Feedback Request

ExtraTori

https://www.scribblehub.com/series/708522/wicce-cambiare/

Looking for feedback on a lengthy story I've only just started.

So, I'm new here. I wrote a couple of short one chapter stories before starting this one. I'm enjoying the process of writing it and will probably continue even if nobody else likes it. On the off chance that what I'm writing is actually enjoyable to read, I thought I'd ask for feedback. Parts of it are safer for work than others but it has the NSFW label for a reason. It's currently at 9 chapters and I've started on the 10th. Maybe, it's rubbish. I'm not sure.

Any constructive feedback is welcome.

Graced_Villain

Just read your first chapter!

Ratings
Setting Descriptions : 3 / 5
Characters : 4 / 5
Character Descriptions : 2 / 5
Dialogue : 3 / 5
Flow : 1.5 / 5

Overall : 2.7 / 5

Review :
You have a fairly interesting premise with a nice character duo. The Wizard Elf is a stark contrast to the brawny warrior, as intended. The pacing of it all was 'off', there were places where the scene changed but it wasn't apparent so. Certain more details could be added like the thudding of the pitcher of ale onto the counter to signify that a pitcher of ale was now present by some other character's hand.

Details regarding time could be added using the color of the sky or the street lamps or by mentions of crowd size along routes...

Overall, in Chapter 1, I think it could use a few more transitionary details, to "show" the moving parts during a scene. That and if the pacing is made right, it could become possibly two chapters.

Good read though , I'll be reading more of it soon enough.

Last edited:

ExtraTori

Just read your first chapter!

Ratings
Setting Descriptions : 3 / 5
Characters : 4 / 5
Character Descriptions : 2 / 5
Dialogue : 3 / 5
Flow : 1.5 / 5

Overall : 2.7 / 5

Review :
You have a fairly interesting premise with a nice character duo. The Wizard Elf is a stark contrast the brawny warrior, as intended. The pacing of it all was 'off', there were places where the scene changed but it wasn't apparent so. Certain more details could be added like the thudding of the pitcher of ale onto the counter to signify that a pitcher of ale was now present by some other character's hand.

Details regarding time could be added using the color of the sky or the street lamps or y mentions of crowd size along routes...

Overall, in Chapter 1, I think it could use a few more transitionary details, to "show" the moving parts during a scene. That and if the pacing is made right, it could become possibly two chapters.

Good read though , I'll be reading more of it soon enough.
Thanks, for the honest feedback. I know it took some time to provide. I appreciate it.
Yeah, I'm not a pro or anything. I'll see if I can work in some better scene transitions and/or atmospheric descriptions. I knew my writing had room for improvement. You're feedback gives me a direction for how I might improve it over time.

Again, thank you.

Graced_Villain

Just caught up with Chapter 9.

Pleasant read! I like how the interactions between Flor and Sylvar were.
Premise picked up steam too, bit of a delight with the questions being pulled up.

I think there's a bit of hesitance from your end in drawing certain moments out, given that it's First Person POV.

In some places, "tell" is absolutely okay than "show" but when "tell" is preceded by a bit of "show", it makes for a bit more of an engrossing read.

Also, a few key details for side characters or chapter characters would be A-Okay too. Full descriptions break the flow so a simple hair colour and style, eye color, height or frame description "in action" would make for a vivid moment. There's loads of things that are key features when you look at someone for the first time. Maybe it's their wrinkles, maybe it's their braids, maybe it's the way their neck is too long, whatever it may be, it can be seamlessly noted.

And yeah, some form of "show" of time passing would be alright, I think. There is mention, no doubt. Just a little something I think.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
So I gave your chapter a light read and I'm tempted to continue it.

I'm not particularly picky about flow I've noticed, and so won't be targeting the mechanics so much, but more the story elements I feel, I did notice the following, however:

"men had to steal their nerves at the sight"
You're looking for steel :) That one's hard to look for because well, steal IS a valid verb used correctly.

"When a stream of smoke started pouring out from the cave entrance, Flor lost his concentration and faltered in his reading."
So this is actually correct, but my brain flagged it as incorrect and Why isn't the When attached to previous sentence?! I think if I were to rewrite it, I'd suggest something like: "A stream of smoke poured out the mouth of the save, accosting Flor's concentration. His reading faltered soon after." Hells, I'd do something crazy like "A stream of smoke poured out the mouth of the save, smoking out Flor's concentration and fizzling his read." (That is a very nonstandard use of "fizzle", I'm being flowery and facetious.)

"Flor quickly told his friend, 'bow down and avert your eyes,' before he returned to his reading aloud of his transcript."
I'd reverse the quote and dialogue tag, and possibly make a paragraph break here. Oh hells, now I'm looking at this with editor mind... Bad Luna. (Also that Bow is capitalised)

"You whom shows"
that would be a who. whom is indirect and (if you want) direct object, not subject. Arguably you could also strip the s from shows but I forget the actual rule on that. (I think you really do strip the s, because I kicked it to faux-Middle English and it would be "Thou who showest")

OKAY! Now onto the Story bits:

I really, REALLY like that the interaction with Flor and the Dragon went BADLY. It hints that Flor was just learning the language, and was in NO way prepared to speak Draconic, especially before a Dragon who would not only have mastery over Draconic Language but also a culture with rules and traditions, which Flor could not possibly have acquired from a book, not at the level one needed to in order to make a request like that.

Also I find it interesting that your elf is said to be 17. I imagine you're having them age at humanish speeds at least in their youth because most Elves are made to be really long lived, like 17 is possibly still a toddler long lived. I like this.

The transition. I assume the Dragon spell is how you're genderbending, and if it is, I'm here for it, and I really, REALLY hope Flor has to struggle a bit with that. Like, honestly at this point, how that transition is handled will probably be the make or break point for me continuing reading. I say that like I'm an authoritarian bitch, but really all I'm asking is that it not be like "Poof! You're a girl now and everything is amazing and you're overpowered as sin!" Not only would this break what feels like the Dragon straight up KILLING Flor if not for Syl's intervention, but I want to see how Flor and the world respond to this phenomenon, and by bringing in Dragon Magic Hax you've given yourself a LOT of leeway.

Also I like the effect of the Dragon knowing Truespeech and how you present it. It's really cool :)

I do think you could use proofing your chapter a couple more times, but other than that you're doing pretty well so far :) I might come on here with a follow up review, who knows.

ExtraTori

The elf's age isn't like that of other series where they are tiny children at 17. Flor is, for all intents and purposes the same as you or I at age 17. Maybe, I'll explain that explicitly in like an author's note or something.

I hope you enjoy the story as It's actually written. I think, I might be kinder to my protagonist than readers might want to see. I put some of myself into her and while I wasn't aiming for "everything is amazing" I don't want them to be unhappy either... I guess. I might give her an added hardship or two in coming chapters.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
The elf's age isn't like that of other series where they are tiny children at 17. Flor is, for all intents and purposes the same as you or I at age 17. Maybe, I'll explain that explicitly in like an author's note or something.

I hope you enjoy the story as It's actually written. I think, I might be kinder to my protagonist than readers might want to see. I put some of myself into her and while I wasn't aiming for "everything is amazing" I don't want them to be unhappy either... I guess. I might give her an added hardship or two in coming chapters.

I get you, its pretty neat on the age front.

While taking in feedback is nice, I will be the first to say: Do Not Make Drastic Changes Just To Cater To People. Whatever you write needs to be fundamentally yours. Like if you're writing commercially then sure go for it but as a passion project make sure it's something you're fundamentally okay with. if you want to give poor Flor some troubles then do it, but dont be like "aaa i must do this" you know?

Also I had a wild time with trying to theorise about your chapters so far. For what it's worth, I do enjoy the work :)

ExtraTori

Yeah, I've heard that advice before somewhere. I forget where, but it seems to be one of the things people say a lot because it's true.

I've enjoyed writing it, so far. I received a few comments early on, from the very few readers it attracted, and the first 4 chapters get more likes via "favorites" than the chapters after that point. So, I thought I'd post in this author forum to see what feedback I might get. Being new here, I wasn't really sure if I'd get anything helpful or just get flamed. Decided to put myself out there and see what came.

Thanks, for your feedback and I hope you continue to enjoy reading my little story.