Fake Heroine

Venusaur26

I’ve read some novels and Korean manga where it turns out the sweet innocent heroine turns out to be the true villainess, nastier than how the female lead was!
I don’t know if characters like these could be considered White Lotus type or whatever
I wish to know how plot twists like that are done right…

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
White lotus definitely. But she got to have valid reason for being malicious and evil (lust for power, attention, or love). Sociopath fake heroines are good at dealing with people. She knows how to get into their good graces and project a noble persona.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Considering Soap operas are done in my place, I think those people are mostly affected by the distinction between the common people and the rich.

It was set up that the main villian is actually the rich people but because of a long grudges and the personality of a long awaited revenge, it slowly morphs the narrative that the villian was actually slowly becoming increasingly good while the poor to rich character slowly embraces the power they achieve, slowly becoming the villian themselves, without knowing their own objectives shifted from taking revenge to amassing power.

I used to watch these shows with my mom(at that time where I didn't know the internet existed yet, so probably 10 years or more), she tends to tell me how the villain was supposed to be repenting her ways while the protagonist slowly began to embrace the power she acquired and becoming evil. I actually began to love the narrative, even though I didn't like the shoujo soap operas at that time(it might be thats how I slowly began to get interested in the shoujo genre).

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I’ve read some novels and Korean manga where it turns out the sweet innocent heroine turns out to be the true villainess, nastier than how the female lead was!
I don’t know if characters like these could be considered White Lotus type or whatever
Do you mean the drug?

Jemini

In terms of plot twists like that, for the most part, you have to follow 2 incredibly simple rules.
1. Do not do it unless this twist was in the plans from the beginning, when the character was first introduced.
2. The writer should never mislead the audience, but the character can do all the misleading she wants. That is to say, play the person in character, as a person who has a dark ulterior motive but is trying to hide it. Do not play them as an up-right honest person and then switch them at the last minute, simply calling it them being good at acting the part.

Plot twists like this are going to be seen as an ass-pull unless you seed proper subtle hints throughout the story. This seeding of subtle hints will come about naturally if you follow the two rules above.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Just do the same things you'd do to redeem a villain but backwards. Even better when you have one of the more dubious or unlikeable characters doubt her from the start. Makes for a good point in their development you can build on.

Dewux

Think of it as a murder mystery where the killer is actually among the group of people (Conan and Kindaichi vibes), but without the murder part, unless of course if your plot already includes it.

Monaka

I read something similar like that once, only different.

The Heroine turns out to be the true villain of the story, but she is still sweet and innocent until she becomes hungry and starts eating people.

She has no recollection of committing the crime because the only person who is aware of the Fake Heroine's monstrous nature, her mother, erased her memories so she can acts as a replacement for her deceased daughter, the True Heroine.

After spending so many years with human thinking she too, is a human, our heroine develops an existential and moral crisis when the memories of her previous life re-emerges. She refuses to eat and tries to kill herself, only to fail miserably.

Last edited:

Venusaur26

I read something similar like that once, only different.

The Heroine turns out to be the true villain of the story, but she is still sweet and innocent until she becomes hungry and starts eating people.

She has no recollection of committing the crime because the only person who is aware of the Fake Heroine's monstrous nature, her mother, erased her memories so she can acts as a replacement for her deceased daughter, the True Heroine.

After spending so many years with human thinking she too, is a human, our heroine develops an existential and moral crisis when the memories of her previous life re-emerges. She refuses to eat and tries to kill herself, only to fail miserably.
What’s the title? I’m interested

D

Deleted member 70892

From protagonist to antagonist?