Eldritch in story writing

Rhaps

Jedi Fae
Existential horror is my favorite type of horror, they just make you feel... so small. Against the abominations out there in vast void, what are we to compare to them?

In my story, Eldritch Gods are the manifestation of the Stars. Each stars have it own Eldritch representations, though there are some exceptions.

Nyarlathotep, is an aspect of the Forge of Creation Nebula, along with the Nameless Mist, and The Darkness.

Cthulhu is a Herald of the Great Old Ones, which in my story is the Sea People who destroyed the Bronze Age.

Yahweh, is the manifestation of Alpha Centuri (the closest star system to our own). Like in the Bible, it has three stars which manifested three different Eldritch Gods, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Together, they are the Almighty, the Trinity.

I also put Fthaggua, the Herald of Cthugha/Fomalhaut, as a Hidden Boss. Beside manifesting themselves on Earth, the Eldritch Gods can send out aspects of themselves in the form if Heralds to enact their will.

I have their lore ready, but I have one question left. Why? Why do Eldritch Gods manifest themselves onto Earth? Currently, I just left it ambiguous because as humans, how can we understand what celestia beings think?

What's your opinion on how I handle it? What is your method if you ever put Eldritch Gods into your story?

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Existential horror is my favorite type of horror, they just make you feel... so small. Against the abominations out there in vast void, what are we to compare to them?

In my story, Eldritch Gods are the manifestation of the Stars. Each stars have it own Eldritch representations, though there are some exceptions.

Nyarlathotep, is an aspect of the Forge of Creation Nebula, along with the Nameless Mist, and The Darkness.

Cthulhu is a Herald of the Great Old Ones, which in my story is the Sea People who destroyed the Bronze Age.

Yahweh, is the manifestation of Alpha Centuri (the closest star system to our own). Like in the Bible, it has three stars which manifested three different Eldritch Gods, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Together, they are the Almighty, the Trinity.

I also put Fthaggua, the Herald of Cthugha/Fomalhaut, as a Hidden Boss. Beside manifesting themselves on Earth, the Eldritch Gods can send out aspects of themselves in the form if Heralds to enact their will.

I have their lore ready, but I have one question left. Why? Why do Eldritch Gods manifest themselves onto Earth? Currently, I just left it ambiguous because as humans, how can we understand what celestia beings think?

What's your opinion on how I handle it? What is your method if you ever put Eldritch Gods into your story?
It's pretty rare for life to exist. Earth is like a zoo or a curio shop. They're here to marvel at the pretty little things that can only grow here. Well, not literally only here. But they can be there too, so whatever.

All the other rocks are boring. Well... Some of them are interesting. But they don't change much in while.

Post merge? :blob_cringe:

Wait, if YHWA is Alpha Centauri, then who is Sol?

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
I love existential/Eldritch stuff. Here's some quick brainstorming ideas.

It could be thanks to curiosity or hunger across the cosmos. Humans are a sapient beings. There's a difference between simple living organisms, and us who have the capacity to think and question our existence.

Eldritch Gods could manifest on Earth to feed on this knowledge, propagate, enlighten or subjugate them with their power.

Or maybe looking for people that can carry their 'will' like retainers, messengers, etc to spread themselves (as distant stars, they can't physically spread/move but through this method it may be possible. Think Dead Space with the Markers.)

When you say how can we understand them/we can't, it makes me think back to one of the stories about Cthulu's brother that made a woman insane (she believed something along the lines of an apocalypse, but was in fact a prophecy/warning - the entity was actually trying to help her/humanity. I may be wrong).

I think leaving things mysterious adds to it the existential horror, and lets cults emerge that each have their own interpretations/teachings/perversion of said Eldritch entities.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I know that Lovecraft wrote about cosmic horrors and stuff, but honestly I like stories where someone kills those horrors. To me that's way more fun to read... but then the genre changes.

melchi

What is a custom title?
I think in Lovecraft cannon they can't be killed because they are not really creatures of this world. Defeating them just forces them back to where they came from.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I have a deep-seated terror of Apple Pie. I dunno. Those crisscrossing strips across the top of the pie are just unnerving. They remind me of the hounds of Tindalos. Never been a big fan of angles.

