Recommendations Fantasy BL that isn't Cultivation or World Hopping/System

Moshi

Literally the title. This stuff just seems like it doesn't exist on this site.

EDIT:
Preferably more "fantasy" fantasy, swords and magic type of thing. Also, more focus on the romance and/or slow life than any dramatic plot please.

Last edited:

FantasyDeath

Well, if you don't mind, I have 2 Fantasy BL novels with no cultivation or systems. Although, one is a transmigration novel, so maybe not that one? But yes, I agree, there are lots of systems/cultivation BL novels here. I actually can't, at the top of my head, think of any others that aren't...

GhostlyArtz

While it has been a minute since I've read non-fanfiction BL, I remember loving several on the fictionpress.net site that I could throw at you depending on your preference? (Slow burn/violence/supernatural/character dynamic/etc)

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
While it has been a minute since I've read non-fanfiction BL, I remember loving several on the fictionpress.net site that I could throw at you depending on your preference? (Slow burn/violence/supernatural/character dynamic/etc)
Throw them at all of us, please! Especially if they're finished ~

Personally, I haven't read much on SH and everything that I did read seems to have had cultivation in there so I could only shamelessly recommend two of my own novels that might fit the bill:
Finders Keepers is rather light on the fantasy-aspect (and I can't say much more than that or I'd be spoiling ~), so don't expect any non-human races or big magic battles. Also, this novel is finished.
Romancing the Son of Heaven is fantasy with (almost) all characters being non-human (dragons and gods). Nobody cultivates in here but the sequel does have cultivation so not sure if it actually fits the bill. It's a very, very slow slow-burn. Also, this is a comedy and the ML is pretty nuts so this definitely isn't for everybody.

Edit: Remembered one that I haven't finished reading yet but that might also work:
Melting Frost which has a non-human ML and a curse. From the part that I read it found it really engaging and immediately liked the characters. I also liked the writing style (in fact, I've read some other stories by the same author but they either have cultivation or aren't fantasy/bl so don't really fit here) and especially the descriptions. It's super atmospheric.

Last edited:

Amarathia

There are actually quite a few that are apocalypse, and a couple fantasy without cultivation, but they fall into the unknown plethora of BL that have been dropped or are on hiatus. It's true that most of the stories that are ongoing are mostly the ones that are cultivation/with a system. You just want ones that are more classic fantasy like dragons/knight and stuff rite, or just other world as long as it's not transmigration or cultivation?

I know this one is just fantasy. The only problem is that the story pacing is too slow and detailed, but there is pretty good lore about the world and its fantasy elements.

hahaha i have a bunch of stories in word docs that fit what you want but haven't posted them online (not assuming you'd like them anyway but still kinda funny *shrugs*).

**oh yeah...there a definitely a ton that fit on Novel Updates....so if you look there instead of here

Queenfisher

Bird?
I was quite honestly scared about unpopularity of BL overall, but seeing that some people do look out for it is inspiring, actually -). I am currently writing a BL novel that's neither cultivation, nor system. And is fantasy in a fairly unique setting (ancient historical/legendary Japan). Also, alas, I only just began writing it, so it only has a few chapters, but I update regularly. The reincarnation in the title is a bit misleading, though, because it is not a strictly a reincarnation (even though the character believes it is, and it definitely appears like it is at the beginning). It's a mystery plot with twists for later ^^.

Sorry for shameless advertising, but with how rare BL presence is in the top ranks, I feel it's not that bad to promote a story that fits your inquiry so well! Plus, it's in the current SH contest, and the only BL in the first 50 spots, so support! ^^

Moshi

Although, one is a transmigration novel, so maybe not that one?
You just want ones that are more classic fantasy like dragons/knight and stuff rite, or just other world as long as it's not transmigration or cultivation?
Yeah, I'm looking for more classic (western) swords and magic type fantasy, rather than wuxia/xianxia. Also, probably should've clarified, but I'm fine with transmigration/reincarnation as long as it's not world hopping (that is, not transmigrating every 5 chapters).

As long as it isn't too slow burn XD
I'm looking for a more slice of life/romance oriented novel, so please give me something fluffy.

Basically, I like fantasy novels and I like BL, and for some reason nobody ever writes both in the same book orz

Geek_Aflame

What type of fantasy? If you don't mind people suggesting their own stories I have a suggestion. I'm writing a small town urban fantasy/mystery series with a bisexual protagonist who's in a relationship with another man. I try to post regularly and I'm currently working with an editor to improve the grammar. I'll be able to post twice a week once my editor is finished.

