Do you think Scribblehub should ban ai generated novels?

CubicleHermit

Depends on the AI, and the context windows are getting larger all the time. Claude is the clear leader there, with their paid version able to get to 200k tokens or somewhere between 125-150k words. Without further prompting, it's a lot more analytical and a lot less creative than ChatGPT, so I'm not sure how much you'd ever want to use text it generated, but I've found it super-useful as an editor - I was able to dump in my entire WIP and ask it "where do you see inconsistencies?" and similar questions.

nemonusquam_

Ai art has taken over places such as devianart and other sites have chosen too regulate ai art or outright ban it, with Novelai becoming such a big trend do you believe that future novels which are generated with the use of sites such as Novelai should be banned or should they just be marked as being written by ai?

Whether one is for or against AI, like other technologies, it is here to stay.
So let's focus on honing our craft and telling a well-made story, and we'll be alright. There is an infinite amount of stories to be told, and your unique point of view cannot be replicated by a machine!

Branwen_Cielocanto

While I have no interest in reading "AI"-generated stories, I think that banning them would be pointless, as it would just lead to people posting them while pretending that they actually wrote the stories themselves(similar to what many are doing with "AI art"). There absolutely should be a required tag for such stories, though, so that they can be filtered out.

Lysander_Works

Can we somehow use AI to auto-detect if AI generated stories have ripped off too much of a specific SH author, and do so by only using that scanner on stories that are tagged as AI generated? If we're not going to ban it, I'd feel more comfortable making it easier to create a countermeasure for people who may try to copy too much material from any specific person and pose it as their own.

> Yes, I know that's not entirely how AI novels work. But I do feel that it would attract more of a crowd of people who would use the AI gen tag as a means of hiding outright plagiarism/piracy.
Maybe there is a system already in place that scans for that and I just don't know about it, but anyone who says it never-ever happens and don't worry about, don't be surprised if it shows up not long after AI stories invade these spaces, even if most of us ignore them.

greyliliy

The site content guidelines already don't allow stories primarily written with AI, which I appreciate.

Sadly, like AO3, I don't think there is a way to bam it without taking out legitimate works since moat detection software is useless.

I personally think generating stories with AI defeats the purpose of writing and sharing works, especially when the flood of it is ruining marketplaces like Amazon and putting publishers out of business: https://www.bardsandsages.com/closure-announcement.html

(I wish I could use the formatting features on mobile...)