone else to say, "This can't have a perfect note, let's vote 1 star even if the story is good just for the heck of it"?

No. Thats just being a dick.
Yeah, I agree. If I read a story on here that I don't think is good, I'd at worst probably vote a three. I'd be more interested in commenting on the story and giving constructive criticism. I want to help authors, not put them down and discourage them from writing.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I had it happen to me, but for very specific reasons. When I started doing my first chapter feedback, a lot of other people started to do it too. One of them was just giving out horrendous critiques and plain wrong grammatical advice. I pointed out some of their mistakes and they blew up and gave me a one star review.

The moral of the story? The word number is singular. Even if you use the phrase "large number". Still singular. At no point in time should you ever use the phrase "The large number were."

The second moral of the story is probably don't offer writing advice and pretend you know anything if you can't use basic subject verb agreement.

The final moral is if you do suck at grammar, and offer advice anyway, don't be mad when someone points out your mistake in a polite way.

WasatchWind

I had it happen to me, but for very specific reasons. When I started doing my first chapter feedback, a lot of other people started to do it too. One of them was just giving out horrendous critiques and plain wrong grammatical advice. I pointed out some of their mistakes and they blew up and gave me a one star review.

The moral of the story? The word number is singular. Even if you use the phrase "large number". Still singular. At no point in time should you ever use the phrase "The large number were."

The second moral of the story is probably don't offer writing advice and pretend you know anything if you can't use basic subject verb agreement.

The final moral is if you do suck at grammar, and offer advice anyway, don't be mad when someone points out your mistake in a polite way.
Grammar is something I try to avoid critiquing, as I don't know how to explain it. Although I don't consider myself a lover of grammar or anything like that, or that I never have a typo, grammar just feels like it comes naturally to me.

Even when typing online comments on my phone like I am right now, for some reason I feel the need to make sure that everything is correct. I just seem to have an intuition for recognizing wrong grammar.

Last edited: