Expanding horizons - Culture

SalivaSpittingWorm

I'm just taking a break from everything today and kind of thought of starting this thread to expand my or your horizons and learn more about the people and their culture.

It's clear to me that a lot of people from a lot of countries come together here and each country has a different mentality, customs, culture and everything. So I would like to share some interesting facts from my home country here and feel free to join in and write your opinions. :)

So.

I'm from Czech Republic - Also otherwise Czechia. (By the way, half of the population hates this new name and so do I)

Some may still think we are Czechoslovakia, but it hasn't been that way since 1992. Czechoslovakia peacefully broke up into two separate states. Czech Republic and Slovakia. If any of you are interested in the details you can try a search under the words "Velvet Revolution"

I'm from Prague, which some of you may have heard of. :)

The majority of people in my country are Atheists and according to statistics it's about 52% Atheists. 32% believers which means most are represented by Catholics and about 8% undetected.
I only mention this because I have heard misconceptions about people in the world thinking we are a nation of Muslims. I have never met a Czech Muslim in my life.

Also another thing I found out that other countries think of us. No, we are not part of Russia. In fact, Czechs don't like Russians because of events in the past when Russia occupied our country. So if you want to piss off some Czech people, this is a pretty good way to do it. :P

Now for the funny stuff. :)

In my country we use the word " Fakt" a lot. Which means something like. "Really?" The funny thing is that the pronunciation of that word sounds a lot like "Fuck" So native English speakers may look at Czechs strangely for using a dirty word so often during casual speech, but it's not like that. :P

In my country, Christmas is celebrated on the 24th evening. It's Christmas Eve dinner and then the opening of presents.
We also have Fish soup from Carp, fried steaks from Carp (or chicken steak for those who don't eat fish and pea soup like me) for Christmas dinner.

Funny thing is, in our country you can buy live carp on the street about three days before Christmas Eve, which the vendors sell in tanks on the street. You can have the carp killed and deboned on the spot, but a lot of people stick to the old ways. They take the carp home alive and put it in a bathtub. So you can't bathe for two or three days unless you want to go in the bath with the Carp! Then the Czechs kill the Carp themselves at home to keep it as fresh as possible for the holiday feast. :)

It is customary to put a carp scale under your plate for good luck and then carry it in your wallets because it is supposed to bring good luck in money and wealth. :)

It is also traditional to fast on Christmas Eve. With the proviso that if you don't eat until Christmas Eve dinner you will see the "Golden Pig". The tradition is an experience especially for children; according to local or family custom, parents will often present the fasting child with a golden pig, perhaps in the form of a mirror reflection on the wall.

Yeah my parents did that too. :) I was a good kid and saw the Golden Piggy several times. XD

Ah. I think that's enough for now. Share your opinions, if you have questions about my country, feel free to ask and I will answer as best I can, or write something about your country, let's broaden our horizons! :blob_highfive:

D

Deleted member 54065

I'm from the Philippines, sadly. Any sane and thinking Filipino without bias for his nation would find it unfortunate to be born here.

Otherwise, we're a people whose sole goal in life is to get our families off the poverty rut. Hence, the overseas workers.

Our society is family-oriented, and our common folk generally lean on the conservative side of things. After all, the Roman Catholic Church still holds a great sway over our population...at least, on the older, and middle aged demographics.

Christmas season here starts in September, and ends by Epiphany in January. From the beginning of the ninth month up to the actual celebrations, you'll start hearing yuletide songs played on radio station, people putting up Christmas displays, and Filipino families and friends gathering together for one big noche buena (that is, the Christmas eve dinner).

Like the Japanese, we love karaoke. Unlike them, we don't care if we infringe on our neighbors' rights, singing as loud as possible, as long as we enjoy ourselves. This often leads to a fight, but who cares? One tiktok video is worth fighting and dying for, according to most of us.

As for the young'uns, they're always sad and depressed, looking for romance and puppy flings with one another until they graduate and actually face the real world. Then, they'd get even more depressed. Then, they just do sex and sire more children without planning, then those children will repeat same mistakes as their parents.

