Factors that influence the outcome of a fight, in rank order.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
You are still jumping into conclusions and riling yourself up for no reason.

The reason why I took only 5 seconds to look for it - is because that picture already had enough information included to show my point, specifically the layers it describes:
1-Avoid encounter (fighter doesn't go to the place where the enemy is)
2-Avoid detection (attack behind the corner, shooting from an ambush)
3-Avoid acquisition (attacking with the blinding sun behind your back, attacking with smoke or in the darkness, sand into eyes or mud etc)
4-Avoid hit (dodge, evade)
5-Avoid penetration (armour)
6-Avoid kill (toughness)

I did try to meet halfway - when I suggested that your interpretation is more apt for a specific part of the fight (duel).

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
So how about that Mithradates VI Eupator (also "the Great") eh?

The Poison King himself. Great God of the East. The Lord and King of Pontus.

The Maker of the Black Sea Empire who began humbly in Sinope and Amaseia.

Last edited:

Tropic_Panda

Errrmmm... no. Historians are people who look into the actual historical data. They read the original sources. They have better ideas about what was really said. What you are giving me is assertions and repeating of myths.

They at least tested the assertions, and used some pretty solid methedology. You can squabble about that all you want. If you do not have a better or equal source, you have nothing.

If nothing else though, you are making positive point "arrows can pierce armor." I am making negative point "arrows cannot pierce armor." Therefore, you are the one who needs to provide positive proof.

I have even backed my assertion on top of this by providing a video of an arrow with modern high-grade steel arrow-heads fired from a 170lb war bow NOT puncturing steel armor. You have to be pretty pig-headed not to call that evidence.

Also, the guys in the video were very detailed with their methodology. This was a proper scientific experiment, by every right. They documented their methodology, their testing parameters, and made well defined controls. You do not have to be accredited to do scientific research. You just need a properly designed experiment. The experiment they did in the video is so well documented, and the parameters so well established, that it also fills 1 more requirement of properly designed research. It is replicatable. It is actually possible for an independent person to do all of the exact same things these guys did and get similar results. That's a real hall-mark of good solid research.

I would suggest that before you attack my source, you should first learn what scientific research actually looks like. Have you ever even read a proper research paper? I have read several.
So, you wanted to say you are a science historian, and the people in the video are also science historian who have done a lot of scientific research. Then please show me your degree and theirs, also on what field.

Well, I'm just a high-school graduate, so I never read a proper scientific research paper or scientific journal. But I know that in the world of academics, even a book written by an expert in a specific field after years of research, is only treated as a second rate source.

'In the world of academics, nothing beats a research paper or scientific journal.'

I heard a lot of this saying from people who tried to defend their thesis. And because you say that what people in the video do is the real hallmark of solid research, then is their research at the level of a scientific journal? Can their research be called a first-rate source or reference?

If yes, then show me the final paper that got approved by the world of academics. Because every scientific journal or proper research paper will have to pass a proper examination and be registered.

If not, and it's just the result of reading some historical data, no matter how much they read, please don't call it a proper scientific research.

About making a positive point, well, what should I say about this?

You already know, a debate should start with a positive statement and back by a positive proof. But you started by a negative statement, then asking the one who challenged your statement to provide a proof.

Is that proper conduct from someone who is highly educated as a historian, science historian who conducts experiments in a specific field, or whatever your degree, and proudly said you have already read a lot of proper research papers? Or you just realize debate should start with negatif statement after all of this argument. Really?

You wanted to call me pig-headed because I don't recognize your proof?

Well, go ahead if that makes you happy.

Jemini

So, you wanted to say you are a science historian, and the people in the video are also science historian who have done a lot of scientific research. Then please show me your degree and theirs, also on what field.

Well, I'm just a high-school graduate, so I never read a proper scientific research paper or scientific journal. But I know that in the world of academics, even a book written by an expert in a specific field after years of research, is only treated as a second rate source.

'In the world of academics, nothing beats a research paper or scientific journal.'

I heard a lot of this saying from people who tried to defend their thesis. And because you say that what people in the video do is the real hallmark of solid research, then is their research at the level of a scientific journal? Can their research be called a first-rate source or reference?

If yes, then show me the final paper that got approved by the world of academics. Because every scientific journal or proper research paper will have to pass a proper examination and be registered.

If not, and it's just the result of reading some historical data, no matter how much they read, please don't call it a proper scientific research.

