Do you still have hope of becoming a professional writer without a degree backing you up?

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
what degree
It can be interpreted in many ways, it's up to you. As long as it answers the question. You can assume it's not Creative Writing, but a totally unrelated profession but still wants to pursue professionalism in writing. The question is quite relative. Preferably, I want to hear answers coming from experience.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
It can be interpreted in many ways, it's up to you. As long as it answers the question. You can assume it's not Creative Writing, but a totally unrelated profession but still wants to pursue professionalism in writing. The question is quite relative. Preferably, I want to hear answers coming from experience.

Ah, I see. This is a postmodernist thread. Well played.
Heh, tbh it's quite funny how many people answered the thread without asking what kinda degree are we even talking about here.

Omnifarious

Die for those who live; Live for those who died.
This is a postmodernist thread.
WHAT IS A CHAIR?!?!

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Yeah, sure, I mean... It's my dream to make a living from writing, so why shouldn't I work towards it?

If it fails, it fails, I'll work with plan B then, but I'm not giving up without trying first.

Granted, I do have my translation job consuming most of my work hours, as I need to pay my bills, but I still try to organize my schedule to put time for writing in it, since I won't make my dream a reality otherwise.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Do you still have hope of becoming a professional writer without a collegiate degree backing you up?
Why would you need a degree to be a professional writer, though? That's two completely unrelated premise. A degree doesn't automatically make you a better author. It just means you learn it and are qualified to teach it in school and college.

Unless there's something Ai-chan doesn't understand? Sorry, Ai-chan is lacking in chocolate. Give Ai-chan all your chocolates, you crazy people!