Do you guys remember any old dead anime websites?

tounokenja

Gyaru connoisseur
Anipike / Anime web turnpike. This was a thing before google, in which we westerners learned about amazing anime like Akira, or Dragon Ball, or Urusei Yatsura, Gundam, Macross, and the stuff pretty much until like Outlaw Star and Trigun... after that the actual internet became a thing, but it would be a few years until high speed access and reliable methods of getting anime without having to find a store to rent anime (on recommendation) from. Good ol' XDCC transfers, modded Napster, private trackers, kazaa, morpheus, limewire, WinMX, and then eventually bittorrent.

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
Zoroto just died a few weeks ago.

Lodur

Eight virgin
HorribleSubs had provided ongoings over the decade. They were killed by COVID, if we can believe message their leader have put a couple of days before shutting down their main site.

Kamelingil

Head of Thicc Thighs Supremacy
GoGoAnime, pretty much alive.
KissAnime, I watch one anime and it disappeared.
Animesuge, I don't know if this is still alive
Animixplay, it's sad that I watched tons of animes there and got shutdown, it's was the best anime website.

I recently using 9anime.to but renamed as "Aniwave"

melchi

What is a custom title?
October 13, 2016
Baka-Updates wishes you farewell posted by: Baka-Updates Team
One day a group of friends by the names of y2klizard, aZn_nUt, Platinum|Star, and ^_^Teddie thought it would be a great idea if anime fansubs were more easily found in one location. There were already other websites that did this, however the others decided they would only report unlicensed shows. These guys quickly went to work and on July 20th, 2002 Baka-Updates was officially released to the public.

The goal of Baka-Updates was always to inform the users of the latest anime releases. Throughout the years, we have noticed the anime culture grow at a steady pace. It grew so much that companies eventually gave notice that viewers outside of Japan wanted to get the content fast and thus new streaming services such as Crunchyroll were born. Shows would be simucasted as soon as one hour after it was broadcasted in Japan. This led to the amount of fansubs decreasing since it was so convenient to view the new releases compared to the traditional methods.

As well, the Baka-Updates team continued to grow older. An increase in responsibilities with work and new families meant that we could not commit as much time into maintaining the website. Therefore we have decided it is the right time to shut down.

The team at Baka-Updates would like to thank all of our visitors for supporting the site over all these years. Without you, we would never have had the motivation to keep going for this long. We never expected the anime scene to grow up to what it is today and we will continue being a part of it, only in the background this time.

The closing of Baka-Updates does not affect our sister site MangaUpdates. It will continue to operate as normal.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
A few I remember were justdubs where I started watching anime like trigun, deathnote and trinity blood and then there was animecrazy and animefreak for when I moved on to subbed anime.
Animefreak was the first anime website I ever used lol