About making a positive point, well, what should I say about this?

You already know, a debate should start with a positive statement and back by a positive proof. But you started by a negative statement, then asking the one who challenged your statement to provide a proof.

Is that proper conduct from someone who is highly educated as a historian, science historian who conducts experiments in a specific field, or whatever your degree, and proudly said you have already read a lot of proper research papers? Or you just realize debate should start with negatif statement after all of this argument. Really?

You wanted to call me pig-headed because I don't recognize your proof?

Well, go ahead if that makes you happy.
second-rate source is leagues better than no source at all, which is what you have provided. I recall I asked several times for an equal or better source. I at least provided A source. You can even rate my source as 3rd rate if you wish. I'm fine with that. It's still better than your "some random guy in a Q&A board" source which is just nothing as far as sources go.

Once again, please become familiar with the way scientific studies are structured before commenting further. If you have no intention to engage in this discussion with academic honesty, then there is no point in continuing this discussion further.

As things stand, I have provided a solid source. The only legitimate answer is to provide a better source. Should be easy to do if you actually had anything to back all the fluster and fluff you have been kicking up.

BTW: Anyone who does proper science qualifies as a good source. The video I linked did do proper science. As I laid out before, they had a methodology that included good controls, proper documentation to a level of replicability, and it tested a clearly stated hypothesis with appropriate testing methods. It doesn't matter if you are some hillbilly off the street. If you have those 3 things, then it's considered proper science and it would hold up in any scientific journal in the world. I have literally read medical research journals. This experiment was designed with all the same hallmarks.
You are still jumping into conclusions and riling yourself up for no reason.

The reason why I took only 5 seconds to look for it - is because that picture already had enough information included to show my point, specifically the layers it describes:
1-Avoid encounter (fighter doesn't go to the place where the enemy is)
2-Avoid detection (attack behind the corner, shooting from an ambush)
3-Avoid acquisition (attacking with the blinding sun behind your back, attacking with smoke or in the darkness, sand into eyes or mud etc)
4-Avoid hit (dodge, evade)
5-Avoid penetration (armour)
6-Avoid kill (toughness)

I did try to meet halfway - when I suggested that your interpretation is more apt for a specific part of the fight (duel).

It looks as though you have chosen the disengage and re-explain option. Still a little snippy, but I won't hold it against you. I will choose to just thank you for some good level-headedness in your approach here.

Now, moving on to the actual argument. The point of the tier list is as a writing aid, to help writers portray fight scenes more realistically, and also prioritizing the facets of the fighter's ability that would actually make a difference.

So, addressing your items on the list.

1. Avoid encounter: Irrelevant. The writer has already decided there is going to be a fight scene.

2. Avoid detection: While some solid-snake action can be interesting in writing, this is still irrelevant. If they were figuring out how to write a better sneaking around scene, they wouldn't be consulting my list in the first place.

3. Avoid acquisition: 1st one that could be considered relevant. It goes down to terrain advantage, which I listed as tier 2 on my listing.

4. Avoid hit: This one could be equated to skill, as this goes into parrying and footwork. Matches up with the tier 3 position I put the item on my own list.

5. Avoid penetration: This one would correspond to equipment, and would be the first one that is in disagreement with my list. As you said though, this is meant more toward something that I suppose would resemble a duel, seeing as how this is meant to be geared toward fight scenes in writing. Under that setting, yes, armor is ranked a little higher.

6. Avoid kill: I think it's called plot armor. Anyone who has it, lives. Anyone who doesn't, dies. Simple. Don't think my list or your list even matters in the face of that one.

I do recall you at some point explicitly digging at the position where I put weapon reach on my listing though. I do not see anything in this that calls weapon reach into question.

Last edited:

Tropic_Panda

second-rate source is leagues better than no source at all, which is what you have provided. I recall I asked several times for an equal or better source. I at least provided A source. You can even rate my source as 3rd rate if you wish. I'm fine with that. It's still better than your "some random guy in a Q&A board" source which is just nothing as far as sources go.

Once again, please become familiar with the way scientific studies are structured before commenting further. If you have no intention to engage in this discussion with academic honesty, then there is no point in continuing this discussion further.
Well, if you are really familiar with the world of academics, then you must have ever heard,

"First-rate source, or no source at all."

This is the expression about how scientist super serious about the value of data or reference they use. Because without first-rate source, they will playing game of guessing and start from scratch.

And actually, i really really want to know, if in the video there are science historian, for example science historian in mechanics who research about evolution of bow making, science historian in metalurgi who research about evolution of body armor crafting, etc.

However, if you think i'm not worthy your time, then so be it.

Jemini

Well, if you are really familiar with the world of academics, then you must have ever heard,

"First-rate source, or no source at all."

This is the expression about how scientist super serious about the value of data or reference they use. Because without first-rate source, they will playing game of guessing and start from scratch.

And actually, i really really want to know, if in the video there are science historian, for example science historian in mechanics who research about evolution of bow making, science historian in metalurgi who research about evolution of body armor crafting, etc.

However, if you think i'm not worthy your time, then so be it.
Do you have a source on that quote?

Not only have I never heard anyone say that nonsense before, neither has the internet. I literally copy-pasted it into a search engine, it came up with zero hits. That takes legitimate effort these days. I would call that it's own brand of impressive.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Popcorn! Get your popcorn while it's still hot!

You know, I kind of feel bad for tropic_panda here. He actually has a point, but he's reluctant to provide even a simple link.

There's a saying in my country, something about fishing and getting at least one, but too lazy to translate.

So I'm throwing him a bone here:
They did some simulations too it seems.
After a brief scan, it seems that English longbows could penetrate plate armor(up to the rear surface) at a range of 225-250m and an angle of 33.3° to 52.1°.

A quick Google search reveals that English longbows have a draw weight of 70kg to 80kg(modern tech and crossbows can probably achieve the same effect with less). So with these conditions and similar weaponry, it is possible.

Regarding running with a bow and shooting, I know Lars Anderson was able to do that, but the draw weight of the bow probably wasn't too much. Not something that will be effective against armored targets. Only superhumans would have the strength to shoot an actual warbow like him.

Tropic_Panda

Not only have I never heard anyone say that nonsense before, neither has the internet. I literally copy-pasted it into a search engine, it came up with zero hits. That takes legitimate effort these days. I would call that it's own brand of impressive.
Writen source? Nope.
Popcorn! Get your popcorn while it's still hot!

You know, I kind of feel bad for tropic_panda here. He actually has a point, but he's reluctant to provide even a simple link.

There's a saying in my country, something about fishing and getting at least one, but too lazy to translate.

So I'm throwing him a bone here:
They did some simulations too it seems.
After a brief scan, it seems that English longbows could penetrate plate armor(up to the rear surface) at a range of 225-250m and an angle of 33.3° to 52.1°.

A quick Google search reveals that English longbows have a draw weight of 70kg to 80kg(modern tech and crossbows can probably achieve the same effect with less). So with these conditions and similar weaponry, it is possible.

Regarding running with a bow and shooting, I know Lars Anderson was able to do that, but the draw weight of the bow probably wasn't too much. Not something that will be effective against armored targets. Only superhumans would have the strength to shoot an actual warbow like him.
Dude, i'm not reluctant. I really can't find any.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
If the point of this thread was to help authors portray fights more realistically then in my opinion it is important to actually consider different types of fights aside from the cut-and-paste battles you specifically mentioned they default to. And for that, the concepts of tactical battles, ambushes and underhanded methods would be very useful. Especially when you are fighting for your life. Better be dishonourable than dead and all that.

I wasn't saying your advantages aren't valid I was talking about their order and what is more advantageous among them.

Reach is (4) Avoid hit. even a short spear offers a lot of advantages from the get-go:
- You are unsure if the opponent will throw it (have to approach more carefully)
- The spear wielder engages you before you engage him (this is very crucial - I did fencing for years as a 6'4" in Sabre division, a tall guy among the shorter and much faster group. and that extra inch in arm span was devastating - I couldn't match their speed for long in order to dictate the distance so I had to rely on my reach to stop and\or hit my opponents before they got close. And at one point I was ranked top 50 in Canada in my division.
- Not only the early engagement allows him to score hits before you get close to hit him (4) he can also threaten you with his weapon to keep you at bay - can't really charge when there is a spear tip right in front of your eyes which would once again dictate his range and not yours (4)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5862244/

Not a direct quote but the main part of the scientific method in using rigorously tested data. It has to be strict. And yes it is the main part of the research to make sure your sources (and the data from your experiments) is first-rate. It is not really data but anecdotes otherwise.

Jemini

If the point of this thread was to help authors portray fights more realistically then in my opinion it is important to actually consider different types of fights aside from the cut-and-paste battles you specifically mentioned they default to. And for that, the concepts of tactical battles, ambushes and underhanded methods would be very useful. Especially when you are fighting for your life. Better be dishonourable than dead and all that.

Oh, believe me. Almost all the fights in my own writing use sneaking around, underhanded methods, and manipulation of perception. I am very aware.

I somewhat consider surprise attacking to be on a different scale though. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I wasn't saying your advantages aren't valid I was talking about their order and what is more advantageous among them.

Reach is (4) Avoid hit. even a short spear offers a lot of advantages from the get-go:
- You are unsure if the opponent will throw it (have to approach more carefully)
- The spear wielder engages you before you engage him (this is very crucial - I did fencing for years as a 6'4" in Sabre division, a tall guy among the shorter and much faster group. and that extra inch in arm span was devastating - I couldn't match their speed for long in order to dictate the distance so I had to rely on my reach to stop and\or hit my opponents before they got close. And at one point I was ranked top 50 in Canada in my division.
- Not only the early engagement allows him to score hits before you get close to hit him (4) he can also threaten you with his weapon to keep you at bay - can't really charge when there is a spear tip right in front of your eyes which would once again dictate his range and not yours (4)

We have some disagreement on this one. At the very least, weapon reach is part of it and skill is another part. Of the two, I would say skill carries around 2/3 of the weight. Your positioning and technique, how well you utilize your weapon regardless of it's length, does a lot more to determine whether or not you get hit than weapon length does.

That is, assuming you actually have a weapon of at least short sword length, or if you are using something shorter then it's got to have some kind of exaggerated quilons or other method of weapon catching.

Un-armed Vs. sword is a concept I trained in Kenjutsu. In practical application, it is all but ridiculous to think it's possible. I suppose I might one day get to the level it's at least feasible if I train at it for years, but that's an absolutely ludicrous amount of muscle memory that has to be built up before the skill of advancing on a sword-wielder un-armed even has a snowball's chance in hell of working.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5862244/

Not a direct quote but the main part of the scientific method in using rigorously tested data. It has to be strict. And yes it is the main part of the research to make sure your sources (and the data from your experiments) is first-rate. It is not really data but anecdotes otherwise.

Alright. Glad you are the one who picked this one up. At least you seem to have some level of academic honesty and are not just out to score points, and you have also linked to a proper scientific journal with your references.

On to addressing the point, when you talk about "quality of data," what is being referred to is generally the rank order of the data, which is as follows.

1. Aggregate research: The data and results of several versions of the same scientific experiment, repeated by multiple different people. This data is very difficult to cheat, and is considered to be of the very highest quality.

2. Peer-reviewed data: Data that has been reviewed by a peer review board, made up of several other people in the same field of research. This introduces a level of gate-keeping into the testing process that usually (although there are some methods to cheat with corrupt board members,) weeds out poorly designed experiments and reviews them for bias.

3. Experimental data: Data from a properly formulated experiment, which has all the proper controls and methodology in place to test the proposed hypothesis.

4. Research data: Data from the reading and aggregation of multiple sources of survey and anecdotal data.

5. Survey data: Data from the polling and questioning of multiple people in the experimental population.

6. Anecdotal data: Collecting stories and accounts pointing to a conclusion. When collecting anecdotal accounts, there is an opportunity for bias in which the researcher may ignore or fail to go through the efforts to collect accounts that disprove the hypothesis. This is an additional opportunity for error beyond the assessed validity of the accounts, and is by most accounts the more severe of the two opportunities for error.

When trying to draw a conclusion, it is best to draw your conclusion using the highest available form of data from the list. This is the quality of data. There are other factors that can be included as well.

1. The rigidity of the controls on the experiment. This is the most important.

2. The validity of the connection between the conclusion in the experiment and the data collected.

3. There is no 3. If you thought I was about to mention the credibility of the person doing the experiment, then you need to go take it up with Socrates. Arguments made on the basis of credibility are worthless before Logos.

The only thing credibility does in terms of your experimental data is it determines who is going to look at it and use it in their research data, and the likelihood of it getting peer reviewed.

Now that that's out of the way, on the subject of long-bow arrows being able to pierce plate armor, that is anecdotal data taken from historical doccuments. In other words, 6th rate data. Taken in aggregate, it becomes research data, which is 4th rate. What the other fellow in here was giving me was street-man's opinion. In other words, not even anecdotal. This qualifies as worthless data.