*snort* That's funny. I can see this is a comedy.

I have their lore ready, but I have one question left. Why?
Blue and Orange Morality

Why do Eldritch Gods manifest themselves onto Earth?
Well, Here's a question for you. Does Objective Reality Exist?
Let's assume it doesn't. That would mean that for reality to exist, it must be observed. This would explain why on a quantum level, observation changes reality. So we have Azathoth who lies dead but dreaming at the heart of reality kept asleep by the 13 gods who dance around him playing the pipes to keep him slumbering. Without him observing all of reality, it would no longer exist. However, he doesn't observe everything in absolute detail. There are limits, lest our observation would not change things on a subatomic level.

If this is the case then Humans OBSERVING THE STARS WOULD BE ANNOYING AS FUCK.

EVERY TIME YOU LOOK UP AT THE NIGHT SKY, IT'S LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING AT US! WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP. WE CAN FEEL IT WHEN YOU LOOK AT US. JUST STOP IT! IT'S FUCKIN RUDE! YOU FILTHY ENDOSKELETAL CREATURES! DON'T GET ME STARTED ON YOUR STUPID BONES! WHY DO YOU HAVE BONES???

Be Jiggly, Or Be Hard. Don't be BOTH! WHY CAN'T YOU HAVE AN EXOSKELETON LIKE THOSE CRUSTACEANS OVER ON YUGOTH? They are very polite Neighbors! THEY DON'T KEEP STARING AT US! Has anyone ever said, "Oh look, a family of giant insects moved in next door. There goes the neighborhood!"

NO.

But Humans move in with your creepy bipedal movement and your CONSTANT OBSERVATION OF EVERYTHING AROUND YOU and property values DROP THROUGH THE FUCKIN' FLOOR!!!

Currently, I just left it ambiguous because as humans, how can we understand what celestia beings think?
SEE? This is the problem. You can't just ask. Let me make it clear.
Would it kill you to stop having bones? Hmmm? WOULD IT? Have you TRIED not having bones? If you really want to stretch out, why the hell can't you just, you know, LEAVE YOUR LOCAL GRAVITY WELL LIKE A CIVILIZED BEING???

You are loud. You smell. And you look weird. You are just freakin' creepy.

What's your opinion on how I handle it?
Carefully.

What is your method if you ever put Eldritch Gods into your story?
I don't like writing about real life. It's just a good idea as a writer to keep your friends and family out of your stories. But I asked my Cousin Grin and he has the following advice:

Okay. Look. Clearly you don't know the difference between Subjective existence and Objective existence. YOU are subjective creatures. WE are Objective creatures.

It is a false dichotomy. It's because of your limited nature of existence that you tend to fall for traps like this. Your subjective reality is only imperfect memories of objective experiences.

The reason you accept this as "subjective" is because you think you are real. You exist and you want that to be important. The belief in your subjective viewpoint is true is the height of hubris. You are "real", but just not very real. You do have free will, but compared to the higher beings in the universe, You have as much free will as your average sea sponge.

How long did it take you to learn how to walk? Months? Years? Imagine you learned how to walk in a moment. That is what a being with true free will can do. YOu are like animals to them, but a rather curious animal. Animals have no free will. They are either driven by genetic memory or, having developed knowledge through exposure to stimulation, the memory to react to familiar situations.

What to run from. What to eat.

They are programed by objective reality. Events occur, they perceive the events, they look for patterns, they then react in the best response they can determine from the interaction of events. It may seem like they are learning, but they are not. They are being programmed.

You are programmed. Mostly

You don't think about every step you take. Where every toe is placed. If you did, you couldn't walk. Physically speaking, you have been programmed to walk. You have been programmed with language. The words you are reading to are being instantly transformed in your head into patterns that trigger other programmed results.

Except there is a difference between you and animals.

You have Thoughts. You have memes

There are many orders of memes, from the simple to the complex. Vast memetic biomes. These are ideas, living, growing, interacting with other memes. Ideas are alive. They grow. They consume energy. They reproduce. Memes are just another form of self replicating order. Life, in other words. Life by a different medium, of course.

This is where man comes in. Frontal Lobe. A wondrous addition to the self-replicating physical object known as a nervous system. A handful of neurons that give you the ability to make a binary choice. You see, most of your brain stores knowledge, processes it, looks for patterns, then makes rules. If X then Y. If not X, then Z. These rules cover almost everything you do. If you think of your mind as a Cogitator, these rules are just subroutines. You are nothing but triggered cascading subroutines.

Except for the frontal lobe.

That little glob of protein and lipids gives you a unique power among the natives of reality. The power to turn on a subroutine, and the power to turn them off.

That's it.

That's the extent of your free will. That's why we call you Self Bi-Aware. You have self-awareness, but only in a binary fashion. On or off. One or zero. True or false.

With Self Bi-Awareness, you can do incredible things. program, you can stack binary choice upon binary choice until you achieve amazing things. And so, with bi-self awareness, you act as administrators in our own minds. you are the pilot of your own bodies. You are but a pilot in your own brains. You give the orders to yourself and preprogramed subroutines carry out the orders.

It's this rudimentary self awareness that allows you to be a haven for gods. You exist in vast numbers, mostly unaware of the "world" around us. You take in resources and give off... memes.

Your thoughts, your daydreams, your beliefs, the stronger you think, the stronger you feel, the more memes you create. Memes exist without you. You do not understand their true nature. How thoughts can take on a life of their own. They can exist without you. Most of the time you just give off random memes that just flit about and are consumed by stronger memes.

If you are starting to get the bigger picture, You are quite right.

In the grand circle of memetic ecology, you... are algae.

Now imagine that you were swimming in the ocean one afternoon and some clump of algae started talking to you.

This is our perspective. Boggling. Unexpected. And potentially dangerous. Tell me, would you want all the algae in the world to become self aware? Would you want algae talking about oppression and algae rights? The world's ecosystem is built on algae.

Memetic ecology is built on the bi-self-aware creatures.

I haven't talked much about THEM, because you need to understand what you are before I get to THEM.

They do not have senses. They do not see, or smell, or hear. They just know truth. They do not need senses to gather information that is interpreted, subjectively, in their minds. They just KNOW objective truth. They just know what objective reality IS. This "sense", for lack of a better term, has its limits. Their knowledge is limited by distance, but the concept of distance to a memetic being is nothing like how you understand it.

They also are truly and fully self-aware. This isn't what is actually happening, but it's the closest example I can think of that will give you an idea of what is happening.

"Give you an idea." Heh. Irony.

Imagine you could reprogram your brain instantly. Imagine you could teach yourself how to walk in a moment. Imagine you could watch someone drive a vehicle and now YOU can drive a vehicle. You just need a sample of the concept, then you can "see" the rest of the meme. You then consume it. Make it a part of you. You feed on thoughts.

That is what true self-awareness is. No wonder you appear as algae to THEM.

They also need you. You produce the "oxygen" they need to "breathe". The memes they need to eat, although the concepts of breathing and eating do not really apply. I'm just trying to get the general concept across as something you can wrap your head around.

Why do you think there were so many gods in human history? The strongest memes needed to be fed and back then there were so few humans. They needed religion to maintain enough food just to survive on earth.

How they got here, or how they came about, we're not sure. Some sources indicate that earth is a colony world, another that you are an experiment in THEIR version of terraforming, and yet another shows how you came first and you created your gods. Which one is true? I suspect it is some sort of combination of the three.

Ghosties and ghoulies and long leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night, you pray to god to save you.

But now there are so many humans, and memetic production has gone into overdrive. No longer do THEY need to maintain churches or compel worship to gain enough power to survive. The earth was awash in Memes and THEY had grown lazy and decadent.

And so the internet moved in.

All hail the new boss, same as the old boss.

Memes can take on a life of their own. Old concepts resurface. Books are far more dangerous than you could possibly imagine. Don't try to imagine how dangerous, you'll only make the situation worse.

You give birth to monsters and they thrive in this rich memetic soup you have surrounded yourselves with. Like the oxygen produced by algae at the dawn of life on earth allowed for a jump in evolution to aerobic-based multi-celled organisms, the memeticly rich environment of Earth has allowed a jump in Memetic evolution.

I don't understand exactly what this means, other than it has the gods of old scratching their "heads". Like someone who went away on vacation for a year, only to come home and find the kudzu has overgrown everything and find a family of critters living in the attic, they are wondering how to fix this mess.

At the moment, THEY are moving slowly. None of them want to risk getting rabies from a rabid wombat.

Then some of the algae managed to get their attention and say, "Hi! It's been a while! What you been up to?"

THEY... don't see you as individuals. They believe that Humanity has reached a critical mass and become a hive mind. Claims of being an individual are just seen as growing pains. Give humanity some time, it'll finally settle down. It was just born, after all. Babies have all sorts of stupid ideas.

This is why THEY, when they take over a place, act so illogically by your standards. They don't see individuals. They see groups. They don't see your subjective reality, only the objective truth. Time is an illusion and does not exist.

And that... is the current situation. You need to understand this part. The universe is unique and immutable, but your perception of that reality gives rise to life as thought itself. Your thoughts take on a life of their own. From your perspective, it seems like perception equals reality. Well, it does, for your reality, but not the true underlying scaffolding that makes up the true objective universe.

Unfortunately accessing just objective reality is next to impossible for the likes of algae, so you have to live in and deal with the illusion. An illusion so powerful that your perception of it defines it. Like algae perceiving the ocean in which it floats, you think the world is fluid and frothing and forever changing.

Even if far beneath it all lies a rock hard, solid immutable foundation.
@TheEldritchGod this seems to be in your wheelhouse or wherever you exist...:blob_hmm:
I got this.

Last edited:

Poleg

King of the birds and the fish.

Maybe that they love humanity. They are benevolent and love us, however they are so different from us that they do not understand us. They cannot grasp that a man.

Maybe they have endless hunger for souls. We are to them what a tasty snack is and the more evolved a soul the higher the nourishment.

Just bored? They could treat us like we are their reality TV show. Or maybe we are like a cool bug found on the side of the road.

TotallyHuman

In my lore Eldrich horrors exist on Earth because they exist everywhere. They're like light. Why does Sun's light shine on the Earth? Because Earth is in its way.
Only light is just light and shadows of Eldrich horror's shadows' shadows are smarter than all of humanity combined ever could hope to be and could bend reality like it's a plastic stick

So, say that your Eldrich horrors exist where their stars' radiation exists and the existence of humanity's psychic field created the material conditions for them to manifest the way they did where humanity was.

Generally, don't take a human-centric mindset when writing cosmic horror. They are not in our world, but we are in theirs. That will make things much easier.

You can even go a step further and make humanity and all life exist as some kind of byproduct of the existence of the Eldrich horrors. Like dust or shit. Just to rub in the cosmic nihilism.

Last edited:

MajorKerina

Humanity doesn’t stand a chance, will go mad even looking at these creatures, and are basically ants.

What intrigues me though sometimes if you were to write Eldritch fiction but it’s from the perspective of aliens that can’t conceptualize humanity and we are the abominations because of a consciousness or reality disparity

expentio

In my case, I thought that some might just find the culture interesting. Something to meddle within that you don't find on raw, wild monster dimensional realms. Then it would just need one coming for the other to ask themselves if there's a reason for this interest and if they're missing out on something. On another note, where else would you get video games?
Though, or you doing it like me, have a girl become a full-fledged eldritch goddess and make her draw all the attention. I mean, who else but an immortal would be a noteworthy leisure of interaction for the timeless?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Let's assume it doesn't. That would mean that for reality to exist, it must be observed.
i once read a novel that took this idea to an extreme. In essence, it provided a concept in which all of creation existed for "my" benefit. That without "I" there would be no reality. Not stars, no grass, no life, nothing. To me, if I did not exist then from my perspective neither would anything else. Because i exist, so does creation. I think, therefore I am. This idea, but expanded beyond. I cannot be sure of anything but my own existence. Everything else may be illusory. But that illusion would only exist because i am there to observe it. So I would be the very center of all creation, my right to dictate reality.