Filipinos also love to pull each other down, but when it's another race who's insulting us, we'd unite and make flame wars against the nationality of the poor sod who threw the first insult. This also encompasses people who genuinely criticizes our stupid antics, in hopes something would change (we're not, lol).

Oh yeah, and while I'm at it, dark-skinned people would find it quite difficult not to receive some kind of discrimination. We worship white skin, almost akin to a standard for beauty. I always joke about it, saying to my students, "You guys really love white skin so much? Go and court a bond paper!"

But yeah, not everything is bleak. We got nice sceneries in the provinces, to take off your mind from the stupidity and fragility of a fast-paced urban life. And folks at the provinces, though 'uneducated', are more trustworthy than the ones in the cities.

So yeah, we always love 'good vibes' - our term for 'let's just get happy and not try to solve our problems'.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
I'm American which means I'm more important than all of you, fat, and a general prick i like guns.

Ahem.

I am from the American South, so my culture revolves around close-knit communities in small towns or rural areas, I have experienced this myself as I know just about everyone on my road by name, and they know my name. The food and home grown recipes are phenomenal too. I have also inherited a love for a stable of the South: trucks, the cowboy's new steed. I myself am a believer, as a good number of people down here are, and always try to live a better life. I'm not much a city guy, i much prefer the country, where I can walk around easily and breathe clean air without seeing much traffic or many people.

However, most importantly, I do, in fact, love guns

Last edited:

SalivaSpittingWorm

I'm from the Philippines, sadly. Any sane and thinking Filipino without bias for his nation would find it unfortunate to be born here.

Otherwise, we're a people whose sole goal in life is to get our families off the poverty rut. Hence, the overseas workers.

Our society is family-oriented, and our common folk generally lean on the conservative side of things. After all, the Roman Catholic Church still holds a great sway over our population...at least, on the older, and middle aged demographics.

Christmas season here starts in September, and ends by Epiphany in January. From the beginning of the ninth month up to the actual celebrations, you'll start hearing yuletide songs played on radio station, people putting up Christmas displays, and Filipino families and friends gathering together for one big noche buena (that is, the Christmas eve dinner).

Like the Japanese, we love karaoke. Unlike them, we don't care if we infringe on our neighbors' rights, singing as loud as possible, as long as we enjoy ourselves. This often leads to a fight, but who cares? One tiktok video is worth fighting and dying for, according to most of us.

As for the young'uns, they're always sad and depressed, looking for romance and puppy flings with one another until they graduate and actually face the real world. Then, they'd get even more depressed. Then, they just do sex and sire more children without planning, then those children will repeat same mistakes as their parents.

Filipinos also love to pull each other down, but when it's another race who's insulting us, we'd unite and make flame wars against the nationality of the poor sod who threw the first insult. This also encompasses people who genuinely criticizes our stupid antics, in hopes something would change (we're not, lol).

Oh yeah, and while I'm at it, dark-skinned people would find it quite difficult not to receive some kind of discrimination. We worship white skin, almost akin to a standard for beauty. I always joke about it, saying to my students, "You guys really love white skin so much? Go and court a bond paper!"

But yeah, not everything is bleak. We got nice sceneries in the provinces, to take off your mind from the stupidity and fragility of a fast-paced urban life. And folks at the provinces, though 'uneducated', are more trustworthy than the ones in the cities.

So yeah, we always love 'good vibes' - our term for 'let's just get happy and not try to solve our problems'.
Wow. I honestly don't know what to say. From what you're saying, it seems like the negative stuff trumps the positive.
But I'm sure there's more good stuff out there, right? Otherwise people wouldn't live there, right? Unless going to another country is difficult.
I'm American which means I'm more important than all of you, fat, and a general prick i like guns.

Ahem.

I am from the American South, so my culture revolves around close-knit communities in small towns or rural areas, I have experienced this myself as I know just about everyone on my road by name, and they know my name. The food and home grown recipes are phenomenal too. I have also inherited a love for a stable of the South: trucks, the cowboy's new steed. I myself am a believer, as a good number of people down here are, and always try to live a better life. I'm not much a city guy, i much prefer the country, where I can walk around easily and breathe clean air without seeing much traffic or many people.

However, most importantly, I do, in fact, love guns
Sounds great!
Small communities are awesome. I think it's so homey and I've always felt like it's a little romantic. :)
Do you have any community events? I've only ever seen it on TV, so I'm wondering if it's true that you have some things that can only be found in your area. :)

Hey, I don't think it's bad to like guns. It's a hobby like any other. :)
As for the whole gun thing, my opinion is that they should just tighten up on how easy it is to get a gun. But that's just my opinion and nothing more and I'm not going to stick my nose in your business. :P

And what's it like to be a religious person? Do prayers and the like really bring you relief and help you somehow?
I'm an atheist myself and don't know anyone who is religious. Personally, I have nothing against any belief until it is forced on me.

Last edited:

Lodur

Eight virgin
It is also traditional to fast on Christmas Eve. With the proviso that if you don't eat until Christmas Eve dinner you will see the "Golden Pig". The tradition is an experience especially for children; according to local or family custom, parents will often present the fasting child with a golden pig, perhaps in the form of a mirror reflection on the wall.

Yeah my parents did that too. :) I was a good kid and saw the Golden Piggy several times. XD
When I was only 3 or 4 years old, my parents scared me with a bear. (It was customary to scare little children, when they were naughty, with a bear in our country; I don't know how it is in modern times). So, I also was a good kid and saw the bear out of the window, at the dark of a night street once upon a time. :s_smile: Funny fact is that bears were already extinct in the most part of the Ukraine in XVIII century, and where we lived, in Azov steppe, there were no any bears at all through the whole history of mankind (bears are forest dwellers, they can't survive at steppe). I modestly don't mention the fact that we lived in the big city... :s_wink:

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
I'm from America, specifically from the Dixie region. I, like most of my fellow southerners hate being called a yank. I am a redneck, no I don't have sexual interest in family, those are white trash, there is a difference.

It's not uncommon to see the "Confederate" flag, it's not the Confederate it's the flag or the Army of Virginia. Literally everyone I know finds racism to be too much effort and honestly it's more fun to be friends then enemies over something as stupid as skin color.

Dixie culture is a nice blend of Scottish, Irish, and Sub-Saharan African cultural identities, with some French (ew, French) tossed in. We love iced tea, cold beer, family, respect and guns. Southerners are known to work hard, but not fast because 100°F or 37°C with enough humidity you can swim in will kill you.men tend to be protective of 3 things; their mommas, their ladies and their honor. Insult one of those and you'll be stomped.

Food, we live for food, the south is responsible for 3 famous food cultures: Creole, soul food and Texmex. We also have whiskey, Jim Beam and Jack Daniel's are trash however.

Guns are also important, where I live there is a heightened odds of a mountain lion, coyote or 300-1000 pound boar with razor sharp tusk and a bad attitude to isekai you painfully into the afterlife.

It's hot, and not just hot, it's humid, and mosquitoes here aren't afraid of bug spray.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
All of my knowledge of the Czech Republic comes from watching Honest Guides videos on YouTube lol.

I’m from Massachusetts in the United States. Particularly from one of the towns that HP Lovecraft based the book The Shadow over Insumouth on, usually don’t mention in because nobody knows what I’m talking about, but figured I’d mention it on a writing form.

As I said in a thread yesterday, most of my family has been living in New England since the early 1600s. My family lives by the water and owned a marina for awhile. I grew up going boating and learned to sail, but I honestly don’t enjoy it.

Salem isn’t too far from me, and every October the train going there from Boston is unbearable to ride. So many idiots in costumes you’d be lucky to find a seat. Most people don’t know this but the Salem witch trials took place in Salem Village, as opposed to Salem Town. Salem town is now referred to as Salem, and Salem village as Danvers.