Now, the video link I provided was Experimental data. That's 3rd rate data, and the experiment was done with some pretty solid controls in place. This makes it the most rigorous experiment I am personally aware of on the subject. It also means it trumps the 4th rate data of the aggregate historical documents unless and until someone can produce experimental data that results in an arrow piercing historically accurate plate armor.

It doesn't matter what you think of the credibility of the guys in the video. If you have a problem, watch the video and try to point out problems in their methodology. It is all well documented as they tell you every step in the process they are taking. It would be considered sloppily written and a professor would cringe if they saw a transcript of the video presented as a scientific document, but it is very much presented in a way that could be considered an audio form of scientific research notes and data collection.

Unless someone can present me with peer review, agragate experimental data, or a more rigorous experiment that produces longbows piercing platemail, we are going to have to toss out our current interpretation of the historical doccuments that have mention of longbow arrows piercing armor as meaning that it goes through the breast-plate, and consider that it might be talking about something else.

(Yes, if you look at the experimental data without bias and without trying to score points, that's exactly what the test proves. Long-bow arrows shot from a 170lb war bow cannot pierce steel breastplate with a properly faceted triangular shape if it hits it straight-on. If this experiment was cleaned up a little and presented in front of a scientific review board, the conclusion they would draw from it is "needs more testing." However, it would, as I said, also throw the historical texts into question, or at least our current interpretations of them.)

Last edited:

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I consider underhanded fighting as part of the fighting. and duel-style with strict rules as another. They are both parts of a generic "fight" and thus I see them as both influencing its outcome.

On reach vs skill - yes you can overcome reach with skill. The issue is that you need a lot more skill to overcome the barest 1cm of reach (which is much easily achievable at much shorter time)

I looked at the video. while their data can be considered valid from a first glance you have to remember - they were shooting at the toughest part of the armour only.

1633036132901.png

This is the whole piece set of the armour they were testing it on - notice the open areas of chainmail where a bodkin arrow can pierce through the rings (including the neck area) So while they couldn't pierce the breastplate itself doesn't allow you to conclude that the person is now invulnerable to arrows.

Also, crossbows were already very very common by that period. That breastplate was XIV, Crossbows were common from XII - composite lath. and by XIV they were steel lath. with a draw weight of 700lbs+ (up to 1300 approaching renaissance) (the war bow in the video is 160lbs)

As the plate continues to improve into XVI century there is now gunpowder to consider.

Now onto rigorous experimentation:

Next here is the quote from that video: "The reproduction is made from 0.5% carbon steel and air cooled and is of variable thickness." which means that they used modern steel for the breastplate. Modern 1045 steel (this is the default 0.5% carbon steel I don't believe they used a custom alloy for this specific video) uses 0.6-0.9% Manganese to counteract the Sulphur and Phosphorus in the alloy. Which makes it significantly stronger than the medieval counterparts with equal carbon content.

Afaik according to Allan Williams "The Knight and the Blast Furnace: A History of the Metallurgy of Armour in the Middle Ages & the Early Modern Period" the modern EN 10025 would be actually comparable to the quality of steels they have been using back then.

Next part: They used wrought iron for arrow tips. Why go for the highest grade armour of that time yet use mediocre arrowheads? - they were made out of steel at that time too. Imo feels like a bias (unintended or not)

So no I do not consider this to be rigorous experimental data even on breastplate penetration.
And I don't consider this to be sufficient data on the lethality of bows in general in that time period even if it was rigorous enough.

Last edited:

Jemini

I consider underhanded fighting as part of the fighting. and duel-style with strict rules as another. They are both parts of a generic "fight" and thus I see them as both influencing its outcome.

On reach vs skill - yes you can overcome reach with skill. The issue is that you need a lot more skill to overcome the barest 1cm of reach (which is much easily achievable at much shorter time)

I looked at the video. while their data can be considered valid from a first glance you have to remember - they were shooting at the toughest part of the armour only.

View attachment 9857
This is the whole piece set of the armour they were testing it on - notice the open areas of chainmail where a bodkin arrow can pierce through the rings (including the neck area) So while they couldn't pierce the breastplate itself doesn't allow you to conclude that the person is now invulnerable to arrows.

