Fiction doesn't affect reality. Fiction enhances reality.[Warning: Long Post]

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
I want people's opinions on this because I'm genuinely curious about this concept. I'm under the idea that fiction doesn't affect reality. As in I don't believe shit like playing violent video games somehow makes people more likely to go out and cause mass murders. Seeing movies that glorify violence or sex won't inherently change a person's mindset to be more likely to ignore or parade such concepts as something to be actively celebrated. If a person celebrates real life violence, they already had the predetermined mindset to do that, with or without fiction's hand in the matter

However, I do understand, and I believe the idea that fiction enhances reality. As in if someone where to commit murder, and they played violent games or watched violent movies, they would do it with or without the fiction's hand in the matter. If a murderer watched a violent movie, it was because they were already attracted to violence to begin with, and seeing the violent movie would only enhance that understanding of themselves. Same thing with sexual themes. If someone finds out they're gay because they saw Leonardo DiCaprio shirtless in one of the movies, they were already gay and seeing that only made them realize that fact. As in it enhanced they're gayness, and as funny as that sounds, I mean it.

I remember Noralities when she was talking about how fiction affects reality and in her talk about cancel culture, she brought up the movie "The Birth of a Nation" and how it basically put the triple K back into some sort of power after years of basically being dead. However, she failed to mention that it was 1915 and even with the triple K being basically dead, people were still very racist and the movie just took those people's personalities and enhanced them until they blew. Honestly, that video of hers is pretty garbage and she got into some massive controversy after that video and her trash isekai video, but that statement she made stuck in my mind.

Here's the video if anyone's wondering:

There's also this very specific points that I hear pop up time and time again, though thankfully this point seems to be dying as of late cause it was very dumb to begin with. We all should know the point that news broadcasters in the early 2000s constantly brought up. X murderer or criminal was a fan of Y violent movie/game. However, they fail to bring up the fact that X murderer had very obvious mental defects. The amount of times GTA was brought up in the news after a mass shooting still rings in my head cause it was pretty common to hear about in the early 2000s and even in the early 2010s.

This all kind of came to a head when a thread popped up on here talking about the differences of violence and sex in media, and how people can get their arms cut off in children's shows, but references to sex and sexuality is seen as taboo. Even in shows aimed to more of a teenage audience will skirt a line when it comes to sexuality, but not when it comes to breaking down a character both physically and mentally.

Take Steven Universe for example. The main villains are literally three different types of space Hitler. People die on screen, and though blood is never really used, the character's take massive physical damage to their bodies in a show that's target demographic is like 10-13 year olds. People literally get bisected in this show. But then pretty much everything about sexuality is metaphorical and shit with the whole fusion concept. According to sources I've heard, the reason Steven Universe ended like it did was because all future seasons were cancelled because of a gay wedding scene. This could be wrong, so take it with a grain of salt but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

People that would justify something like that would bring up that children shouldn't witness a scene where two characters of the same sex kissing. That's the excuse Disney used when Alex Hirsch tried to make the two cops gay. In the end he just had to make them incredible friends that support each other(but everyone watching the show knew what was going on between them). Disney didn't want there to be a gay couple, but gave the green light to several scenes that included blood, death, intent to kill, gruesome body and psychological horror, stalking, romance without consent, and Stan's entire existence.

However, I'm sorry to say this, but if a twelve year old kid sees two characters of the same sex kissing, and they feel like they want to kiss someone of the same sex, then that doesn't mean that the show changed them. That means they were already gay/bi to begin with and the show just awakened them to that fact. It's like those conservatives saying that being gay is a choice because they wanted to kiss their male/female coworkers but suppressed it. That's not them making a choice, that's them suppressing their sexuality, since as most people know your sexuality isn't a choice.

That's what I mean when I say fiction enhances reality. As someone who actively engages in debates against people, as well as someone who actively studies stuff like propaganda and their effects on people, I can say this with clear certainty. When someone makes propaganda, they don't make it to change people's minds. They make it to gather people with like minded ideas or to enhance the doubts and ideas hidden within people's minds.

This is a writing site, so this example will be even better. Why does an author write in a specific genre? Do they do it to attract people that don't like the genre? No, they write in it to attract people that already has an interest in the genre or to draw in people with a passing interest to the genre.

