Do you like to use brain when reading?

How much brain power needed for an ideal story?

• None Nada; I loved wish-fulfilment and face-slapping

• Gearing Up; Rule of Cool ruled but brain-dead is not cool

• Moderately Ordinary; Common Sense is good sometimes

• Intellectually challenging; Required good attention span and need to think as you read

• Intriguing Complexity; Must not skim and must excercise some mental capibility

• Divine Tale; Second reading is more meaningful and impactful than the first, so on so forth

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member 22388

If the story is basic-advance style I can read it(language is understandably easy)

The ones with very high writing style that includes all senses are the ones I avoid. Because its a real headache and too complex.

My inner-consciousnes really loves characters way of talking and how they do their way in life. They are the people I can't forget. But... its a sad thing that I have bad memory, therefore I can only remember them a piece whether the action or simply dialogues or personality

TotallyHuman

For me, I'm down for complexity and in-depth explanation for world-building and grand schemes. It's a kind of a ride that left you exhausted once you finished it, but also imprinted your mind with an unforgettable mark that would stick in your mind long after the story ended.

I knew that my taste is unique, and so, I asked you, common readers of web novels, if you found an ideal novel for you, how complex would it be?
Just complex enough to be engaging on the first read. I mean, if I wanted something deep and requiring lots of attention, I'd be reading textbooks on quantum mechanics

SaddyStorm

I like a lead with common sense having a 'normal' reaction to the absurdity of the surroundings and cliché moments. It almost never gets old I guess.(。・ω・。)ノ♡

CCmei

Is it too pandering/crowed pleasing to say they're all good in their own ways? (though for my personal preference I can't do 'none/nada'- it hurts my common sense too much).

Ideally, I would like to fill my library up with Divine Tales, the most beautiful of mental journeys. There's a reason why so many novels and types of contents exist. We all want different things at different times. I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying some 'junk' food once in a while. For most days you enjoy a decent homemade meal, some days you go nicer/fancier, sometimes you even go out to eat some fine dining. But once in a while maybe you just want to web novel version of an addicting bag of chips.

kiaretts

I'd like to point out that common sense should be applicable even in intellectually challenging instances. The difficulty lays in making unpredictable something that actually lands in the realm of sensible development. I like to stretch my brain. The best is when your common sense gets spun and tangled and carried through the story, so that, in the end, what should leave you rightfully confused makes just perfect sense, because you correctly followed the clues given by the story. Then the pressure in your head opens up, like you're breaking the shell that has prevented you to find the solution until now, and it's such a satisfying feeling!

What I absolutely detest is when the author tries to play me for a complete idiot, to make me believe something completely predictable and unoriginal is some incredible new never-seen-before literary device. Or when the same solution is used repeatedly again and again.

The authors obviously have it cut for themselves, and they are very passionate about their works, as it should be. I'm in love with those that manage to stimulate me, especially because it is somewhat difficult to surprise me after so many stories (I usually predict a great deal of plot when it's well made, when I don't it's because it's that stellar, or it doesn't take me, or because it's just about useless jibberish). But the best feeling is not when, say, the culprit of such-and-such crime is the last expected person, the one you'd never even considered, it's when you are led to the solution without realizing it, and you feel so smart because of it (when you're actually not that much, because you were in fact led there).

The point is, good authors that make your brain work are that amazing 💗💗💗💗

udin-san

I don't know if this is the answer you want but the way I usually read is I try to visualize/imagine the scene/story that the book is trying to tell, whether it be an action scene or just a simple conversation. So the most essential thing the book needs is to be clear in delivering the story and not confusing. Does that make sense to you?
To me, using my brain while reading means that the story has a complex and overarching plot. But that doesn't make the story good if I can't visualize/imagine the scene clearly. Even the simplest plot can be enjoyable too.

Yiphen

Chaotic Lil' Demon
I have this habit where I like to use my brain when reading stories. It's not enough to go full congressman on them, but enough to say "did you just try to tell me 2+2=5?"

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
Although I can live off tuna for a year (maybe more, haven't tried), I would rather not. Other choices are available.

Same with stories. I can go for braintwisters. I can settle for those meant for airheads. Also, those in between if you know what I mean.

What I eat, what I read, and when I sleep depend on my mood. It's all good. Really.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Motherfucker I don't even like to use my brain when I'm living.