Amarathia

^ western fantasy, short, cute and fluffy, completed

^closer to sci-fi and exploring primal worlds with beasts that make it feel fantasy-esque, in translation

^short story, completed, pretty much hero summoned to kill demon. Comedy, light-hearted

Moshi

What type of fantasy?
Edited OP to be a bit more specific

^ western fantasy, short, cute and fluffy, completed

^closer to sci-fi and exploring primal worlds with beasts that make it feel fantasy-esque, in translation

^short story, completed, pretty much hero summoned to kill demon. Comedy, light-hearted

I've read both the first and last one, but the second one is new to me. I tend to avoid reading Chinese BL though because from my experience, the MLs usually have a terrible (sticky/black belly/possessive) personality, and the MC either is oblivious to this OR is completely helpless and literally wouldn't survive without the ML. Could give it a shot though.

Amarathia

I've read both the first and last one, but the second one is new to me. I tend to avoid reading Chinese BL though because from my experience, the MLs usually have a terrible (sticky/black belly/possessive) personality, and the MC either is oblivious to this OR is completely helpless and literally wouldn't survive without the ML. Could give it a shot though.

I can't rlly think of any others unfortunately.
And yeah, the ML in that one is definitely sticky/black belly after a while. Their relationship is slightly more equal than in other chinese BL, but not perfect. At the start of the story the ML is really cute though--he's literally a tiny dragon lizard thing. The MC does a lot of fighting on his own. It's a very action-heavy novel.

GhostlyArtz

Okay okay onto the onslaught of suggestions:
(I will give warning that I haven't actually read these stories for several years; unfortunately fluff wasn't exactly something I read that frequently. Fantasy though- I got you there)
Leviathan: Leviathan has always been apathetic about this whole supervillian business. However, to impress his older brother, he chooses to make the new superhero in town his arch nemesis. Too bad this hero has a penchant for saving Leviathan! (Incomplete) (Okay, actually the author to this series has several good ones and I was a huge fan of their works. Other works are:
Ventures and Investments: Justin Plank is a pathetic gutter rat. In the past, he made the mistake of crossing Tony Torroda, one of the most powerful talent agents in LA. Now, at the brink of failure, he must turn to Tony for help... the last thing he would ever want to do. slash (Complete)
Demons of the Heart: Set in a Prep School, this story revolves around the integration of Demon Students into the Human Student population. This will set off a few problems however considering humans carry what Demons call Scent Triggers. (Complete)

Greg the Vampire: Greg, Dracula's dark, menacing, socially retarded eldest son, finally finds romance. That is, after he gets over his intimacy issues, adopts a dragon, and helps save a monster orphanage. (Incomplete) (This one was just adorable to be honest)

Quinntessential: Elliot's pretty sure his temperamental flat mate, Quinn, has a problem with him. But since he likes to call himself a pacifist, he'd rather watch MythBusters than find out why. (Incomplete) (To be honest, I think the amount of WIP stories I loved was the reason I stopped reading on Fictionpress. That and it was hard to find the new ones)
(I also think this one will probably be the closest to slice of life/fluff? I at least don't really remember a big world ending plot)

Rainbow Fish: Life’s hard when you’re stuck in the future fighting a war you don’t understand on a planet that’s falling apart. It’s even worse when the most wanted assassin in the world can’t keep his damn hands, or lips, off you. (Incomplete)

The History of Southbrook Academy: Between remaining the school’s premier expert on gossip and trying to blackmail a jock into being his boyfriend, Alex has no time for ghost stories. Unfortunately somebody else doesn’t feel the same way.

Bad Luck: Aiden is in a tough situation: he's madly in love with his best friend. But things only get worse when he's forced to work with an obnoxious bully. But even a guy like Aiden can find love. Well, that is, if his bad luck stays out of the way first... (Complete)

With Intent: Adam's got the Spidey Sense but he'd rather be The Invisible Man. Your regular Marvel Action Hero minus lycra and enthusiasm for saving the world, he'd rather just ignore it and his dormant to extinct love life. Going nuts is more of a problem. (Complete)
(I want to say this is another author I was a fan of but I don't exactly remember)

Unrequited: It’s tough being a gay guy when the only person you’re in love with is straight and the only person in love with you is a girl. (Complete) (I don't remember the plot, but I remember I enjoyed it and was talking about it a bit. High chance it has an unhappy ending and doesn't exactly have fluff but I do not recall)

You Say Coward Like it's a Bad Thing: Caleb is a coward, he knows this. In fact, he's kind of proud of it. It's not very helpful, though, when it comes to his love life, or lack thereof. (Complete)

Jack Saturday Can't Fail: It's bad enough that I got stuck babysitting a brand-new vampire, but when it turns out he comes with deadly baggage... no, wait, that's the fun part. I might actually get to kill somebody. (Incomplete) (Another Author I was a fan of)
Kastor Chronicles 1: Barbarian swordsman Kastor Auberlane has no problem with this saving-the-world thing; it's putting up with Mikah that's a little hard to take. (Complete) (I only read the first of the series because of reasons. Enjoyable, but it the overarching plot does take precedence to the romance and fluff. Mikah is great though A+)
The God Eaters: The tale of two outlaws and the totaliatarian theocracy what done it to 'em. (Complete)

Smoker Seeks Seclusion: Clyde doesn't discriminate; he hates everyone equally. (Complete) (This one was one of my all time favorites. No fantasy, if I recall correctly, but amusing as hell)

Moonlight: Moonlight follows Izeri, a weather fey with a dark secret as he fights for love, acceptance, and his very life. (Incomplete) (The world this author crafts is amazing and wonderful. Like, oh my. I am literally in love with their world building. They also have another, Broken Wings in the same world but it is kind of... threesome-y (no kind of to it really) so I'd suggest Moonlight first. Both are great stories though)

Best Lane Plans: I, as a philosophy major, hated superheroes. They were a philosophical farce, a tangle of fallacies. Who beats people up to show that violence is wrong? Who destroys a city again and again, on the pretext of protecting it? I REALLY disagree with... well, everything about them. But none of that stopped me from falling for one, though, did it? Just my luck. (Complete)

Jinxing Remy: Remy has issues, sure, but nothing compared to what happens when he becomes known on the streets as the biggest and baddest mofo around, all due to a misunderstanding. So what's he to do when a REAL violent thug comes barging into his life, ready to beat him into slush in order to take his status? (Complete)

Okay, everything above ranges from romance, humor, fantasy. I stayed away from a few of the dark and gritty ones that I liked (Zombie and demon centric) but they all range from 30k+ so should be some good reading material. I could probably find some more, but figured that should be enough?

Unfortunately, I'm not the biggest fan of fluffy slice of life so most of these... the ship doesn't get together until the end. Or something like that. Slow build, because I am a sucker for that. But, most of them are fantasy or have fantasy elements if not entirely fantasy. A couple are just plain boring humans though so.

Anyhow, hopefully you enjoy some of these!

FantasyDeath

Alright, so first is the transmigration one. It's just a single world-hop, and it's slice of life, I think.

Next is more of a mystery fantasy BL novel which... I haven't updated in a while. Hmm.

(I hope it's alright that I'm just posting my own works, I can't really think of any others. The BL ones I read here are basically all systems or cultivation novels.)

Silvareiel

Hm ... I'd like to recommend my novel. It's High Fantasy and BL, but it's a slow romance. Also, the world is a bit complex. Well, just check it out if you feel that it might interest you 😄

tigerine

Yeah, I'm looking for more classic (western) swords and magic type fantasy, rather than wuxia/xianxia. Also, probably should've clarified, but I'm fine with transmigration/reincarnation as long as it's not world hopping (that is, not transmigrating every 5 chapters).

Basically, I like fantasy novels and I like BL, and for some reason nobody ever writes both in the same book orz

I tend to avoid reading Chinese BL though because from my experience, the MLs usually have a terrible (sticky/black belly/possessive) personality, and the MC either is oblivious to this OR is completely helpless and literally wouldn't survive without the ML. Could give it a shot though.

If you just don't like the heroic Chinese fantasy approach, then you can stop reading here. But the nature of your problem with BL cultivation novels is that the tropes don't hit right, then my novel might work for you. I've gotten some positive feedback on worldbuilding and characterization, so if you can overlook the multitude of sins (BL/xianxia/cultivation/isekai), then please give mine a try.

Jolliapplegirl

There's 'Stone age Husband Raising Journal'. It has transmigration but honestly, that isn't really a main factor in the story. It's light in spice (at least here I am) but it's a fun ride. There's also 'Spirit hotel'. It's a modern(ish) fantasy but no cultivation or the like. It's also really funny.

bal

• Silent Reading
  • The Emperor's Strategy(Ancient BL)
  • Are You Addicted?(Popular in China)
Here you will find 23 best Chinese BL novels and adapted drama in ancient, modern, historical, sci-fi, romantic, wuxia, military, and comedy genres.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
If you give me some time, I'll be posting my original fantasy work "Rip Current" to the site. It'll take place in the midst of a war between a human nation and a broken society of merfolk. The protagonist, a boy named Irian, is a scale farmer - someone who shaves the scales off of captured merfolk, and then sells them as jewelry. It focuses on his journey in learning about the merfolk he has always looked down upon.

And as I am bound to do by a blood oath I signed at the age of sixteen I must always recommend Brandon Sanderson if you are ever thinking of picking up a traditional fantasy novel.