There is only one time fiction will actually affect reality, and that's for young children under the age of 10. It's why violence and sex shouldn't be exposed to them at such a young age cause it can distort their views on reality since being so young they don't even have a concept of reality yet. But once they reach their teens, people still treat teenagers as if their minds are fragile and can't handle the word penis and vagina or condom. Oh but they can watch as a kid's life gets turned upside when he learns his mother was a fourth space Hitler, and seeing his closest friends getting their bodies destroyed in an alien invasion with the threat of death and genocide hanging over them, breaking him mentally until the stress and pressure turns him into a literal monster. But if they say penis, oh my god think of the children.

This whole post was just me going on a long, pretty out of order rant about my opinions. For the people that got through this and understood what I said in this long post, what are y'alls opinions.

D

Deleted member 54065

Well, all I can say is, I am a teacher. A teacher of language and literature. I can separate fiction from reality, and I try to teach my students the same.

Violent video games? In the first place, it is like the violence we see on TV; someone older (and who understands the situation) should be guiding us instead of us discovering reality for ourselves (and ending up with our own interpretation of it). I mean, the heck? Where do those game creators get those 'violent' scenes anyway? From the dust in the air? No! It's on what happens everyday and in every corner of the world.

Point short: Learn to separate reality from fiction.

M.G.Driver

I'm pretty sure fiction affects reality 100%. It's the basis for all our childhood stories and education, where they use fables and stories with a purpose of instilling a moral compass in impressionable kids at their young age.

Is Aesop's Fables fiction? Yup. Did they teach me some of my morals? Yup.

Not even going to go into the ancient mythology stories etc. Basically I believe environment affects kids, and fiction is part of that guiding force.

Nekroz

I want people's opinions on this because I'm genuinely curious about this concept. I'm under the idea that fiction doesn't affect reality. As in I don't believe shit like playing violent video games somehow makes people more likely to go out and cause mass murders. Seeing movies that glorify violence or sex won't inherently change a person's mindset to be more likely to ignore or parade such concepts as something to be actively celebrated. If a person celebrates real life violence, they already had the predetermined mindset to do that, with or without fiction's hand in the matter

However, I do understand, and I believe the idea that fiction enhances reality. As in if someone where to commit murder, and they played violent games or watched violent movies, they would do it with or without the fiction's hand in the matter. If a murderer watched a violent movie, it was because they were already attracted to violence to begin with, and seeing the violent movie would only enhance that understanding of themselves. Same thing with sexual themes. If someone finds out they're gay because they saw Leonardo DiCaprio shirtless in one of the movies, they were already gay and seeing that only made them realize that fact. As in it enhanced they're gayness, and as funny as that sounds, I mean it.

I remember Noralities when she was talking about how fiction affects reality and in her talk about cancel culture, she brought up the movie "The Birth of a Nation" and how it basically put the triple K back into some sort of power after years of basically being dead. However, she failed to mention that it was 1915 and even with the triple K being basically dead, people were still very racist and the movie just took those people's personalities and enhanced them until they blew. Honestly, that video of hers is pretty garbage and she got into some massive controversy after that video and her trash isekai video, but that statement she made stuck in my mind.

There's also this very specific points that I hear pop up time and time again, though thankfully this point seems to be dying as of late cause it was very dumb to begin with. We all should know the point that news broadcasters in the early 2000s constantly brought up. X murderer or criminal was a fan of Y violent movie/game. However, they fail to bring up the fact that X murderer had very obvious mental defects. The amount of times GTA was brought up in the news after a mass shooting still rings in my head cause it was pretty common to hear about in the early 2000s and even in the early 2010s.

This all kind of came to a head when a thread popped up on here talking about the differences of violence and sex in media, and how people can get their arms cut off in children's shows, but references to sex and sexuality is seen as taboo. Even in shows aimed to more of a teenage audience will skirt a line when it comes to sexuality, but not when it comes to breaking down a character both physically and mentally.

Take Steven Universe for example. The main villains are literally three different types of space Hitler. People die on screen, and though blood is never really used, the character's take massive physical damage to their bodies in a show that's target demographic is like 10-13 year olds. People literally get bisected in this show. But then pretty much everything about sexuality is metaphorical and shit with the whole fusion concept. According to sources I've heard, the reason Steven Universe ended like it did was because all future seasons were cancelled because of a gay wedding scene. This could be wrong, so take it with a grain of salt but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

People that would justify something like that would bring up that children shouldn't witness a scene where two characters of the same sex kissing. That's the excuse Disney used when Alex Hirsch tried to make the two cops gay. In the end he just had to make them incredible friends that support each other(but everyone watching the show knew what was going on between them). Disney didn't want there to be a gay couple, but gave the green light to several scenes that included blood, death, intent to kill, gruesome body and psychological horror, stalking, romance without consent, and Stan's entire existence.

However, I'm sorry to say this, but if a twelve year old kid sees two characters of the same sex kissing, and they feel like they want to kiss someone of the same sex, then that doesn't mean that the show changed them. That means they were already gay/bi to begin with and the show just awakened them to that fact. It's like those conservatives saying that being gay is a choice because they wanted to kiss their male/female coworkers but suppressed it. That's not them making a choice, that's them suppressing their sexuality, since as most people know your sexuality isn't a choice.

That's what I mean when I say fiction enhances reality. As someone who actively engages in debates against people, as well as someone who actively studies stuff like propaganda and their effects on people, I can say this with clear certainty. When someone makes propaganda, they don't make it to change people's minds. They make it to gather people with like minded ideas or to enhance the doubts and ideas hidden within people's minds.

This is a writing site, so this example will be even better. Why does an author write in a specific genre? Do they do it to attract people that don't like the genre? No, they write in it to attract people that already has an interest in the genre or to draw in people with a passing interest to the genre.

There is only one time fiction will actually affect reality, and that's for young children under the age of 10. It's why violence and sex shouldn't be exposed to them at such a young age cause it can distort their views on reality since being so young they don't even have a concept of reality yet. But once they reach their teens, people still treat teenagers as if their minds are fragile and can't handle the word penis and vagina or condom. Oh but they can watch as a kid's life gets turned upside when he learns his mother was a fourth space Hitler, and seeing his closest friends getting their bodies destroyed in an alien invasion with the threat of death and genocide hanging over them, breaking him mentally until the stress and pressure turns him into a literal monster. But if they say penis, oh my god think of the children.

This whole post was just me going on a long, pretty out of order rant about my opinions. For the people that got through this and understood what I said in this long post, what are y'alls opinions.
I'm a Christian, OK? Now before you automatically disagree with what I'm about to say, the Bible actually does touch on this topic. Not exactly directly, but it does.

You're still here? Good.

I'm sure you know about Satan, the enemy, the devil. Well Satan is a spirit, just like the holy spirit is a spirit. And just like the holy spirit he can bring thoughts, ideas, and other things to a person's mind. Unfortunately, he is not the only evil spirit. There are countless spirits in this world all trying to bring about evil. Since they lack bodies though they have to use intermediaries, Us.

So, when people see something violent or evil on TV, they have a choice: A. They resist the temptation to copy what they saw. Or B. They don't.

This applies to pretty much everything.

(Also, no one is born gay.)

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
Completely Disagree.
Propoganda can and does change minds.
People are not born gay, or in the wrong body, or as violent murderers.
You are affected by the content you surround yourself with. You can change your own mind about things by doing so.

Degeneracy shouldn't be propagated throughout society.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
I'm pretty sure fiction affects reality 100%. It's the basis for all our childhood stories and education, where they use fables and stories with a purpose of instilling a moral compass in impressionable kids at their young age.
That's pretty much my whole last paragraph in a nutshell. Fiction only affects a person's worldview when they're exceptionally young, around the age of 10 and younger. Once people reach their teenage years, they start discovering who they are as a person, whether that be for the better or worst. As people grow older, they tend to become less likely to let fiction or propaganda effect them cause as the brain fully develops, it becomes harder and harder to change a person's worldview. If a person is a Christian when they're 25, it's harder to convince them to be an atheist or a muslim. Meanwhile its a lot easier to convince a 10 year old Christian kid to change religion.

That's pretty much the basis of what I based my opinion around.

D

Deleted member 54065

Completely Disagree.
You are affected by the content you surround yourself with. You can change your own mind about things by doing so.

Degeneracy shouldn't be propagated throughout society.
As an educator, I partly agree to this, not because some points in this thread reply are wrong, but there's one thing lacking.

While taking an education course, our college professor told us that people's lives are affected by two things: Nature and Nurture. Here, in this specific thread, we're talking about the 'Nurture' part, where everything we see, hear, and touch affects our perspective of the world (and so our attitudes and behavior).

Now, there's also the Nature part. Basically, it's the DNA, the genes, you inherited from your parents. People who have mental issues have a long family history of having it.

Now, fiction affecting reality? Yes, it's true. The real question is, can the person separate 'fiction' from 'reality'? It boils down to his/her Nature and Nurture. Hence, my earlier reply mentioned the need for 'adults who can understand' to process the information being received by their children.