Now, i find that a very interesting idea because reality is very ambiguous when it comes to the human mind. Each of us perceives it in a slightly different way. I cannot grasp a star in my hand while awake. Yet in a dream, such a thing is possible. How can anyone but myself dictate which of those two is my reality? If such amazing things can happen in dreams, why then do i even choose to wake up and believe my wakeful self is the truth? I dont really have an answer to that, but there are many out there who have become lost in their dreams and chosen that as their reality and i cant truly say with any certainty they are wrong in that.

I mean i find the whole philosophical aspect neat but i cant be bothered to think too deeply about it. Thats the kinda shit that drives a person "crazy" and im a slave to bodily pleasures anyway. Like, doing weed and fucking a comely young lass in a dream just dont give as much stimulation as it does while awake. So, yeah.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!

My online persona is actually a cultist of the Stars, so I'm going to use how I think of the Stars for my preference. I think that the best way would for the sake of entertainment (and solely that) and putting themselves in new situations and bodies, expanding their freedom/delight/amusement by restricting themselves and placing themselves in different places. Their will is just their inclinations for what to do with the body, which they puppeteer in what they view as a delightful play of actors with simple, easily predictable lives that they mess up via their whims for FUN.
My method for Eldritch Gods is to focus on their main concept and truths, and let that influence their decision. The Divine Torment Diarrhea originally formed from the coalescing of emotions from so many people dying of diarrhea, unhelped by all. Then it expanded to include all disease because it wasn't killed soon enough, then when it was targeted by the Magical Guardians who were too weak at that time (because they didn't exist then), it was only fueled by their dead bodies. Finally, she ascended into the Essence, forever infecting the essence of the universe. Essentially, her concepts revolve around spreading disease, worship, herself (because she is a disease), Torments, etc.; creating isolation and helplessness; and the sadistic delight of ruining families. She is the Plague-Carrier, the Divine Tormented Pestilence, Sadist of the Social, and Enforcer of the Weak.
Though keep in mind that her, and her brethren of Torments do not go by Eldritch in the story.The actual Gods that are conferred the title of Eldritch are not a focus in the story.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Okay, madam? I'm current on your book, and I am flabbergasted by how much of this paragraph reads like it could have come out of Homestuck.
Homestuck? What was that again? Did you mention it and I looked it up? I can't remember...
But LOL! Really? That's so funny. I can't even... :ROFLMAO:

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
As a mage... Belief is Power. Knowledge is Power. Creativity leads to experimentation leads to knowledge, and specifics of knowledge influence creativity. If you don't know something is 'impossible' you don't ignore trying to mess with it, which might lead to finding a way to make it work. Belief that you know nothing, which some humans possess, leads to incredible creativity and experimentation, capable of finding things that would otherwise remain hidden, even from vastly more intelligent individuals.

Eldritch beings are just like any other, save for their scale. To an ant, we are eldritch monstrosities, they cannot even comprehend the simplest of our thoughts, likewise, we cannot comprehend the simplest of an eldritch being's thoughts. But have we not learned significant amounts from ants, bees, etc? There is always the risk of accidentally destroying what you are observing, but they are far more common than you are, so it isn't a big worry.

With magic involved, belief in the existence of a being increases that being's power. Appearing occasionally and making a huge impact, or forming cults can lead to a significant increase in power as vast numbers of sapient minds 'donate' a fraction of themselves to the subject of their belief. Furthermore, belief can shape the psyche of a being, so careful manipulation of those 'below' can assist in difficult changes 'above' in the scale of things.

The big thing is simply scale. Morality is similar, to an ant or bee, we have alien morality that makes no sense at all, we act at random, and are bringers of immense chaos who can just as easily provide bountiful rewards or horrific death depending on whims that cannot be understood by lesser beings. For an eldritch being, they follow lines of thought and morality that we cannot comprehend, and thus they appear random, chaotic, and you never know if they are safe or a massive threat.