Do you listen to music when you write?

WanderingRei

I do listen to music while writing, its help relax and not get myself bored before finished.
Here some of my current favorite in my playlist
  • Opal - Adolf Nomura
  • Shelter - Porter Robinson
  • High On Life - Martin Garrix
  • Until The End - Soda Sphere Remix
  • 『White Spell』- Heaven Burns Red
  • Carol of the bells - Lindsey Stirling
  • クライマキナ/CRYMACHINA ost.
mostly chill and relax but sometimes i need to wake myself up

Last edited:

LilRora

Mostly formless
I've discovered that setting the mood often helps with writing some scenes, particularly emotional ones. Music helps with that, and I often listen to some when writing.

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
Usually I listen to it while taking a walk and think up ideas then, but allow my brain the quiet time to write.

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
No, I like to write in total darkness, only the screen and the low humming of my fan.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Absolutely, usually some atmospheric music classical or ambience just to get me in the mood of whatever scene it is I'm trying to write. Sometimes I'll listen to different genres of music like battle music or metal for big fight scenes but I rarely listen to music with words while writing.

RinDes

Always. Music is an essential tool for me: I'll usually stick to ambience tracks when composing original stories, and specific soundtracks when writing fanfiction. Preferably without lyrics, as it can be distracting, but there are a few exception, especially if I need to write a particular scene.

I might also seek a specific music instrument when focusing on certain dialogue, and descriptive paragraphs. And I times, I even have an ambience track playing simultaneously with another type, such as a heavy storm complemented with some classical music. But Music is always on when writing, and doing art commissions.

ShipTeaser

Only for very specific scenes. Usually it's distracting... But certain high impact scenes call for musical assistance in getting the writing mood right

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Just wanting to know if y'all listen to music while writing a chapter for y'all's story. If so, can y'all post the name of the music you listen to and what kind of music you do listen to?
Stars yes! I listen to all kinds of music, often needing a very particular theme that day to get me going.
Rap (daddyphatsnaps, dizzyeight, halacg, etc.)

rock music and rock-ish music that isn’t really rock (Divide Music, Fabvl, Metallica, AC, My Chemical Romance, Royal and the Serpent, Monsta X, ACE, IDKHBTFM, N.M.E., Set It Off, Skillet, Sigrid, Daughtry, etc.)

doom metal (Jex Thoth)

cutesy music (Twice, Red Velvet, LOONA, LilyPichu, G-Idle, etc.) There are so many I like that I would stick in this section. Now if I only could remember their names. *sigh*

nerdcore with so many genres -anything from jazz to spooky saga to sea shanty to weird kinds of pop to everything else can be found under each artist’s purview - that I can’t be bothered to research and label (CG5, Stupendium, HalaCG, Lollia, Static-P, Cami-Cat, etc) I enjoy them all.

Jazz and old timey music (OR3O, Linda Ronstadt, Frank Sinatra, Mamamoo, David Bowie, etc.)

Miscellaneous Kpop (BTS, CLC, BlackPink, etc)

Miscellaneous Indie/relaxing folklore (Cavetown, Conan Gray, Addison Grace, The Crane Wives, etc.)

Everything under the sun of Gore-Core and disturbing themes (I have at least 100 separate artists under this umbrella. Check out my YouTube playlist Macabre Heaven)

Opera (Phantom of the Opera, Andrea Boccelli, Dinah’s Kudaibergen, etc)

Musicals (Rotten, Wicked, Hamilton, etc)

Emo (AViVA, rebayzz, etc)

I’m probably going to smack my face and groan at 20 different things I forgot, but here you go!

MajorKerina

I just replay tunes in my head whether I want to or not. And then I typically go find the song I’m remembering later and play it at my leisure. I can’t effectively coordinate creativity and listening to music simultaneously. It’s because when I’m doing something I prefer to have my whole attention set on it. I immerse myself. Dialogue needs to be a single channel rather than listening to lyrics which kind of mixes the signals between the spoken stuff. Non-spoken music might work but it would need to be rather low in volume. Oddly enough, if I’m driving, listening to some thing and having some music inside my head that is like the perfect balance for actual creativity to form. So I either need serene nothingness or I need serene balanced chaos.

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
I can only listen to something when my mind is at ease while writing, not because it's distracting, but because noise infuriates me whenever I'm the slightest bit stressed.
So I need silence when a chapter is either hard for me to write or something else bothers me.
But when I do listen to music, which I usually like doing while writing, it has to fit the vibe. There's no "perfect" writing music for me, I'd say.
But when I write certain stories, I like listening to NIN - Closer, the beat just really aligns with my pace somehow.
Other than that,
Neffex - Play Dead,
The Cranberries - Zombie,
Miracle of Sound - Ode to Fury, or
Sam Tinnesz - Legends are Made.

whitewoman

i find good hiphop lets me enter that flow state to write yknow

Chrono157

I like to write with basically any type of music. I just play whatever music I am in the mood for and start writing. Most of the time, I don't even know what song is playing, I just know that some type of music is being played. For the most part, I like listening to orchestral, piano, or vocal remixes of game music.

Kuropon

Always, but that mostly because of my condition of getting annoyed by other sounds in the envoirement too much for me to be able to focus.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
Most times I just play a YouTube video in the background that doesn't need much attention
But music gives me a lot of inspiration, with the sounds and the lyrics, I had a lot of ideas because of music. There's like two characters that exist only because I imagined them when I was listening