That's pretty much my whole last paragraph in a nutshell. Fiction only affects a person's worldview when they're exceptionally young, around the age of 10 and younger. Once people reach their teenage years, they start discovering who they are as a person, whether that be for the better or worst. As people grow older, they tend to become less likely to let fiction or propaganda effect them cause as the brain fully develops, it becomes harder and harder to change a person's worldview. If a person is a Christian when they're 25, it's harder to convince them to be an atheist or a muslim. Meanwhile its a lot easier to convince a 10 year old Christian kid to change religion.

That's pretty much the basis of what I based my opinion around.
Younger minds are malleable, compared to, let's say, those who are in their late teens going to 20s and 30s. This is why education is important in these early stages, so the society can help the children be a productive member in the future. This is where we can apply the 'fiction affects reality'.

What I don't agree with, is people accusing those who play 'violent' games of becoming serial murderers themselves. As a lawyer in my country, I've seen prominent members of churches here, averted to playing violent games (often claiming its the work of the devil and similar shit) become abusers themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
I'm a Christian, OK? Now before you automatically disagree with what I'm about to say, the Bible actually does touch on this topic. Not exactly directly, but it does.

You're still here? Good.

I'm sure you know about Satan, the enemy, the devil. Well Satan is a spirit, just like the holy spirit is a spirit. And just like the holy spirit he can bring thoughts, ideas, and other things to a person's mind. Unfortunately, he is not the only evil spirit. There are countless spirits in this world all trying to bring about evil. Since they lack bodies though they have to use intermediaries, Us.

So, when people see something violent or evil on TV, they have a choice: A. They resist the temptation to copy what they saw. Or B. They don't.

This applies to pretty much everything.

(Also, no one is born gay.)
Well, I'm personally an atheist. I don't really believe in a God. However, I'm not going to say your opinion isn't valid because our personalized worldviews differ. I don't get the whole devil's temptation thing, since I look at things through a more scientific lens than a belief based one, and I'm not going to say which one is more valid than the other. Personally both have their own merits.

I can point to study after study where it specifically says that people are born gay, they're just not born with a sexual drive since puberty doesn't become a thing until preteen years, and sometimes earlier. I don't care if you disagree, as long as you're not an asshole about it and try to say that your worldview is above another persons.

Christianity, Atheism, I don't care what you fall under. As long as we can discuss like adults, I don't have a problem with your belief.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Fiction can affect reality but very few people other than the youth have the agency or willingness to really be affected and have their lives change forever. On the other hand fiction doesn’t necessarily cause school shooting but I’d rather say it’s because of the media, pharmaceuticals, and school establishments which contributed to these issues in some way or another. For example pharmaceutical companies are known to have very dangerous side effects which can only be cured with more drugs and it’s practically made like this to create a profit. And I did differentiate between the media and fiction as the media has real influence over society as opposed to fiction which may be a little more questionable.
I once heard about (I'm sure this is fictional) a man who was on his death bed and confessed that he was attracted to children and was proud he lived his whole life without acting on it.

Was that person still a pedophile?
Probably happened tbh. We have like 8 billion people. And he’s that’s still a pedo. Just as a racist would be racist for holding racist thoughts but not acting on it

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Completely Disagree.
Depends. Show Korean propaganda to a heavily patriotic American and they probably won't fall under its influence. It all depends on their early influence.
I can point to studies that say otherwise for the first two things. As for the last point, nature versus nurture comes to mind. Someone with an overall average upringing grows up and causes a school shooting. Was that in their nature, or was there some influence when they were young that no one knew about to change them as they grow. It's a whole thing that I don't have the expertise or experience to go over.
I once heard about (I'm sure this is fictional) a man who was on his death bed and confessed that he was attracted to children and was proud he lived his whole life without acting on it.

Just cause you don't act on urges, doesn't mean those urges aren't present.

D

Deleted member 54065

As for the last point, nature versus nurture comes to mind. Someone with an overall average upringing grows up and causes a school shooting. Was that in their nature, or was there some influence when they were young that no one knew about to change them as they grow. It's a whole thing that I don't have the expertise or experience to go over.
Or it can be both. Nature and nurture.

Every single person in this world has their deepest, darkest desires that once it ever gets out, the whole perspective on their lives would drastically change.

It's what other Christians say, one may be tempted, but acting on their temptations is the sin.

FaustVoncleave

Sorry, went off topic and it kinda became a rant.

Fiction can absolutely affect people's thoughts and make both positive and negative changes on a person/reality, and this isn't even an opinion. If you're not a Christian or catholic then the bible is fiction and it has huge effects on people, and if you do believe in the bible then you must admit that other religious documents are false and yet they've had huge impacts on people as well, it's just objective fact. That said, cases of fiction making huge impacts on people are pretty rare, ESPECIALLY when the fiction clarifies that it IS fiction from the get go (I only brought out the big guns earlier to clarify that fiction can definitely affect the mind and reality.) Most fictional works whether game, book, movie or otherwise mostly just gives people temporary mood changes for a few hours. The big issue with this topic is that nature definitely also plays a part, and what negatively affects one person can positively affect another. A work that mostly has a small effect on most people might have major effects on a few people who particularly resonate with it. Since we all have unique needs, there's no real way to 'fix' issues like this, as getting rid of something dangerous to one person is getting rid of another person's coping mechanism. Some people and media will push the idea we can censor or make correction and everything will be better, but it's just laughable and the biggest fantasy of them all. No matter what someone's needs aren't going to be met, and the side who's needs don't match the current majority will be belittled, calling them babies, psychos, or whatever slurs needed to dehumanize them and not let everyone realize this is f'd up. This is just the reality of the human condition. If it wasn't video games or fiction, it'd be something else, and it WILL be something else eventually. Its just the blaming of a complex problem on a simple strawman answer, it happens every generation to couple generations. We're unique and impressionable creatures, which is simply a hard combination to catter to en mass.

FaustVoncleave

Yes, by definition he is a pedophile, as the word only means someone who's sexually attracted to kids. That doesn't make them a bad person though. The issue with the word pedophile is that it often gets roped in with child rapist, and rape is always bad. He was a pedophile, but he wasn't a rapist.

vzymmer

Where the admin at?

This could get ugly real fast y'know.

Also fiction is fiction and reality is reality.
But the mind is easily influenced by what we see and hear.

It still depends on the person though.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
Depends. Show Korean propaganda to a heavily patriotic American and they probably won't fall under its influence. It all depends on their early influence.
Plenty of americans believe communist and socialist propoganda. It may not be korean, but it's still propoganda.
I can point to studies that say otherwise for the first two things.
I heavily call into question the scientific credibility of such studies.
As for the last point, nature versus nurture comes to mind. Someone with an overall average upringing grows up and causes a school shooting. Was that in their nature, or was there some influence when they were young that no one knew about to change them as they grow. It's a whole thing that I don't have the expertise or experience to go over.
Why bring this point up if even you don't know. Do you think i know? I could speculate that they wanted media infamy but i don't know either. It was probably a spiritual issue.

For nature vs nurture, I believe that man is corrupted (sinful) from his original purpose. This is reflected by genetic maladies and body breakdown as we age. There is no gay gene, or trans gene, intersex is either sterile or has one set of functioning reproductive organs. Mental illnesses and disorders are caused by genetic dysfunction AND nurture/environmental factors.
Even Adults will decieve themselves if the truth goes against their desires. And with so much propaganda around, it can be hard to discern the truth.

RobBanks

You can learn a lot from fiction and apply it to your reality as well. You may let it act as your muse in certain situations, so to say.
That is a sign you are a smart person :blobthumbsup:.

On the other hand, you may let a certain piece of theory or fiction completely control you, and dictate your whole life, to the point where you can barely distinguish between your favorite book/movie/game and the real world you live in.
That is a sign you are mentally challenged :blob_facepalm:.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Plenty of americans believe communist and socialist propoganda. It may not be korean, but it's still propoganda.
Those American's were most likely raised to believe that stuff from the beginning with propaganda fed to them from their parents. If you show a grown adult communist propaganda, and they weren't raised to approve of communistic ideals, but they still fed into it, then that means that they either shared those views to begin with, even by a little, or they have low common sense.
I heavily call into question the scientific credibility of such studies.
You know, a lot of people will say that they will question the scientific credibility of things, but they can never really bring up any credible scientific evidence of their point. So, I pose a challenge to you. Try to find any sort of peer reviewed scientific article that backs up your point. Only then can you say that you can question the studies I can bring up, because otherwise you're just speaking through emotion cause science doesn't back your inherent belief. Just saying I'mma look through it and do research on the authors of said article to see if they have a certain bias or not.

I'm very thorough when it comes to evidence, so if you want to try to discuss with me on a scientific bases, you have to back it up.
Do you think i know?
That is kind of my issue with your reply in general. You speak on these issues as if you do know, but provide no evidence to back it up.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/is-homosexuality-a-choice/

Meanwhile I can back up my evidence with stuff like this. Give it a read. It highlights a number of differences between straight and gay men from a genetic component and brain activity. The whole reason I brought it up was because you said it in a way as if you were stating fact, which I can bring in scientific facts to prove my claim.