Ending a speech

Ember_Blood

(1) "How would I know? Maybe you have said something bad to her and that is why she's mad at you [." She] responded nonchalantly, still keeping her eyes closed.

(2)..she's mad at you," she responded..

So I'm always getting confused when to use a comma or fullstop at the end of a speech. I've given an example. So give me some guidance on this topic. How, when and why?

D

Deleted member 57675

(1) "How would I know? Maybe you have said something bad to her and that is why she's mad at you [." She] responded nonchalantly, still keeping her eyes closed.

(2)..she's mad at you," she responded..

So I'm always getting confused when to use a comma or fullstop at the end of a speech. I've given an example. So give me some guidance on this topic. How, when and why?
Do you mean commas in dialogue?

2. Is correct. I think also depends on writing system. I don't remember if british differ a little from american style of writing in terms of punctuation.

1."How would I know? Maybe you have said something bad to her and that is why she's mad at you," She responded nonchalantly, still keeping her eyes closed.

If its the last sentence before "said" or something equivalent, then you replace the period with a comma at the end.

This is if your last sentence in the dialogue is not a question or exlamation stuff. Google to be more sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