Fight scenes??

strawcake

Like I'm writing a fight scene yeah? But after re-reading it first:

The pacing is absolutely terrible, it's goes from one point and another point without that much development.

I feel like the fight doesn't even sound that exciting, like where you imagine a big scene to showcase how powerful your mc is off the bat.

Please help me!! ✨

SailusGebel

Horizon42

Fight scenes, or any scene for that matter, are extremely boring when written from a moment to moment basis. What you want to describe is things that showcase the switching of dominance in the fight. Showcase things that have an emotional impact. Things that have meaning to the story beyond action and reaction.

Andrew_Udell

Don't get bogged down in the details. You can use abstract language and let the reader fill in the details for themselves.

Ex 1: "The two swordsmen engaged in a deadly dance. Their blades flung through the air like ribbons of a floor gymnast as the parried and countered each other with frightening precision."

Ex 2: "The two men barked at one another before the first fist flew. They swung with reckless abandon as their alcohol soaked breathe polluted the air. Neither attempted to dodge the other's attack, but chose to absorb the blow to prove their toughness in a display of toxic masculinity."

Last edited:

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
If you have the time, perhaps write out your fight scene (this works best with a backlog or with an adjustable plot, or long update schedule), then wait a week. Do other shit during that week, like play games, or write some slice of life or whatever. Maybe invite someone over for fun tiemz.

Then, reread it, preferably aloud (whispering to yourself works). The idea is that you forget YOUR mental movie when you wrote it and are trying to reconstruct it. If reconstructing fails and you have to fall back on recalling your original head-movie, you found where you had a snag. Beta readers are also excellent for this, especially ones you trust as you can message with them and have a conversation about what's supposed to happen (DON'T TELL THEM WHAT'S SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN BEFORE THEY READ IT.) and then the two of ya could work on how to make it more apparent. Also, yes, exploit the fact that reader-movies are different than writer-movies. Lean into it, and only really describe when you really have to.

(and don't pay too much attention to me writing horrid fight scenes for NaNoWriMo.... shhhhhhhh)

(Edit: You seem to already be doing reread-reread-ohcrap, so umm.... try to find parts of your scene that work, parts that don't and ask yourself why? Throwing shit in the air with that one, hopefully it helps)