Also, crossbows were already very very common by that period. That breastplate was XIV, Crossbows were common from XII - composite lath. and by XIV they were steel lath. with a draw weight of 700lbs+ (up to 1300 approaching renaissance) (the war bow in the video is 160lbs)

As the plate continues to improve into XVI century there is now gunpowder to consider.

Now onto rigorous experimentation:

Next here is the quote from that video: "The reproduction is made from 0.5% carbon steel and air cooled and is of variable thickness." which means that they used modern steel for the breastplate. Modern 1045 steel (this is the default 0.5% carbon steel I don't believe they used a custom alloy for this specific video) uses 0.6-0.9% Manganese to counteract the Sulphur and Phosphorus in the alloy. Which makes it significantly stronger than the medieval counterparts with equal carbon content.

Afaik according to Allan Williams "The Knight and the Blast Furnace: A History of the Metallurgy of Armour in the Middle Ages & the Early Modern Period" the modern EN 10025 would be actually comparable to the quality of steels they have been using back then.

Next part: They used wrought iron for arrow tips. Why go for the highest grade armour of that time yet use mediocre arrowheads? - they were made out of steel at that time too. Imo feels like a bias (unintended or not)

So no I do not consider this to be rigorous experimental data even on breastplate penetration.
And I don't consider this to be sufficient data on the lethality of bows in general in that time period even if it was rigorous enough.

Alright, awesome! Good arguments. (I don't always make comments like this, I'm just that grateful that someone is tackling this debate with good arguments now after the earlier ridiculousness.)

The point with the armor is probably the strongest point for you here. No way is a chainmail going to stop an arrow. In the context of the experiment in the video, I would say you've got them cold with this argument.

However, the video does still help the point I was trying to push while presenting it. That is, an arrow is not going to pierce plate armor. It is, by the way, also not going to pierce a shield. Therefore, if we assume a fight between a knight dressed in early-renesaunce grade full-plate armor, which would be the armor equivalent of plugging in a bow for the weapon-reach slot in the list in the OP, then the full-plate armor would trump the bow.

On the subject of the grade of steel you were talking about, that is a point I will have to look into a little more. However, they did use a variety of different arrowheads in the test, including modern steel arrowheads.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Put a bucket on your head and shoot it with an arrow - it won't pierce it but by that time you won't care. You will be confused, deafened and probably have whiplash from the impact alone. By the time you reached your opponent, you are already not at your 100% capacity. Arrows were powerful enough to knock people off horses with impact alone.

Again why are you assuming bow replaces the weapons? opponent A has better armour opponent B has weaker armour and a bow. Both have the same melee weapons. I once again repeat myself greater range doesn't mean only long-range.

If you are using the early renaissance period are you aware that there are muskets and arquebuses around now? as well as war crossbows. Why are you enforcing dated weapons against brand new armour? Just because it was still in use in some areas longbows were in decline by that period.

Jemini

Put a bucket on your head and shoot it with an arrow - it won't pierce it but by that time you won't care. You will be confused, deafened and probably have whiplash from the impact alone. By the time you reached your opponent, you are already not at your 100% capacity. Arrows were powerful enough to knock people off horses with impact alone.

Again why are you assuming bow replaces the weapons? opponent A has better armour opponent B has weaker armour and a bow. Both have the same melee weapons. I once again repeat myself greater range doesn't mean only long-range.

If you are using the early renaissance period are you aware that there are muskets and arquebuses around now? as well as war crossbows. Why are you enforcing dated weapons against brand new armour? Just because it was still in use in some areas longbows were in decline by that period.

Mostly, it's just to put a cap on the whole arrows Vs. armor debate that we had going for a while now. Since we are finally talking on level with one another and not past each other, it seemed like a good opportunity to finally get it nailed down.

Now that that's in the rear-view, we can go back to the prior point. Although, I think we had mostly been rounding off the main point of this argument as well.

You disagree about the position of weapon reach on the list. I think I can touch upon the armor example again and say that, yes, if you want to get ridiculous and extreme with the differences, then any individual item on this list taken to an extreme can make a HUGE difference on it's own.

So, going to the criteria of insane extremes, a bow vs. the highest quality armor imaginable. Going by this same ethos of extremes, on the subject of sword length we would have to make the skill disparity more along the lines of master armed with short sword vs. day 1 beginner with great sword.

Given that kind of skill desparity, the master with the greatly superior level of skill wins. All he does is keep his distance waiting for the novice to inevitably over-commit (which won't take long,) and then he moves in.

