Does anyone read long running cultivation stories?

RootBeerBert

Was definitely popular growing up
When I first discovered cultivation novels on NU I got pretty shocked by how many chapters were written for most of them. And even more shocked by the reviews that read hundreds of chapters of the novels. I personally have read hundreds of chapters of cultivation stories when I was younger but those were just manhua with, in most cases, short chapters. So I’m wondering if anyone here has read hundreds of chapters of these novels, and if so why? And how was the experience?

Maldon

Yeh, I've read a few stories with hundreds or even 1000+ chapters before, there's some really good ones like lord of the mysteries, but I know 90%+ of them aren't any good.

I like having something to read when I have nothing else going on, and that's about it.

Zeeksi

I've read a few 4k chapter novels, (world defying dan god, dragon-marked war god n some others) and it's not that challenging if you like the content. It's not challenging to understand or decipher the prose so you're able to just absorb most of the chapter contents through skimming, when you're reading 50-150 chapters in a day then you sort of need to be in a 'flow'.

ddrhckrzz

I've read quite a lot, but mostly in genres not too focused in cultivation or martial arts. They can be fun to just "turn your brain off" while reading or just to kill time in general.

Longest I've read is Reincarnation of the Strongest Sword God though.

Layenlml

Martial God Asura... remembering it is hard, most of the fight were 'Im going to use my lvl8 skill' and the enemy also has a lvl8 one and then goes to 9, 10, etc... and secret powerup technique and... you get it, mostly useless things that you won't remember due to how lame they are combined with weird long ass names that you will never hear about after the next longass name technique or weapon comes.

The most powerful weapon of novels that are so long is how the world and then universe expands and the possibilities, and the character development of someone who you spent thousands of chapters reading about and saw change slowly

Last edited:

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
When I first discovered cultivation novels on NU I got pretty shocked by how many chapters were written for most of them. And even more shocked by the reviews that read hundreds of chapters of the novels. I personally have read hundreds of chapters of cultivation stories when I was younger but those were just manhua with, in most cases, short chapters. So I’m wondering if anyone here has read hundreds of chapters of these novels, and if so why? And how was the experience?
How long is long

BlackKnightX

Cultivation novel? No. Other types of novel? Yes.

I’ve actually read a lot of novels with hundreds of chapter. But, they‘re usually not xianxia or Chinese cultivation novel, more like the usual isekai power fantasy type—like So I'm a Spider, So What? which I think has more than 500 chapters.

Also, one of my favorite: NEET Receives a Dating Sim System, which I think has around 700-800 chapters. I’ve only read it until around chapter 600-700 though, since I don’t really like how the story progresses at that point. But it’s still pretty good over all.

Other novels I’ve read are just the usual Japanese and Korean isekai with more than 100 chapters but less than 500.

D

Deleted member 54065

Meanwhile, there's me @ 285 chaps planned for arcs 1-3. (Actual count is already @ 241 chapters written)

meme-monkey.gif

Longest (chapter wise) that I read is Mushoku Tensei (or Shield Bro? I can't remember). For MT, I felt homesick when I finished that. For Shield Bro, well...it's a so-so, but it's good.

Longest that I read (volume wise) is Zero no Tsukaima. I felt empty after reading that...I mean a good kind of empty. 😂

As for my work, I'm capping @ either 400 or 500 chaps. Then proceed with side stories and other stuff, before going for another series.

Last edited by a moderator:

TotallyHuman

I've read some long stories before. There are great long-running stories amongst webnovels. Like Worm, for example

ThockyKeyboard

I tried it once, reading a really long running cultivation novel... And obviously I'm an impatient idiot so I just skimmed parts, and if I missed anything I'll go back and reread it. Obviously I totally forgot the name of the book and what the story is in record time. Since I have a bad memory.

But wait is your long running based on the amount of chapters? Or the amount of words in the story? Cause am pretty sure that I finished heaven's official blessings that's around 700k words...

RootBeerBert

Was definitely popular growing up
I tried it once, reading a really long running cultivation novel... And obviously I'm an impatient idiot so I just skimmed parts, and if I missed anything I'll go back and reread it. Obviously I totally forgot the name of the book and what the story is in record time. Since I have a bad memory.

But wait is your long running based on the amount of chapters? Or the amount of words in the story? Cause am pretty sure that I finished heaven's official blessings that's around 700k words...
Amount of chapters

ThockyKeyboard

Amount of chapters
Yeah the one I tried reading is around 700 chapters, and it was quite trippy. There's smut and everything. BL. All the forbidden stuff. I dunno why I read it in the first place? But it's one of the books with the most readers? So I got curious.

K_Jira

The most I read is around 700 chapters called The Legendary Master's Wife. It's the story that taught me the most what cultivation is all about. But I don't think I can do it again. It took me almost a week to finish it. Less than 300 chapters are the max for me

Kenjona

I have, several thousands of chapters. But that was when I was first getting into it, and I had NOTHING else to read for free.

SailusGebel

I've finished Wu Dong Qian Kun\Martial Universe, all 1300 chapters of it. Why did I do it? Well, first of all, there was a manga drought, and I've only read manga at that time. The only light novel I've read was OreGairu. When I stumbled upon the manhua version of Wu Dong Qian Kun I thought it was interesting, something new, as I haven't read a single cultivation story before. Reading comments on the manhua version, I saw that the manhua is based on a web novel, and I decided to give it a try. I found a fan who translated it to my native language, not English, and it was fun reading it. Yeah, I skipped paragraphs that repeated themselves, I was somewhat bored here and there, but as this was my first time reading such a story, overall, I found it fresh and interesting. The chapters translated to my native language ended, and I was forced to continue reading it at wuxiaworld. Not only was it a first web novel, a first cultivation story, but it was also a first-ever story that I've read in English. And by the time I caught up with an English translation, I was somewhat bored and disappointed with the repetitiveness, but at the same time, it was almost the end of the novel. I wanted to see the ending.

The manga drought didn't end, and I needed something to do. So, I decided to try to read another novel. ATG, Against the Gods. People on the site with a translation(to my native language) of Wu Dong Qian Kun kept praising this novel(ATG). I didn't know about Novel Updates, so I tried reading it based on reviews of those people, and I liked it. Honestly, I don't remember how many chapters were translated at the time, but I think it was around a thousand. I've finished reading them in one go, and to this day, I wait for how the story will end. I'm at chapter 1926, and I want to see the ending.

After catching up with the translation of ATG, I found out about NU and started reading other web and light novels. After reading more, I understand that Wu Dong Qian Kun and ATG are not great. However, when I was reading them back then, without any prior experience, I thought they were great.

Release that Witch is almost 1500 chapters, and I finished reading. It was an enjoyable read.

Not so long ago, I was reading City of Sin. City of Sin has 1400 chapters. I've read maybe 1200\1300 chapters and stopped at the final arc. I probably won't finish it. Though it was slightly above average, the ending arc is too boring.

aattss

I remember reading, like, over 1000 chapters of Invincible before losing interest. That aside, I haven't made it that far in other Chinese WNs before losing interest, and non-Chinese WNs tend to have fewer chapters due to not have a daily upload schedule which might explain why I'm reading more of them due to more consistent quality.