New England is known for seafood, but I can’t speak much on that because I don’t really like seafood that much.

Also it’s very expensive to live here. One of most expensive places in the US outside of Hawaii and Southern Californi, and unlike them we get snow. My family isn’t rich by any means, but since we come from some of the first settlers we still have some land, though my family sold most of it a few years ago.

Guns aren’t very popular in Mass and the gun laws are pretty restrictive. You can’t own anything that looks scary like an AK or AR, and only police officers are allowed to own Glocks (big whoop overpriced handguns, HI-point does everything just as well for a fifth of the price.) I don’t have or use guns, but my mother has her concealed carry license, though she never uses it, and the only guns she owns are in a safe at my aunts house.

If I had to make a tourist list for people visiting mass for the first time my advice would be. Most interesting things are in or right outside Boston. For Boston I’d suggest the Museum of Science in Boston, The USS constitution (greatest sailing ship ever made). If you’re going outside of Boston I’d suggest the Peabody Essexs Art Museum in Salem, which is one of the best Art Museums in the US (Pretty crazy they have a huge house that was imported brick by brick from China, and rebuilt at the museum.) and the American Heritage Museum in Harrington Mass, which is one of the largest Tank Museums in the country.

WeissBlatt

I am become hiatus
:blobtaco:

We are not so different, you and I.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I'm just taking a break from everything today and kind of thought of starting this thread to expand my or your horizons and learn more about the people and their culture.

It's clear to me that a lot of people from a lot of countries come together here and each country has a different mentality, customs, culture and everything. So I would like to share some interesting facts from my home country here and feel free to join in and write your opinions. :)

So.

I'm from Czech Republic - Also otherwise Czechia. (By the way, half of the population hates this new name and so do I)

Some may still think we are Czechoslovakia, but it hasn't been that way since 1992. Czechoslovakia peacefully broke up into two separate states. Czech Republic and Slovakia. If any of you are interested in the details you can try a search under the words "Velvet Revolution"

The majority of people in my country are Atheists and according to statistics it's about 52% Atheists. 32% believers which means most are represented by Catholics and about 8% undetected.
I only mention this because I have heard misconceptions about people in the world thinking we are a nation of Muslims. I have never met a Czech Muslim in my life.

Also another thing I found out that other countries think of us. No, we are not part of Russia. In fact, Czechs don't like Russians because of events in the past when Russia occupied our country. So if you want to piss off some Czech people, this is a pretty good way to do it. :P

Now for the funny stuff. :)

In my country we use the word " Fakt" a lot. Which means something like. "Really?" The funny thing is that the pronunciation of that word sounds a lot like "Fuck" So native English speakers may look at Czechs strangely for using a dirty word so often during casual speech, but it's not like that. :P

In my country, Christmas is celebrated on the 24th evening. It's Christmas Eve dinner and then the opening of presents.
We also have Fish soup from Carp, fried steaks from Carp (or chicken steak for those who don't eat fish and pea soup like me) for Christmas dinner.

Funny thing is, in our country you can buy live carp on the street about three days before Christmas Eve, which the vendors sell in tanks on the street. You can have the carp killed and deboned on the spot, but a lot of people stick to the old ways. They take the carp home alive and put it in a bathtub. So you can't bathe for two or three days unless you want to go in the bath with the Carp! Then the Czechs kill the Carp themselves at home to keep it as fresh as possible for the holiday feast. :)

It is customary to put a carp scale under your plate for good luck and then carry it in your wallets because it is supposed to bring good luck in money and wealth. :)

Ah. I think that's enough for now. Share your opinions, if you have questions about my country, feel free to ask and I will answer as best I can, or write something about your country, let's broaden our horizons! :blob_highfive:
:blob_neutral: Czechoslovakia? For me, you are still Bohemia.

That aside, "fakt" sounds factual.

SailusGebel

Assu's a vampire kat? Since WHEN!?? :blob_popcorn_two:
It's what I wanted to ask, young lady!