This is the kind of model I used in forming the rank list as I had it.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
No, that is not a debate. You were yelling at me for using a modern picture yet now you were trying to pit a XIV weapon against XVI armour and claiming its superiority.

I was always talking in the same time period for everything. if we are using longbows - the best armour is 14-century armour. If we are using 16-century armour then we will argue reach in 16-century weapons.

I don't even fathom where you took the whole extremes argument. I never argued for it. You chose bows, when I was talking reach, you chose armour 200 centuries more modern than the bow. when I was always talking about equivalent armours of the time period.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
I have seen too many people favoring speed in story-telling for a while. From the perspective of someone who has trained both HEMA and Kenjutsu, I think it is high time to debunk the OP portrayal of speed. It is just not as effective a factor in combat as people give it credit for.

If you want an easy to understand example, have a skilled Super Smash Bros player play Ganondwarf (slowest character in the game) and a less skilled player play Sonic (Not just the fastest character, he is also more than 2X faster than the runner-up.) You will soon see the Ganon player landing perfectly timed hits on the Sonic player every single time the Sonic player tries to come in for an attack.

The only way speed is ever a significant advantage is if you have speedster-class superpower speed and can move so fast that you become effectively invisible. Otherwise, it is just not efficient or effective compared to other things that will give you an advantage.

So, based on the perspective of this one person with real-life martial experience with medieval weaponry, here are the things in rank order that will give you an actual advantage in combat.

The way I have organized this list is that if having an advantage in one area can be used to overcome your disadvantage in another area, then the one that helps to overcome the other is clearly a superior factor to have on your side. So, this is semi-objective in that sense and as accurate as I can manage.

The protection you get from your armor and shield make a huge difference. If you can intercept your enemy's attacks with your shield or a portion of your armor, it means you can simply force your way through and attack them back without as much concern. If you are better protected than your enemy, then this will give you an almost insurmountable advantage.

The one special note is your helmet. With a helmet, there is always a trade-off between coverage and vision. Coverage is important for your protection, but if it limits your vision then that gives your opponent an area they can take advantage of by moving into a blind-spot created by your helmet. Modern day fencing masks solve this problem beautifully with their wire mesh face covering, but that's a technology that did not exist in medieval times.

Having better footing, positioning so the sun is to your back, thrusting a spear or firing an arrow from behind cover, these are all examples of using the terrain to your advantage and it makes for a huge difference in combat.

The ability of the combatant to respond quickly and smoothly to their enemy's actions simply by muscle memory, having an intuition for how to overcome reach advantage, knowing the techniques and being familiar with how a weapon moves, and even having the ability to effectively anticipate your enemy's moves and thus counter them.

Skill is something only gained through experience, and it makes a very large degree of difference. It can overcome almost any other advantage the enemy can throw at you if your skill is sufficient enough. However, it is still number 3 for a reason. The items in #2 and #1 positions are just that powerful to be above something as domineering as skill.

The condition of the combatant's back or joints, and the level of movement they are capable of keeping up. Someone with high degrees of skill can fight effectively with artheritic joints and a bad back, but when lacking that level of skill, physical health can make a devastating difference.

This is not a reference to strength or speed. Rather, it is a reference to agility and ability to perform complex maneuvers. Stamina is also a factor in athleticism that makes a huge difference in combat. Agility is the ability to suddenly change the direction of your momentum.

Athleticism is optional when it comes to weapons combat, but it gives you options that a less athletically inclined person would not have. These extra options can often make all the difference in your combat performance.

Weapon reach is kind of a big deal. So much so that I am honestly surprised it wound up this far down on the list. However, by my criteria that anything that can be used to override an advantage will automatically be higher on the list, this is where things wound up.

Weapon reach really does make a rather big difference. You can hear it talked about, but you truly do not understand just HOW much of a difference a reach of a mere 6 inches or so can really make when it comes to getting past the other guy's weapon in order to strike. Every added inch means extra rotational speed. Rotational speed means extra force on impact, which means that attempts to parry the longer weapon will frequently put you at a disadvantage. And that is in addition to the trouble you will already have with the fact that he will be able to stab you at a measure where you can't even touch him.

If you are facing off against an opponent with a longer weapon, an advantage in one or more of the above 5 areas will be absolutely necessary in order to overcome the devastating advantage they will have over you.

