Early life of immortals / long lived species

rain-090

What would/should the early life of long lived species/immortals be?

Do they age like a normal human to a certain point then stop? Do they age slowly and spend a long time as Fetus and as babies? Or do they just pop out of a magic source as fully developed?

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
It depends on the species and world building.

Elves usually age slowly, to the point they aren't considered adult until they turn 100 or so.

Some continue to age even after they become adults, turning into old bags of wrinkly flesh like Yoda. Dragons usually fall into this category too, oddly.

Some stop aging the moment they become immortal like Vampires.

And yeah, things like Fairies are usually never children to begin with.

So, you need to understand the reason your creature is immortal and pick a method that suits it. You may also want to consider the culture and such of your creatures before deciding.

Elves have a mostly human culture, but they isolate and adore their children so they have time to grow up.

Creatures born as adults don't understand what it means to be children, for better or for worse.

Vampires might be willing to foster a human for decades before finally turning them.

Did you have a specific goal in asking this?

rain-090

Well, are they immortal from the start, like as soon as they were born?
As soon as they are born

For those who receive immortality later on usually stop the aging process right then and there

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
As soon as they are born

For those who receive immortality later on usually stop the aging process right then and there
I think they still follow the general way of aging for their species. Elves usually keep their young appearance despite being hundreds of years old. But I'm keen to believe that once they reach the age where their body is at their peak, they stop growing.

Because what's the use of immortality if your weak af?

rain-090

I think they still follow the general way of aging for their species. Elves usually keep their young appearance despite being hundreds of years old. But I'm keen to believe that once they reach the age where their body is at their peak, they stop growing.

Because what's the use of immortality if your weak af?
What about the growth aspect? Are they practically babies for like 20 years?

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Yes. They stay in the womb for over 2 years too. Elephants are a good real-world example. Though comparing humans to less developed primates might be a better comparison.

Layenlml

I remember reading something like this in how dogs age and the belief that they age 1:7 ratio compared to us, basically they age like 50 years (for us) super fast on their first years of life and then they age the rest slowly.

You can go for accelerated growth at first the slow it down until stopping it complety.

I don't remember the numbers but it was something like that.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Or you can have them grow at the same rate as humans and stop aging once reaching 25~30 (the supposed peak of human growth)

I mean, do you really want a legal loli/ shota in your hand?

One thing I like for an example are the sages in Reincarnator, by three years old the species of intelligent men have matured but their life expectency is only 30 or 60. These hyper-intelligent men then made bodies for their minds to possess so that they can live a non-frail life.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I mean, do you really want a legal loli/ shota in your hand?
Those wouldn't be legal lolis. It would take them longer to develop mental maturity as well as physical maturity, so they would just be normal children.

Agentt

Thighs
Alright, people here have written all good things, so I am goinf to write something controversial.

It won't matter much.

I mean, you really aren't going to write about their entire childhood, so it doesn't matter if it's 12 years or 50 years, just give highlights.

rain-090

Alright, people here have written all good things, so I am goinf to write something controversial.

It won't matter much.

I mean, you really aren't going to write about their entire childhood, so it doesn't matter if it's 12 years or 50 years, just give highlights.
It matters for things like culture, a race is going to act differently if it takes 50 years to raise a child

Agentt

Thighs
It matters for things like culture, a race is going to act differently if it takes 50 years to raise a child
Would it? The difference would only be
Humans: Get out of the house! You are 20! Go get a job!
Elves: Get outof the tree! You are 500! Go start working in the fields

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
What would/should the early life of long lived species/immortals be?

Do they age like a normal human to a certain point then stop? Do they age slowly and spend a long time as Fetus and as babies? Or do they just pop out of a magic source as fully developed?
They probably age like a normal human then stop aging when they reach their 20s imo