Dream sequences.

• Thread starter Deleted member 43864
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43864

I already know that I will be including a dream sequence within my story later on and it's a crucial part to the plot and being so it's a fairly lengthy piece (at least a quarter of the chapter)
The advice I would like is would you italicize the dream sequence to make it stand out from the rest or not?

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
I already know that I will be including a dream sequence within my story later on and it's a crucial part to the plot and being so it's a fairly lengthy piece (at least a quarter of the chapter)
The advice I would like is would you italicize the dream sequence to make it stand out from the rest or not?
I usually do that. It lets the reader know that it is a different phase in the story.

LotsChrono

I usually don't.

Usually, I make it obvious through the phrasing of 'the world blurred' or 'the world blurred back', and things to that affect. Though, perhaps my way won't work, because what occurs to my character is something more akin to 'old memories smashing into her'.

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
I wouldn't do it. Just shift the dream into a chapter. The simple reason is not having the flexibility to emphasize in the passage. How would you do this?

I feel it stands out for worse. Perhaps if within a chapter. Most authors just don't bother. An example would be from "The Unbearable Lightness of Being". Some dreams are just left there without even an explanation of whether it is a dream or not. If you typeface the dream, you don't have this possibility anymore.

D

Deleted member 43864

I wouldn't do it. Just shift the dream into a chapter. The simple reason is not having the flexibility to emphasize in the passage. How would you do this?

I feel it stands out for worse. Perhaps if within a chapter. Most authors just don't bother. An example would be from "The Unbearable Lightness of Being". Some dreams are just left there without even an explanation of whether it is a dream or not. If you typeface the dream, you don't have this possibility anymore.
Now I did originally think of making it a chapter on its own. But then thought it might not be long enough to do that.

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
Now I did originally think of making it a chapter on its own. But then thought it might not be long enough to do that.
Extend it. Tell us about why the dream is unnerving or otherwise for the character. Show us how the character reacts. Does the character realize this is a dream? Can they manipulate it? What sort of thoughts will the character have after it wakes up?

D

Deleted member 43864

Extend it. Tell us about why the dream is unnerving or otherwise for the character. Show us how the character reacts. Does the character realize this is a dream? Can they manipulate it? What sort of thoughts will the character have after it wakes up?
Thank you 😊

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
If the dream is only a small part of the chapter, sure, it's your style.

If the dream is the entire chapter or is longer than 500 words, don't do it.

You see, italics is used to emphasize the strangeness of something. Like for example, a Spanish term in an English composition. Or a single word that is intentionally put there which is out of place, but is put there to emphasize the weirdness of the situation. Or to imply a different tone, mayhaps even a sarcastic remark in an otherwise, common prose.

When you italicize the whore chapter, it's not longer emphasizing anything. If anything, it makes the reader's brain tired. There's a reason why fictions are written in plain serif fonts while book covers are written in fancy fonts. Too much styling in the text makes your brain use up extra processing power.

You do not want to give your readers headache from the font. Using too much font styling is the free demerits that you could've easily avoided by actually not doing it. Use your prose to provide a dreamlike, weird experience of a dream. Don't take the easy way out of italisizing the entire chapter.