How tall or short you are compared to your opponent actually does make a difference, and a big one too. This one, however, is a little unusual. The advantage you gain from this one is not linear. Rather, the closer to average height you are the more you are at a disadvantage. It is the people who are exceptionally tall or short going out in either direction who gain an advantage from this one.

There is no real benefit to being a little taller or shorter than your opponent. However, when you are facing an opponent of a different height, there will be some techniques that just will not work the same way as they would if you were facing an opponent of the same height as you.

This gives people with an unusual height a distinct advantage. Short people will be very used to fighting combatants who are taller than them, and very tall people will be used to fighting combatants shorter than them. They will be more capable of taking advantage of the differences in the techniques than their more average-height opponents.

However, there is one point in favor of the unusually tall person. If you face an unusually tall person against an unusually short person, they will be used to the technique difference between the two of them, which will eliminate the primary advantage given by height difference. However, once you have this large a size gap, you actually WILL now be at the point where the length of the taller person's arm makes a significant difference and gives them the same kind of advantage weapon reach would grant.

When all the above is equal, having the ability to physically overpower your opponent can win you the day. If you can parry their weapon hard enough to fling them wide-open, defeat a grappling attempt and turn it into a strength-on-strength fight, or just rush the opponent in an overbearing manner, then you are now in the arena where who is physically stronger will make all the difference on who is the victor.

If it comes down to a contest of strength, it usually means that you are either 1. in a situation where technique has completely failed for whatever reason or, 2. you are equal in skill to your opponent but unequal in strength, and thus you decided to somehow incorporate overbearing tactics into your combat strategy.

The ability to move your weapon or your feet quickly.

In truth, it takes an immense difference in physical strength in order to accelerate yourself even 10% faster. In the real world, speed is highly inefficient when it comes to gaining combat advantages. The only time speed is even capable of being different enough between 2 people for it to make a difference in a fight is in the worlds of video games and comic books.

The time in the real world you might get a significant speed advantage over someone is if you also have a HUGE athleticism and physical health advantage over them. If this is the case, you have far more than just your speed working in your favor anyway, and the other things working in your favor are likely to contribute far more to the fight than your speed would. As such, speed becomes hardly even worth the mention.
To an extent, I believe that having some ability to think on your feet, maneuver your opponent to set up attacks, to position yourself, and read your opponent’s emotions is just as if not more important than speed.

As well as experience in fighting. You can be skilled in the ring, but you don’t want to freeze up when a hammer is heading towards your temple.

Jemini

To an extent, I believe that having some ability to think on your feet, maneuver your opponent to set up attacks, to position yourself, and read your opponent’s emotions is just as if not more important than speed.

As well as experience in fighting. You can be skilled in the ring, but you don’t want to freeze up when a hammer is heading towards your temple.

O.... kay? I am... REALLY not sure what you are trying to communicate here.
No, that is not a debate. You were yelling at me for using a modern picture yet now you were trying to pit a XIV weapon against XVI armour and claiming its superiority.

I was always talking in the same time period for everything. if we are using longbows - the best armour is 14-century armour. If we are using 16-century armour then we will argue reach in 16-century weapons.

I don't even fathom where you took the whole extremes argument. I never argued for it. You chose bows, when I was talking reach, you chose armour 200 centuries more modern than the bow. when I was always talking about equivalent armours of the time period.

I'm saying I was using extremes to formulate my list. Therefore, that's the reason the list is structured the way it is.

This started with you using a miss-stated argument that did not communicate the thing you thought it was communicated, coming off (perhaps unintentionally) as talking down at me, and stating that I had placed reach at the wrong place on the list.

Here, now, I am trying to help you understand how I formulated the list. Taking each factor in isolation and comparing it against other factors in isolation.

This is not a debate about what would win in what historical era. This is about, if you are writing a fantasy-geared action story with fight scenes that play out like personal duels, what factors will make a difference?

I was also trying to illustrate the point that speed was not the god-tier ability in a person's build that everyone portrays it as. The flash is the most OP super hero in the DC universe, and any super hero universe for that matter. That does not mean everyone who is a little bit fast is like the flash in their world, and there are implications within the laws of physics that renders the building up of speed as ridiculous.

So, I listed off 8 other factors that come into play in combat that are significantly more important than speed, including strength which is the thing that these speed-favoring writers are thinking is the trope they are breaking with their speed-based characters. Also, I ranked them according to the judging by extremes criteria.

Last edited: