Envy: On Concision

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
🧛‍♀️Preface🧛‍♀️
I never claim to be a writing expert, and I still have much to learn, which is also one of the points of this thread. If you have something to share regarding this topic, please do so. "BUT ENVY, THIS THREAD ISN'T EVEN CONCISE!" Envy doesn't want you here if you are a troll. Stop whining, you shitty brat! :blob_popcorn:
🩸Concision🩸
The goal of concision is to say the fewest words and have the most significant meaning. Long sentences don't make you appear more intelligent; often, they have the opposite effect.

"That's great. How do we be concise? And why is it important?"
⚰️Why is it important?⚰️
Concision means that your...
  • Writing gets straight to the point without beating around the bush.​
  • Impactful moments have more oomph.​
  • Vocabulary is expanded to account for one word, which can fill the role of three.​
  • Writing doesn't feel like a large exposition dump. Note that you can still dump exposition while being concise.​
  • Writing has less "tell." By eliminating redundancy and unnecessary explanations, your writing stops feeling like a "tell."​
  • Readers don't feel like you are calling them stupid. Over-explaining will make intelligent readers feel like you, the author, are calling them dumb.​
  • Readers feel like your writing is more confident.​
🦇How do we be concise?🦇
The simple answer is to cut out extra words, explanations, or phrases that aren't needed.

Anytime you can cut out these words, do it: That, Was, Pretty, Just, etc. The worst offender is just because you can just put it just about anywhere, and it just works. That is also an example many people use too often along with pretty.

Stop using filler words outside of dialogue. Stop writing sentences that try to include as many commas as possible.

Spending too long on explanations and descriptions is also bad. Not only sentences and words. Describe enough so a reader can make a picture with broad strokes in his/her/their head.

The reader needs to use their imagination to fill in many details. Spending too long on more information takes time away from telling the story. Overdescription is the enemy of plot continuation. Any time you take a moment to describe, the plot is stalling.

Most readers will care about your characters and story more than the details that (example of unneeded words) you care about. They pretty much forget those details anyway unless they are important.

:blob_nom:I may update this thread with examples:blob_nom:
Video References: [To be updated...]
@Story_Marc

Important note: This is in general and not a shot at you or anyone else.

Last edited:

NineHeadHeavenDevouringSerpent

Mc dies, wakes up finds system, system helps, mc build harem court (readers count go up), mc stronk! Mc win! Mc become god! Harem too old, mc builds new one. Ok thanks for reading my book guys! It was such a wonderful journey to finish it with all you guys! Don't forget to watch out for my next series "Divine darling empress doctor black belly hunts her general across realms"

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Mc dies, wakes up finds system, system helps, mc build harem court (readers count go up), mc stronk! Mc win! Mc become god! Harem too old, mc builds new one. Ok thanks for reading my book guys! It was such a wonderful journey to finish it with all you guys! Don't forget to watch out for my next series "Divine darling empress doctor black belly hunts her general across realms"
You make a joke, but that is unironically better than spending 1000 chapters reading exposition dumps with the same plot.

SailusGebel

fluffypie374

Reading this post makes me wonder if Envy read my story and wants to put me on a stake to roast. Info dumping, commas, one word that splits into three or more, and just about everything envy mentioned above just loves appearing in almost every line of my novels. Oh no. I feel pretty bad at writing now. I must be a pretty bad example of what was posted above. Pretty sure this post just emphasizes that point further. :blob_sir: